Dish says I own the 722k that I have?

cpapjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Getzville, NY
So, after 8 years, I have finally decided to part ways with Dish. Had I not gotten the deal with Verizon where I'm saving $40/month for the next 2 years, I certainly would've stayed with them.

Anyway, I had 3 receivers: 2 612's and 1 722k (3 or 4 months old). I returned the 612's, but not the 722k, as numerous Dish reps have told me that I own it. How can that be? I don't ever recall "buying" it. If I truly do own it, am I able to sell it?

Yes. To be sure this is what I would do. After it is deactivated, have a Dirt team member check and see if it can be activated, as if someone else bought it from you. That should tell if it is yours or not.

Last edited:
mike123abc said:
Did ever have a big HD upgrade fee or anything? Perhaps you bought it without really knowing you did.

Nope. I am certain of that. I've had unreturned equipment fees a few times, even though I received emails from Dish stating they received the equipment, but never any upgrade fees of any sort.

Dish has given boxes away in the past (they gave me a couple of 811s when they came out) but it has been a long time since I heard of them doing it. It will be interesting to find out what Dirt digs up. Since you have been with Dish 8 years, you would have had to upgrade boxes to get to 612s and 722s. Did you originally buy your boxes?

mike123abc said:
Dish has given boxes away in the past (they gave me a couple of 811s when they came out) but it has been a long time since I heard of them doing it. It will be interesting to find out what Dirt digs up. Since you have been with Dish 8 years, you would have had to upgrade boxes to get to 612s and 722s. Did you originally buy your boxes?

I've always leased my boxes.

I'm more concerned what happens after the Verizon deal? You will really see a price increase considering what Verizon has going on obtaining band width and carriage a year from now. But Good Luck!
I chose to remain with Dish because of programming and a frozen price.

My in laws have Fios. I think the picture is good, box not so good. They seem to have alot of HD channels. But their bill went up the last two years alot, more than Direct or Dish go up. Here's an example of what I call alot, and why I have never thought bundling was the best idea. (and anyone getting their internet phone from their TV provider is paying way too much, yes anyone..... you should use an independant VoiP like Voicepulse or Vonage even if they tell you your cable bill will be more, it won't come close to how much you save with a different Voip)

Updated: Verizon Raising Rates $15 A Month For FiOS, Here Come The Cancellations | Dan Rayburn - StreamingMediaBlog.com

The same thing happened to me when Dish obsoleted the 721. I wasn't quite ready to go HD at the time and got a 522. I remember the Dish rep reading terms of the agreement (maybe more than once) that said the 522 was leased, but there was general opposition to this on the DBS forums as they were replacing an owned receiver with a leased one -- some people reported being able to get Dish to change the status of the 522 from leased to owned but I didn't pursue it for various reasons, long forgotten. Since I owned the 721 I kept it.

Months later I decided to upgrade to HD. The installer came out and installed a 722. When I told him I needed to return the 522 since it was leased, he said it was showing in the system as owned, quite a surprise to me after the whole CSR experience reading the terms of the 721 replacement with such emphasis.

I returned the 522 through the installer anyway and eventually received $7 or $10 for it.

I have a 642 that I though was leased, but when I check my equipment status online, it says that its "owned".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)