Dish Seen In DirecTV’s Orbit

i agree, after the sirius/xm merger i cancelled. xm ruined sirius
It was Sirius that bought XM and it is still Sirius that runs it. So XM could not have ruined Sirius since they have no control over it.

Even if both had control, most of the stations changed to Sirius stations, meaning it impacted XM more.

As long as there is forced bundling of channels and channel providers continue to raise prices, pay TV will continue to go up in cost no matter how many mergers there are.

Prices will continue to go up, until they don't go up. Pay TV providers are already pricing some people out. That will continue to happen until there a few people left who want to get nickel and dimed just to have access to a bunch of channels with nothing on them. Before credits, my bill this month is $130.24. If it weren't for the credits, I'd be watching Antenna TV.

In my market, most of the bars also have Comcast because DIRECTV doesn't carry most of Portland Trailblazer games or the Pac-12 network. The situation in L.A. is even more dire.
Yet every bar and restaurant here in LA still has DirecTV, even though they cannot watch the Lakers. That is because DirecTV is the only carrier that carries every sports package, particularly ST.

i don't know. it was the other way around in my experience. i loved sirius before the merger. after well i canceled when the year started. got tired of the higher prices and poor service. only reason why i didn't sooner was thanks to credits almost making it free for 6 months.
Sirius still controlled it after the merger. So Sirius is to blame for ruining Sirius and XM.

Prices will continue to go up, until they don't go up. Pay TV providers are already pricing some people out. That will continue to happen until there a few people left who want to get nickel and dimed just to have access to a bunch of channels with nothing on them. Before credits, my bill this month is $130.24. If it weren't for the credits, I'd be watching Antenna TV.

I too almost dropped Dish last month. If it were not for retention calling me and offering me a big discount every month I would not have Dish right now. They essentially delayed me from dropping for a year.

Sirius still controlled it after the merger. So Sirius is to blame for ruining Sirius and XM.
Which is strange since Sirius was better before the merger. So basically both services were better by themselves. Combined is a different story,obviously.

I too almost dropped Dish last month. If it were not for retention calling me and offering me a big discount every month I would not have Dish right now. They essentially delayed me from dropping for a year.

I went from the AEP, to the Top 250, to the Top 200 in 5 years. I make sure to use every referral code I get in in order to get the $5/month. So typically, I get $50 in referral credits per month. Its getting to the point where it makes more sense economically to get a good outdoor HD OTA and HD DVR, use the free Roku Dish gave me and just buy the shows I want to see.

Tampa8 said:
Some of us who disagree on other things with each other agree on this point. In the end one satellite company is not good. This has nothing to do with not liking Direct TV or Dish, in fact it's because they are both better than Cable and offer different things that they have to remain as two companies. There are certain things both have to compete with Cable for, but there are things they compete against each other, and that needs to remain.

I agree. We need competition to keep prices prices down and customer service up. Anyone remember when AT&T was the telephone company? I wonder where the technology would be if the monopoly had been allowed to stay in place.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

I went from the AEP, to the Top 250, to the Top 200 in 5 years. I make sure to use every referral code I get in in order to get the $5/month. So typically, I get $50 in referral credits per month. Its getting to the point where it makes more sense economically to get a good outdoor HD OTA and HD DVR, use the free Roku Dish gave me and just buy the shows I want to see.

Essentially I came to the conclusion that I could buy everything for the roku/appleTV for less than I was paying Dish (I have TiVo and OTA for the locals). I had already cancelled when they called me and brought me back.

Isn't a subscription required with TiVo?

I started looking at DVR's and outdoor OTA's. Would be nice to find a few, good 2-4 tuner DVR's and a long-range outdoor OTA that has multiple outputs.

As others have said. Dish is the worst company in the world to work for. They burn through tech's at such a rate that in a few years there will be no one left to work for them. If these companies merge and Dish takes over, every tech that did Directv will be gone in short order. Dishes policy's will either drive them away, or they will fire them for some obscure reason. The biggest thing is that there will be less compition to force Dish to treat their tech's with any kind of respect, not that they have much for them now.

Yet haven't there been posts here saying Dish pays better than DirecTV?

Yet haven't there been posts here saying Dish pays better than DirecTV?

Well not in my area. Maybe they do as an hourly tech for in house employee's, those are not around my area. All I can say is I know alot of Ex Dish techs that are now Dirctv techs. Far less B.S. miromanagment to deal with. Dishes routing system is a joke. I know a retailer that is local that is ready to drop Dish due to the charge backs.

I am told that ANY DISH receiver could pick up the standard DIRECTV transponders (but not the KA band stuff) with just a software upgrade. To decode the channels though a NDS card would be needed.
The KA band stuff would just be a matter of the LNB switch set up. That could be changed out. Dish would have to ditch Nagra and go w/ the NDS system which could be done. How long ago was it that you were talking about when you weremonitoring the feeds?

Another thing is for the majority of channels broadcast by Directv are still the same format they were were when Directv started.

Still not hard to switch over. The biggest issue I see are the HD channels which use DVB S2 format.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Not only that on the HD but going 8PSK too on all of it. It would be nice if Iceberg would make some comments on this.

Isn't a subscription required with TiVo?
Yes, but you can get a lifetime sub instead. $499.99 for the first unit, $399.99 for each one after the first. Not the cheapest solution, but the easiest to use and the best solution for the vast majority of people who want to go ota-only (if you're willing to spend that money upfront).

I started looking at DVR's and outdoor OTA's. Would be nice to find a few, good 2-4 tuner DVR's and a long-range outdoor OTA that has multiple outputs.

For what you're looking for, 2 Tivo Premieres or a HTPC with a couple of SiliconDust HDHR3's (2 tuners each) with a Xbox 360 or two is the answer. All other ota dvr's have too many problems and glitches. All ota antennas work with multiple tv's, dvr's, etc. You just need splitters. If you have so many splits that the signal is too weak, then some sort of signal amp is needed.

Before I signed up with Dish a few years ago, we were strictly ota (rooftop antenna), dvd rental/purchases and streaming. I still have and use my pc usb tuner stick to record hd ota broadcasts and I used my Panasonic DMR-EH75V dvd recorder's hdd as a dvr also. I'm already waiting to see what kind of price hike we'll be getting this coming February to see what we're going to do. Go to cable, stick with Dish or go ota with disc rentals and add more streaming services to suppliment Netflix's shortcomings. Believe it or not, my kids are actually pushing for the third option. If we drop Dish, we'll most likely go the HTPC route.

I specifically mentioned Rural subscribers, not all of 'em. A lack of options in rural areas would be one of the sticking points the FCC would consider. Dish & Directv could agree to freeze prices for rural subscribers, and/or give them a rural discount, thus lowering package pricing, in order to get FCC approval.

That's irrelevant. Again, I live in a rural area and I have the option of using any of the big mobile providers, not just two. And, saying it would be less expensive does not = lower prices for all. It could also mean that there would be less of a chance that your bill would increase.

Again, not relevant. Where in the world of business and law has it been concluded that separating services or separating fees from the base subscription price is considered a price increase and not a business decision? Netflix used to included streaming as part of the membership, now its separate. And I can't assume that the reason behind the free Internet listening was because they wanted to increase fees, and not because the music royalty fees Sirius had to pay, a percent of revenue which started at 6.5%, where to be increased annually to 8%. You also have to consider that the Copyright Royalty Board decided what the royalty fees are. Note that the fees Internet radio providers pay is 25% vs the 8% Sirius pays.

Its a debate, and although it can be hard to determine one's tone, I don't take offense and get vindictive because I may not agree with what someone's opinion. :)

You can call it what you want but when SiriusXM took away free streaming and kicked in all the fees it was a price increase. I had two other radios besides my lifetimed radios. I had to pay more after they merged. So yes that is an increase either way you slice it. When I pay more for the same exact service its an increase.

Netflix didn't merge and promise anything. They made a business decision yes. SiriusXM made it seem like they were going to keep all prices the same.

I hope for your sake if they do merge and you being a rural subscriber you don't get screwed but I bet somewhere down the line you will.

And with Verizon... they came out in all their glory about LTE and how it will lower the cost of cell service. It may be irrelevant but that did happen. It's another big company that lied. Just like SiriusXM and I'm sure Dish/Direct will do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts