Dish Sat Setup

CLASSICDIRECTV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
Shreveport Louisiana USA
I'm getting a hopper 2-3 and possibly some joeys and am moving in around 6-12 months. is it easy to set up the sat ? it would be a 1000.2 WA. The reason why I ask is because I asked about a playmaker and people suggested me not to. The only reason I'm kind of scared to do a traditional dish setup is because I tried to set up a 1000.4 EA and could not get it to give me any signal at all (tried aiming with a hopper 1 hopper duo and a VIP 222k and never got any signal -currently live in Shreveport LA-. main concern is if it can be aimed by someone who has never aimed a sat and that its super easy to aim it without a fancy aim tool

forgot to add that it will be mounted onto a piece of wood held down by 2 cinderblocks at the current and new house. also, would dish do pay-as-you-go with these receivers I currently have and also getting?

Why not let them install the dish and equipment for FREE for a two year contract? There's NO advantage to installing your own equipment, because they'll charge you the same fees regardless of leased or owned. That's been true for many years.

the issue is that my parents don't want to pay for it and I'm 14 but my grandpa is willing to pay for it but we are moving to texas soon and they won't want a sat on the roof of the house
They can put it on a 4 or 5' pole in the ground. When you move, you can dig it up, or leave it and take the dish. Nothing to it, at most 1 bag of cement. The coax will only be just below the yard, easy to pull up, or just leave it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Why not let them install the dish and equipment for FREE for a two year contract? There's NO advantage to installing your own equipment, because they'll charge you the same fees regardless of leased or owned. That's been true for many years.
Haven't checked recently but a couple of years ago, DISH reduced the additional receiver fees (primary receiver fee still full price) on owned equipment.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have you determined if there is a location at your future home that has "sight" of the necessary satellites. The 128 satellite is sometimes too low in the west and blocked by local trees or buildings.
You implied you did not need a DVR (ViP222) so why not just connect an antenna to the TV for local channels until a more permanent solution is available.

ok I've came up with a temp solution. Since my TV apps are crappy I'm going to buy a hopper 2 -just for the VOD and Netflix and youtube apps. And for tv, I will get sling with something like an apple tv 4k unless I get a harmony remote that's compatible with my mac

ok I've came up with a temp solution. Since my TV apps are crappy I'm going to buy a hopper 2 -just for the VOD and Netflix and youtube apps. And for tv, I will get sling with something like an apple tv 4k unless I get a harmony remote that's compatible with my mac
Get a Roku, AppleTV, or Amazon Firestick. A sat receiver is WAY overkill and WAY more expensive. Any of the streaming sticks will get you Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc.

Not to mention that without Sat input, the unit could BRICK itself in a month or two.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Hey KAB, pardon my ignorance . . . what does that mean? I know what the term "brick" means but how does the Hopper get into that state and why?
It must receive a periodic "keep-alive HIT" signal over satellite. If not, it'll stop working. However, it won't "brick" itself due to that, it'll just lose authorization to work.

It must receive a periodic "keep-alive HIT" signal over satellite. If not, it'll stop working. However, it won't "brick" itself due to that, it'll just lose authorization to work.
Exactly... Those of us with an "Outdoor" account can pause our accounts at any time just by not paying the next bill. No penalty, no monthly charge, and when we want to restart service months later we simply pay the current price and get sent a hit to reauthorize the receiver. The whole deal only takes a few clicks online. We can also request a hit with an online click anytime we want it. I do that sometimes to help straighten out the guide after changing locals with the MyDish app.

Last edited: