Dish Rights and Permission

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mattwj2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what my rights are and what the likelihood was that I would be able to put up a dish from dish network. I have a large patio according to my best guess and calculations it should work.

What I am wondering is if my landlord will approve of me putting up a dish. Have you guys had many problems? This is on a patio not a roof or anything.

Thanks.

Matt

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what my rights are and what the likelihood was that I would be able to put up a dish from dish network. I have a large patio according to my best guess and calculations it should work.

What I am wondering is if my landlord will approve of me putting up a dish. Have you guys had many problems? This is on a patio not a roof or anything.

Thanks.

Matt

Matt,

Check out the FCC OTARD Rules FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

By this ruling it specifies any permitted restrictions, as well as lays out what is specifically not allowed to be restricted.

If you have an area that is for only your specific use, and not common to any other tenants you can NOT be restricted from installing satellite dishes to be able to receive any and all needed satellite signals for the channels you are subscribed too.

NO HOA/Landlord can specifically restrict or ban installation of any Satellites dishes under 1 meter or any OTA Antenna of any size as long as the antennas are installed in the homeowners exclusive use areas. Nor can any other entity dictate placement, require permits etc.. except for homeowners within a historic district.

If somebody gives you grief, tell them to take you to court. March into Court with a copy of the FCC OTARD rules and present them to a judge it'll be over in minutes, and the individual or entity that summoned you to court will be required to pay any and all court costs.

If your HOA/Landlord has or had any language in the lease or any other legal agreement forbidding Antennas, Satellite Dishes that you signed, those Clause are null and void and you are not under any legal agreement to adhere to them as they are strictly ILLEGAL, regardless of you signing any said documents.

With all that said it would be best to approach the HOA/Landlord in advance and ask/or politely tell them of your intentions. If they balk and get upset, point out the FCC rules and explain you are within your rights, before mentioning or telling them they will have to take you to court in they refuse to work with you.

John

Last edited:
Landlord has more rights since he is the actual owner of the property.

You need landlord permission to attach devices to his property, you can't just treat it as if it was your property.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts