DISH rv setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tdst51

Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Somewhere in the Ozarks...
I hope you guys can help. I'm trying to put together a satellite setup for my rv. My question is, can a single LNB from an old DIRECTV dish be used with a DISH 500 dish? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

tdst51 said:
I hope you guys can help. I'm trying to put together a satellite setup for my rv. My question is, can a single LNB from an old DIRECTV dish be used with a DISH 500 dish? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

No, you will need an LNB made for the Dish 500.

Hi, an old Directv LNB will not mount on the Dish 500 without a lot of fuss; however, you might be able to get the whole Directv dish with LNB to work. It would only see one satellite. You would need to run a check switch on your receiver and then I think the Dish receiver would see it as a legacy LNB.

Hope this helps, DC

You should be able to get a Dish 500 pretty cheap. If you want to get a "new" one then check out www.dishstore.net (one of the sponsors here). If you are OK with a used one there are a couple of options. 1 - Find a local Dish retailer and just walk in and see what they will charge you. 2 - (my favorite) Try to catch a Dish van/truck at a local gas station or doing an install and ask the guy if he has any extras that he has taken down. I did option 2 for my first tailgate setup (now I use a 1000.2). The guy was going to give it to me for free, but I gave him $20 as a tip and we were both happy.

The "used" route is basically how I went, but for a simple reason... When they came out to put the new DishPro Quad LNB on, the installer literally just threw the old Dish 500 dual LNB and dish off the roof. He was literally going to put it in the garbage, but I kept it because of this exact purpose (RV). I still have one "old" Dish 500 compatible receiver (501), that just sits in a spare bedroom, and I yank it out when going in the RV.

I took the old Dish 500 LNB / dish, bought one of the cheap $30 folding dish tripods (that have the bubble level, compass and azimuth markings on it) and now I have a "portable" Dish setup for my RV, or any other need.

picture.php

I did add one useful item:

It's about $25, just a cheap, inline signal strength meter. Super handy when setting up the dish and you can't see the signal meter on the TV.

picture.php

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)