Dish Said to Plan Blockbuster Rival to Netflix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I had blockbuster mail package for several years. At one point I had a movie at #1 spot on my queue for close to a year listed as a long wait. It was the Man from Earth. I doubt this movie was unavailable due to popularity. When I switched to netflix I saw it was available to watch instantly. I think Blockbuster lists some titles as a long wait when they don't have a single copy.

Dish-Blockbuster-Netflix-Quickster-Whatever it's called ! These our all fine and dandy but if you don't live in a area with high speed internet, the downloading of movies is useless !

I've used Blockbuster since the started there mail service and I never have to wait for disc. Now does that mean the disc in the #1 position gets sent every time.... NO....but that I have 50 or so other movies that I want to watch in there as well so not a big deal at all. For where I live its a 48hr turn around time...I LOVE my $19.99 a month for unlimited with in store exchanges and an additional coupon for a movie or game rental every month.

Blockbuster may be an option for those of you that live in the CONUS but in the US Virgin Islands the local Blockbuster outlet is owned by a franchise in Puerto Rico.

You can't exchange discs received by mail at the local Blockbusters, the last time they checked the local store still charged late fees and unless something has changed Blockbusters doesn't have the rights to stream to the USVI.

Netflix takes four days each way for a movie by mail and they made streaming in the USVI legal June 30th. I have a 1.5 Mbs internet connection so I can stream movies in SD OK. Most residential connections in the USVI are 500Kbs so streaming will be marginal.

Hopefully Dish will work with the local Blockbuster franchise and we will get some of the benefits from the merger that CONUS Dish subs are getting.

Ghpr13-I'm equally unimpressed with disc availablity. Seems like practically every thing but OLD stuff stays SHORT/LONG/VERY LONG wait or ON ORDER for a LONG time.........:rolleyes: I'm hoping this is because of a sudden upsurge in subscribers that left Netflix and they'll increase their inventory.:confused:

Ed

Ed,
That's a good point you made about the upsurge. I, like you, hope that's what it is. I do know it's very frustrating to see a better library than Netflix had, yet not be able to get any of the ones you want to see.

Ghpr13:(

Dish-Blockbuster-Netflix-Quickster-Whatever it's called ! These our all fine and dandy but if you don't live in a area with high speed internet, the downloading of movies is useless !

Blockbuster and Qwikster don't require high-speed Internet.

I dropped Netflix yesterday. I don't want two services, and I hated the name Qwikster. It will be interesting to see what Dish and Blockbuster offer.

Does anyone else think that Dish offering a streaming service via Blockbuster will lead to a lot of drama? :popcorn

It's a similar model to their TV service... every x number of years they have to renegotiate... but the price of content is still very much in flux and has escalated quickly the last couple of years. Starz reportedly wanted $300m from Netflix... up from $30m. Doesn't matter if it was Netflix or BB Online, Starz would no longer be on that service, this time BB Online just happens to be the beneficiary of the move.

Xmen first class and Thor were the top 2 in my queue, both with long wait, and they both shipped after each of my returns. So your claim is not so cut and dry.

I'm happy it's worked that way for you but it hasn't for me.......I'm hoping things will improve.

Ed

Xmen first class and Thor were the top 2 in my queue, both with long wait, and they both shipped after each of my returns. So your claim is not so cut and dry.

This might just back up what Ed said about BB having to increase their inventory because of the upsurge in subscribers...With older movies not having enough copies yet, while new movies are being bought in greater quantities by BB so they can handle the request on the newer movies from many more subscribers. I mean before Netflix screw up, how many ever even considered BB for DVD rentals via the mail?

Ghpr13:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)