DISH RV Setup

Range Maggot Bob

Original poster
New to the forum; hope you guys can help. I used to have DirecTV for my RV. I would run a cable from the dish to my SAT receptacle on the outside of the RV and then run the cable from the receptacle inside to the receiver. Everything always worked just fine. Reason being is because, as you guys know, there is no splitters in the run from the dish to the receiver. Never had a problem. So recently switched to DISH, and ran my cable to the same receptacle on the outside of the RV. Must have gone through the setup procedure a hundred times. No signal. So I ran the cable directly from the dish to the receiver- through the window. Now I'm able to complete the setup and it actually works! Anybody have a clue? Thanks so much for any help and info!

New to the forum; hope you guys can help. I used to have DirecTV for my RV. I would run a cable from the dish to my SAT receptacle on the outside of the RV and then run the cable from the receptacle inside to the receiver. Everything always worked just fine. Reason being is because, as you guys know, there is no splitters in the run from the dish to the receiver. Never had a problem. So recently switched to DISH, and ran my cable to the same receptacle on the outside of the RV. Must have gone through the setup procedure a hundred times. No signal. So I ran the cable directly from the dish to the receiver- through the window. Now I'm able to complete the setup and it actually works! Anybody have a clue? Thanks so much for any help and info!

What type of dish are you using?

We will need to know what type of dish you are using, which Receiver, The rating on the Sat receptacle and the cabling from the sat receptacle to the receiver.
Only with complete knowledge can those here who are muche smarter then me give you accurate answers.

Reactions: NYDutch and HipKat
It sounds like the coax wiring in your RV doesn't support 3Ghz but as others have said, more information is needed.

Playmaker dual automatic satellite finder, Wally receiver and the cable that came with the dish. I believe it's RG6.

I tried hooking up back through the trailer receptacle, and it works now. I'm really baffled why it didn't work before, but I'm not complaining. Thank you guys for the input.

Do you have a coax connector just for satellite or is it the Park Cable connection you are using? If it is the Park Cable connection, you are lucky if it works at all. The cable runs through the OTA antenna power supply which has a electronic switch to toggle between the OTA and the cable. That electronic switch is no where rated for satellite signals.

But maybe you are getting through if the LED light is off meaning the switch to to the Park Cable input.

The best thing is a separate coax input cable for satellite. Second best is to modify the OTA power plate so that the cable can be disconnected from the electronic switch. Search the Internet for a photo example of the change.

I had the exact same problem you described as I went from the giant DirecTV dish to a Winegard Pathway X2 and Wally setup. On my RV I removed the cable connector from the rabbit ear circuit board and basically created 2 satellite connections from the 2 receptacles on the the outside of the RV. I believe jack may be correct and the internal cable in RVs is just cheap crap causing our hit and miss problem. It works on DTV because it’s much more forgiving in my opinion. We have another trip coming up and I’m going to do some more testing with my setup and the internal wiring and see what happens. In the mean time my flat cable adapter has been getting a lot of use. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)