Dish service at 2nd home

morleyz

Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Didn't find a good answer to this questions while searching, so we're in the process of purchasing a weekend cottage and I was getting to thinking about TV service.

I currently have a Dish HD package at my primary residence.

I would like to get TV on the cheap for the cottage since we'll only be there on weekends or a week or two during throughout the year. I see people frequently buying used equipment for system upgrades and it got me to thinking...can I just guy some used equipment and install it at the cottage and have it added to my existing account like it was just another receiver at my home...or is there more to it? Are there more reputable ways to get used equipment than Ebay (or is that not as risky as it sounds)? Any other details I might be missing?

I'm fairly handy, so I'm sure I can figure out installation details...I just don't know a whole lot out all the different equipment options and if there are any compatibility issues, etc.

Thanks.

That is not actually allowed under the E* rules. That would be what is referred to as "account stacking". So to be in compliance you would need to get a second account there. That being said, there are many people who just take their boxes back and forth between the vacation home and the real home with the logic that if you are in 1 place you aren't watching at the other.

Another thing to be aware of is the audit team (they try to catch people doing account stacking). If you want lots of information on that do a search here and you'll find all you need.

That is not actually allowed under the E* rules. That would be what is referred to as "account stacking". So to be in compliance you would need to get a second account there. That being said, there are many people who just take their boxes back and forth between the vacation home and the real home with the logic that if you are in 1 place you aren't watching at the other.

Another thing to be aware of is the audit team (they try to catch people doing account stacking). If you want lots of information on that do a search here and you'll find all you need.

When you say "audit team", is this people that would come to your house.
Or would it be a person that would call you?:confused:

They call on the phone and require you to read some numbers off each receiver. If you don't have dual tuner (or a large # of) units, you probably have little likelihood of getting audited. If the remote box is a single tuner non-dvr box like the 301, they might accept that you have "unplugged it and put it in a closet" when they call. That said, I don't support account stacking. OTOH, you are not using both at the same time, you're using one or the other.

I understand these are not the politest people when they call, and seem quick to terminate or suspend accounts. I have no first hand experience in this, this is just what I've read here.

Set you a dish up at your cabin.. Then just carry a receiver from your main house with you when you go to the cabin.. The receiver doesn't care where it is.. It's a technicality, but no different than tailgaters that carry a receiver to ballgames.

I've never seen what's wrong with using a receiver at a cottage or something. I mean it's the same family, and obviously they're not watching TV in both places at once. If it's two families at two separate residences, that's a different story.

You do risk the audit when you have boxes in separate locations, but the only people I ever read about being audited have more than 4 tuners on their account, so if you have less, your chances are probably slim.

But why bother with the extra monthly fee for an extra box...just grab one from your house and take it with you.

Seems like the audit guys manage to only hurt the people with legitimate service while those who stack accounts probably have found their way around that too. But hey, if they want to be a pain, there's a customer for them to lose. Not my loss, it's theirs.

Now if someone goes to their "cottage" in the country for weekends, etc., they would not be home when the audit people call them unless the calls from home are forwarded to the cottage.

If this was the case, would or could Dish know? Just have the numbers to all your receivers handy just in case.

The only problem I can think of here is if your locals are on a spot beam and many HD locals now are, if the weekend cottage is several hundred miles away from home you may not be able to get them.

Now if someone goes to their "cottage" in the country for weekends, etc., they would not be home when the audit people call them unless the calls from home are forwarded to the cottage.

If you don't answer on the about the third try then they just shut off all receivers except your main one.

If this was the case, would or could Dish know? Just have the numbers to all your receivers handy just in case.

The only problem I can think of here is if your locals are on a spot beam and many HD locals now are, if the weekend cottage is several hundred miles away from home you may not be able to get them.

That won’t work.

There is a “Location ID” that changes every 10 minutes. Check it out in the system info. It’s not really a location tracker, it’s just a logarithm based on your boxes numbers but they know what it’s supposed to be and if you don’t your box gets shut off.

Come on, they've been doing this a long time and know just about all the tricks. They use amplified headsets to hear if you’re trying to have your wife call a neighbor on her cell phone to get the numbers or typing on yahoo messenger. You’ll get busted.

If you don't answer on the about the third try then they just shut off all receivers except your main one.

That won’t work.

There is a “Location ID” that changes every 10 minutes. Check it out in the system info. It’s not really a location tracker, it’s just a logarithm based on your boxes numbers but they know what it’s supposed to be and if you don’t your box gets shut off.

Come on, they've been doing this a long time and know just about all the tricks. They use amplified headsets to hear if you’re trying to have your wife call a neighbor on her cell phone to get the numbers or typing on yahoo messenger. You’ll get busted.

1. Don't plug your receiver into a phone line. (Dish communication is one way Without a phone line, Dish has no way to "see" your receiver)
2. Don't talk to them if they call.

Honestly... what are they going to do... come knock down your door? Don't cooperate and they can't and won't do anything. This is not a big deal (although TEHCNICALLY against the TOS... but people with RVs ARE allowed to bring their receiver with them)

The people that get caught are the ones that actually sell receivers to other people... that person's system stops working... the seller doesn't or can't fix it.... Dish gets called and NOW you have a problem.

I have experience with the audit police from DISH. A few years back I had about 4 receivers in my house and I had cell only phone service. I got a call while driving into town with the family for supper & a movie. I told the Audit Nazis I couldn't speak to them about my receivers as I was not at home and wouldn't be for about 2 or 3 hours. When I got home all of my receivers were shut off except one. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops with the very RUDE , ARROGANT, a**holes that they were -Audit police. AFter about 30 minutes of calling out codes and software receiver numbers, etc, I got all of my receivers hooked back up and working. Because of this I went back to having a landline, because I also switched to dsl internet . I only have 3 receivers now and have all of them hooked up to phone and by ethernet as well. I never want to go through that again. Believe me they will shut off ALL your receivers except one if you don't call back and do what they want.

1. Don't plug your receiver into a phone line. (Dish communication is one way Without a phone line, Dish has no way to "see" your receiver)
2. Don't talk to them if they call.

Honestly... what are they going to do... come knock down your door? Don't cooperate and they can't and won't do anything. This is not a big deal (although TEHCNICALLY against the TOS... but people with RVs ARE allowed to bring their receiver with them)...

Yeah, go ahead and give that a try! :rolleyes:

Honestly... what are they going to do... come knock down your door? Don't cooperate and they can't and won't do anything. This is not a big deal (although TEHCNICALLY against the TOS... but people with RVs ARE allowed to bring their receiver with them)

Nope they will not come search your house, they will simply turn off the service to all your receivers but the primary one until you call and cooperate with them. Having a bunch of receivers and not having them plugged in to the phone line will invite audits. I have a bunch of receivers, and I have never been audited. I have always have had them plugged into the phone line, they call in report, Dish verifies the caller id (which you cannot block to an 800 number by the way) and they have completed your monthly mini audit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)