Dish Retailer Chat

Actually Wildblue just started their 12MB service this week.

And I believe Wildblue and Viasat are the same company... I am thinking DISH does not want to promote Wildblue since they own Hughesnet. :)

They are, I talked to them at DISH's booth because I work with someone who has their older service and is constantly getting throttled by their caps. The Viasat engineer told me that if you totaled up all thier legacy assets and put them all together. It wouldn't be 1/6th of the capacity of their new Viasat satellite, and they plan on putting a second one up in orbit over the summer with the same capacity. DISH had Hughes and Viasat set up on the other side of their little stage with demos of their respective services. (The Viasat modem had a computer and even an VoIP phone attached to it.)

The guy their said that customers can call them up and ask to get service installed starting last Monday, but that co-worker I mentioned got a call back from them saying that they are going to start scheduling installs in our area in two weeks.

And just to re-iterate this one more time for people who are like "WTF?" about the speeds and caps compared to their current service... if you have Cable/DSL/Fiber service in your area.... this is NOT for you. It's for the people who live so far out that the only other option to get connected is to use dial-up or cellular services.

12Mbps is pretty awesome for satellite. I'm excited for the people in rural areas. Hell, in my town the fastest DSL speed you can get is 12Mbps and that's what I have. I'm not sure what Mediacom's is right now. When I had them I had 8Mbps but I think they go over 10Mbps now. Here at work we have 3Mbps and it gets the job done.

try running a business off of that and see what happens....

Actually I do have a network at work that we have TWC as our internet provider. They charge us $62 a month for only 5 Mbps download, but we do have 8 work stations hooked up to it, plus a wireless access point and they don't cap us. However if we want the speed I have at home they will charge me double what we are paying now. Its slower yes, but since I am the administrator so I control our bandwidth.:)

Heck, it looks like it will be competitive with DSL in many many markets and Hughesnet is going to be better? Maybe this will encourage these phone companies to improve their DSL service. $43 for 5 MB down and 0.5 up (Frontier DSL) is not as fast as 12 MB down and 3 MB up for $50 (SAT). A lot of people would not go over the 10 GB monthly limit and even if they wanted to go to the $15 tier it is still a bit faster than some areas with DSL. This is if their service has consistant higher speeds. If their speeds drop down to half those speeds then there is no real advantage of their service unless their DSL sucks.

I am just glad the cable company ran new fiber to a new node next to my house today and offering 50 MB next week. Not a bad offering for being out in the country. We had no providers about a year ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts