Dish shipped 722 in place of 722k

tingari80

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
NJ
I asked dish for a replacement of my old 722 with 722k. But they sent a 722 again instead of 722k. Should i call dish and ask them to send me a 722k. Is it worth my time to ask for 722k when both of them are close. Is there any major benefit?

I asked dish for a replacement of my old 722 with 722k. But they sent a 722 again instead of 722k. Should i call dish and ask them to send me a 722k. Is it worth my time to ask for 722k when both of them are close. Is there any major benefit?

The best benefit you would get is the option to add an over the air module if you have an antenna.
This will allow you to record 4 different programs at the same time.
For me this is the best thing ever. If however, you do not record a lot or do not use an OTA antenna then there is not a lot of difference.

I don't see much difference between having 1 OTA tuner (722) and 2 OTA tuners (722k, if you purchase the OTA module). I rarely need to use OTA as most of the locals are already on satellite, and hardly ever need to record two OTA channels at the same time (again due to the availability of the locals on SAT).

But some of us would like to record 4 shows at the same time and can only record 3 with the 722. With the addition of 12 new HBO and Cinemax channels it's easy to need 4 tuners. Also, the only way to get the CW HD ( Supernatural, Nikita, Ringer, Heart of Dixi, Vampire Diaries, is via OTA.

But some of us would like to record 4 shows at the same time and can only record 3 with the 722. With the addition of 12 new HBO and Cinemax channels it's easy to need 4 tuners. Also, the only way to get the CW HD ( Supernatural, Nikita, Ringer, Heart of Dixi, Vampire Diaries, is via OTA.
Depends on where you live. I get CW HD both OTA & via E*. Vamp D's and Heart of Dixie. That Ringer was just to soap operaish. Nikita became too much same old same old wk to wk so dropped it. Now I only have one night that I record 4 things at once but it does come in handy. Seems like I used to have more night that needed 4 at once. But would hate to not be able to get 4 at once.

Last edited:
I watch a lot of OTA, so the 722K/Tuner Module was a must for me. If you don't watch or need 2 OTA tuners, don't sweat it. If not, they are correct that a tech visit virtually guarantees you a 722K.

I try to preview all the new Fall network shows, so the 4 tuners come in handy at times, but as the season progresses, I rarely need more than two tuners. I watch most shows only once, but at least I know how bad most shows are.

A few days ago Dish sent someone out to replace my 722 which had the signal loss (004) on 129 problem (it would lock but not acquire name on even transponders - tech support kept telling me it was a switch problem). It had OTA built in. The 722 was replaced with a 722K, and after the tech left I realized there was no OTA module, just a small metal cover over where it should be. Dish support seemed very surprised that there wasn't one in it, but next-day shipped a module which I installed myself (they offered to send a tech, but I declined). By the way, I got nowhere with a replacement receiver until in frustration I asked to talk to the Loyalty group, they were great and bent over backwards to help.

If there's a functional difference between the 722 and 722k I haven't noticed.

I think where a 722k with the ota module would help me is I usually record OTA rather than the dish feed, and if I want a sub channel from another OTA, it'll being up a message that the recording will stop. I thing the 722k would solve this, but how to get one without forking out tons of money?

With the K model you can dl your timers to the remote. This can be handy if you replace receivers later.

I loved my HR24 and MRV, but I think overall, the 722K with MT2, Sling Adapter and 1TB EHD is the best combo going. We only watch tv on one display anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)