Dish signal dropping out almost constantly, what can be done?

CRFTony

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Tomorrow I have a Dish technician coming to examine a switch problem to our second TV, which is currently receiving no signal at all. While the tech is here, I want to have him check out dishes and see if anything can be changed or adjusted to improve our signal quality. Our signal drops out almost constantly, usually for just a second or two at a time, but occasionally for longer stretches too. This happens in rainy weather, but also on sunny days. It's particularly bad on HD channels.

I wanted to check here and post my set up and see if anyone has ideas on what I should ask the tech to examine or if you have any ideas on possible hardware changes that could fix or at least reduce this problem. I've been with Dish for about 5 years now and would hate to switch to Comcast, but it's getting to the point where programming is almost unwatchable and it just doesn't make sense to spend $100+ a month for that kind of quality.

I have 3 dishes. I have a Dish Network Plus(mounted on a pole), a Dish 300(mounted on a tree) and a Dish 500(mounted on a tree). All dishes were installed by Dish Network technicians. The local channels I receive are the Johnstown, PA/Altoona channels. I get sats 61.5, 110, 118 and 119. My signal strengths are:

61.5 - 37
110 - 76
118 - 34
119 - 35

My property is lined with trees. Most are on the property of various neighbors so they can't be cut down. I don't know if these trees are the source of the problem, but the issue does seem worse now than it did in the winter when the trees were bare.

Do you think moving the dishes would help? Should I ask the tech to install larger dishes or would that be a waste of time?

I'd love any feedback on things to ask the tech or possible solutions.

First, I am surprised a Dish Network tech put them on a tree. That alone is a problem and would explain dropouts.

Second, do you need 118, do you get international programming? If not you don't need 118.

I would be shooting for the Eastern ARC. Your locals are there, and the Eastern ARC is quite alot higher in the sky and a better chance for a clear line of sight somewhere on your property. And in reality, you only need to see two satellites, 61.5 and 72.7, the 77 satellite has nothing on it for you, and for the reasonable future should not. But if you can see all three, of course get them all. This should be accomplished with one dish.

Do not let them put it on a tree again. Pole is fine as long as it is done correctly. (Cement, and deep enough into the ground) I would suspect either somewhere in your yard, or on your house the Eastern ARC has a good line of sight. And those numbers for the most part are low that you posted.

Last edited:
I am also surprised they would install the dish's in trees... although I have done it myself once or twice.
You have probably already found the problem, when you said the problem got worse at the trees filled out. If I had to guess, you are now shooting into the leaves and that is causing your problem. The only real way to fix the problem, would be to move the dish's to an area with a clean line of sight.

I'm sorry, I had a brain cramp. I don't get 118 any more. I get 129 and my signal strength is really poor, anywhere from 8-20.

Thanks for the help! I suspected the trees/leaves were causing the problems, but I also knew having the dishes on the trees didn't seem right. I'll definitely have the tech check into moving them, if possible.

Actually, Johnstown, PA locals are on Western Arc so you'll need 110, 119, and 129. SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Johnstown, PA
It would make more sense if they were on Eastern Arc, but unfortunately they're not there.

I totally misread this line in the OP - "The local channels I receive are the Johnstown, PA/Altoona channels. I get sats 61.5, 110, 118 and 119" I read it too fast and thought it said the local channels were on 61.5. Yes, he will have to find a way to get the WA, or get 119 and the Eastern ARC......

Since your locals are spread out over all 3 WA birds, you need a 1K.4 WA dish and a higher pole or taller tree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)