Dish Shuts Down Additional Recivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stwinn

Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
Yesterday afternoon Dish Network shut down the "additional" receivers of "Grey Market" subscribers here in the Cayman Islands. Primary Receivers are still working.

Speaking to the Local Re-Seller for Dish network they had this to say:

We received a memo from Dish Network yesterday (08/12/05) stating that "All customers of International re-sellers (brokers) would have to pay the FULL subscription fee on each of their additional receivers" (as opposed to an additional $4.99 per receiver) .

I have spoken to a few ppl and they have confirmed that their primary receivers are working, but their secondary receivers are down.

Is anyone else outside of Cayman having this problem? Or anyone with their own U.S. address having these issues?

Hey, at least they did not shut down their primary receivers and still allow them to be on. If they want additional rooms without paying full price for each additional room they will just have to buy a 322/522/942.

Well after googleing Cayman Islands and Dish Network I see why they shut down receivers out there.

Man and I thought the Smart Card hacking here was bad. I got 44,000 hits and every link I checked talked about it. But theres no public news reports that I can find yet.

Yea, it would be alot easier to get away with things in the Caymans than it is here. It still sucks for the people that are legit.

Just curious, if you're using a "broker" how do they know you are in the Caymans?

And if they do figure out you live there, how can they leave any of the receivers active? I thought Dish was only available to the CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. I don't think they can just start selling the service to the Caymans / Mexico / Canada / Cuba because they want to ...

Last edited:
Brokers are the kind of person you would find in the darker corner of the local pool hall in jersey, this guy can get you all the cable stations for a price or a box of cubans that the local cancer shop wont have. I would suspect that if dish has shut down all the add receivers in the caymans that the broker for the islands got busted and gave up his list of clients in order to reduce his pajama party time.

Its easy to leave one receiver active on an account, there is always one receiver that is listed as a primary unit and the rest are listed as secondary units. I cant say as to why they havent shut down all the accounts fully but I bet money is behind it specialy if its true that in order to have the other receivers active you have to pay full price programming for each unit, I'd say its punishment most likely.

Why does dish network not want people in Canada, Mexico, and the islands to have there service. Do they not have a license to do business in these countrys or signed a contract saying they wouldn't service these areas? If this is the case then why did they make a spotbeam on E10 for the islands? Just kind of curious if anyone knows the answer.

I believe its illegal for them to knowingly provide service outside the US. I'm not sure if thats a FCC law or what. But for some reason, if you want ExpressVu service in the USA, you need to lie about your address or go through a broker. Same thing if you want Dish outside the USA.

TheDishNetworkInstaller: Many of the sites/forums that discuss said bad behavior operate out of the Cayman Islands :)

Brett

Dish & Direct license if for the US and Puerto Rico. In Canada, its Bell ExpressVu & StarChoice as the options. Direct fine tuned its footprint to cut out most of Central America (they want you to subscribe to DirecTV Latin America)

Technically in Canada its illegal to have Dish or Direct. Van is probably right..thery busted them for probably doing account splitting. Activate 5 receivers..one I get, one goes to Vinnie, the other to Juan, the other to Carlos…etc

We split the bill 5 ways…that’s account splitting and illegal.

HokieEngineer said:
I believe its illegal for them to knowingly provide service outside the US. I'm not sure if thats a FCC law or what. But for some reason, if you want ExpressVu service in the USA, you need to lie about your address or go through a broker. Same thing if you want Dish outside the USA.

its not lieing....its grey market to have ExpressVu/StarChoice in the US :D

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
I realize that. I just didn't realize they were that blatant about there stealing of service.

Hehehehe, have you ever been to the motorcity? Anyone that works for ford, gm, or chrysler ( mostly ford it seems ) or someone that knows someone who works at any of these locations knows someone that works there who is able to get you all of the programming of your choice at a rather reasonable price on either of the current DBS providers. I get asked atleast 4 times a month about alternative methods of aquiring additional programming without actually having to contact the providers inquestion. It may seem that its more rampant in the caymans but consider that its only some small islands and easier to hit that location to get the broker than it is to try and bag several dozen brokers in the states.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)