dish signal angle

skipbo00

Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
United States
Hey all!!!! I am new here and fairly new to having dish network...... I am wondering what angle does the actual signal come in at????? figuring the earths surface as 0 and strait up as 90 degrees........ I live in Michigan and am wondering if the dish elevation of 33.88 is the same as the actual angle of the signal coming to earth?? I am wondering if the actual angle is higher that 33.88?????? I have some trees to get over and just curios if anyone knows..... I have a dish 500 and am using sat. 110 and 119......
Thanks for any and all info....
Skip

so let me make sure I get this right so the actual angle/plane of the dish is where the satellite is...... I was hoping it was maybe above a little the angle of the dish..... but if not I will have to look for an opening.......
Thanks
Skip

No, the actual angle is the number from the pointing calculator, in your case 33.88 degrees above level. An offset dish is going to "look" like it's pointing a bit lower than that. The signal is coming from "above" and bouncing to the LNB which is "below" if that helps.

If you are pointing at more than 1 sat at a time, the elevation setting on the dish is usually in between the actual locations of the sats you are looking at.

Hi all, I believe you can get a good idea on were an offset dish is looking by sighting just under the lower rim of the dish and looking up at the LNB. Can be a neat trick if you think something might be blocking the signal. Later, DC

I live in Michigan and am wondering if the dish elevation of 33.88 is the same as the actual angle of the signal coming to earth??
It is indeed the angle with respect to horizontal where you live.
I have some trees to get over and just curios if anyone knows.....
Are you losing signal?

If you're getting a picture, the dish is pointed where it needs to be pointed and there probably aren't any line-of-sight problems (yet, anyway).

If, on the other hand, you don't have DISH Network yet and are trying to do a site survey, you need to say so.

I have Dish Network,,,,,,,,, I use this dish with my fifth wheel camper and have had it for 2 years It worked well last season but this season it seams like the trees/leaves have gotten thicker and are obstructing 110 satellite,,,, I can find 119 and am getting those channels.......... I have aligned and realigned and moved the dish @ least 15 times and still too many leaves........
Skip

Given that 119 is at a lower elevation angle than 110, this surprises me. I wonder if you have a bad LNB in there?

If I take the setup back home and hook it up to my garage TV it works on both satellites and is very easy to aim it takes about 10 minutes to hook up and aim... I guess I was thinking 110 was east of 119,,,, not higher or lower...... is there a schematic/pic that would show the actual placement of the satellites??????
Although I did purchase a used dish 500 and a refurbished box from a local dealer when I got this set up..... No HD channels.....
thanks

Last edited:
Im a dish tech in MI depending on where at in MI. for metro det area when we build our 500 dishs we pre set them to 119 skew and 32 elevation that will get you close enough to fine tune after that. The 119 comes in at 233 Az and 29 elv 110 is 223 az and 32 elv.

skipbo00 said:
If I take the setup back home and hook it up to my garage TV it works on both satellites and is very easy to aim it takes about 10 minutes to hook up and aim... I guess I was thinking 110 was east of 119,,,, not higher or lower...... is there a schematic/pic that would show the actual placement of the satellites??????
Although I did purchase a used dish 500 and a refurbished box from a local dealer when I got this set up..... No HD channels.....
thanks

If you do alot of travelling you would do well to get a smart phone tgat can use tge dish pointer AR applications. There are many less expensive ones, but this one is very reliable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)