Dish shuts down Slingbox - Will brick all devices by 2022

Dish bought Sling in 2007. That's 13 years ago and they will sunset in 2 years. That gives you 15 years of using the product. Are you still using the VCR that you used 13 years ago? ;)
Not a vcr, but I still use three Tivo's that are 15, 13 and 12 years old. They still run great too.

Reactions: satjay
If you still have the older models that used computer software to watch, those do not use their servers. I still have one working it was the best one they ever made with an OTA tuner (no longer good of course) and several inputs and features. That software still works in Windows in compatibility mode if you have it, and a compatible receiver. Two years from now no guarantee that old receiver will still be working of course.
I have the original chunky bar model

Reactions: Tampa8
That is because the encoder was a hardware encoder and used Adobe Flash, which as you know has been phased out on all devices and computers due to its giant security holes. Because the encoder was hardware based DISH could not upgrade it to use newer technology.
A skilled programmer could write a custom firmware and new software for the box. It would probably work better than it did originally.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
Because the encoder was hardware based DISH could not upgrade it to use newer technology.

This fails to explain why Dish won't release new Sling Adapters/Boxes with the newer technology.

And nobody answered my question about adequate substitutes. I don't think Monsoon Multimedia is making the Hava or Vulkano any longer. Nope; they're dead and gone and all servers have been taken down. Monsoon Multimedia - Wikipedia By the way, I think that wikipedia article is wrong about turning all their hardware into bricks. Why? Because they work over the LAN without a server. I can't verify that because my Hava has a video sync problem. But I remember people saying their Hava worked even without any Internet service at all, so I believe Wikipedia is wrong about that.

This fails to explain why Dish won't release new Sling Adapters/Boxes with the newer technology.

And nobody answered my question about adequate substitutes. I don't think Monsoon Multimedia is making the Hava or Vulkano any longer. Nope; they're dead and gone and all servers have been taken down. Monsoon Multimedia - Wikipedia By the way, I think that wikipedia article is wrong about turning all their hardware into bricks. Why? Because they work over the LAN without a server. I can't verify that because my Hava has a video sync problem. But I remember people saying their Hava worked even without any Internet service at all, so I believe Wikipedia is wrong about that.
It has to do with. K. O. D. I.....cant really give complete details...but illegal streaming is killing cable and satellite

It has to do with. K. O. D. I.....cant really give complete details...but illegal streaming is killing cable and satellite

Are you saying that the replacement streaming protocol has already been cracked? :(

So they claim, just like the RIAA. Perhaps it is cable and satellite and the content providers that are realling killing cable and satellite? Claims about the illegal streaming are just an easy way to pass blame without admitting the failures of their own making...

So they claim, just like the RIAA. Perhaps it is cable and satellite and the content providers that are realling killing cable and satellite? Claims about the illegal streaming are just an easy way to pass blame without admitting the failures of their own making...
Lots of reasons..
High prices...lack of affordable packages..
Forced to buy channels you dont need or want.....etc etc

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: joegr and TheKrell
A skilled programmer could write a custom firmware and new software for the box. It would probably work better than it did originally

But who will provide the server space to allow for the encrypted connections? Peer-to-peer video streaming of copyright content isn't legal. What Sling does is act as a mediary between your Slingbox and the endpoint viewing device. You could open up a port on your network and stream video directly from your PC or a new-enough satellite receiver, but that's risky at best.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is because the encoder was a hardware encoder and used Adobe Flash, which as you know has been phased out on all devices and computers due to its giant security holes. Because the encoder was hardware based DISH could not upgrade it to use newer technology.

Oh I understand fully the reason why and I don't have an issue with it. Just pointing out it is not a new thing.

I got rid of all my vcrs back in the early 2000's. I've had dvr since 99 and Blu ray players since 2006; dvd players were dropped off soon after. I had DISH satellite since Jan. of 97 and was an early adopter of any of their new tech receivers. Had all 3 versions of the Hopper that came out since 2012.
Technically, the Hopper Duo is a 4th version of the Hopper. :)

They already have done so. They are called the Hopper With Sling and the Hopper 3. So (in Dish's mind) there is no longer any need for Sling Adapters for the original Hopper or ViP receivers. :(

Technically, the Hopper Duo is a 4th version of the Hopper. :)

They already have done so. They are called the Hopper With Sling and the Hopper 3. So (in Dish's mind) there is no longer any need for Sling Adapters for the original Hopper or ViP receivers. :(
Technically doesn't count to me when we are discussing Hoppers Vs remanufactured 722ks or Hopper Duos. But if that is the case what will they call the new Hopper if it comes out? The Hopper Next Generation model. ;)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Super Hopper

This Super Hopper? :biggrin
D87492BD-ACF5-4814-A76A-905A8CBBEDE3.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)