Dish/Sinclair Dispute

Status
Please reply by conversation.
2extreme said:
haha it was worth a shot Iceberg :)

I didn't know you could get them alacarte, maybe if I get the need for them I'll have to do it that way. But hopefully what ppl are saying is that it will go dark for a few then come back on! :D

yep. The 2 DMA's Ive had on Dish we had 4 days of issues with channels
Mpls-CBS for 3 days during the Viacom dispute
Duluth-CBS wasn't turned on Thursday with the rest...It came up Friday

It'll get settled...no need to panic :)

Iceberg said:
slammin
its 1.50 per station or 5.99 for the 5 pack :)

See, you people will already be saving $.49 per channel with Dish thanks to Iceberg! You can't pass up a deal like that. $3.00 to tell Sinclair to go "@%*$ themselves"! WHAT A BARGAIN!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

I sent a note to both Dish and our local Sinclair station telling them that I do not want Dish to carry Sinclair.

I got the crawl here in St. Louis during last night's Lost episode. Yeah, it's our ABC affiliate. The wording was pretty extreme, basically telling viewers to switch to D*. I'm glad the seasons will be over by the time the station goes dark. Dish isn't perfect, certainly, but I'm so fed up with Sinclair on so many levels. The fact that they control so many stations in so many markets sickens me.

I got the same message on Fox Rochester NY. I think this only affects those that subscribe to locals and NOT Off the Air customers. Does anyone else know differently

Although we continue to negotiate with Echostar, there can be no assurance that these negotiations will be successful and if they are not, Sinclair stations will no longer be able to be viewed by DISH subscribers over their satellite service beginning on Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Iceberg said:
its only Dish customers
What I meant is customers that receive these stations using an off air antenna but plugged into a 921 won't loose that channel. In other words the box isn't smart enough to read PSIP data and be blocked out by dish. correct?

jergenf said:
What I meant is customers that receive these stations using an off air antenna but plugged into a 921 won't loose that channel. In other words the box isn't smart enough to read PSIP data and be blocked out by dish. correct?
Dish makes the box, not Sinclair. Dish won't block OTA display of any channels.

mdonnelly said:
Dish makes the box, not Sinclair. Dish won't block OTA display of any channels.
Thanks, I figured that but just wanted to be reassured. Didn't want Dish to take away my free channels just because I'm using their equipment to receive it.

Just wanted you to understand that it isn't Dish that's threatening to remove the channels, it's Sinclair.

mdonnelly said:
Just wanted you to understand that it isn't Dish that's threatening to remove the channels, it's Sinclair.
Yes I know about Sinclair. Even TW cable here in Rochester doesn't provide Fox HD because they want extra money. Just didn't know how much legal power they have over DN and if the boxes are smart enough to read PSIP data identify as Fox and DN would be required to block it. I didn't think the 921 had that capability but didn't want any surprises.

jergenf said:
Thanks, I figured that but just wanted to be reassured. Didn't want Dish to take away my free channels just because I'm using their equipment to receive it.
Never forget that it is SINCLAIR'S actions that are causing the "removal" of the channels. Sinclair can refuse to allow E* to carry their channels (as they are threatening to do) over the satellite service but Sinclair cannot refuse to allow E* subscribers from viewing their channels nor require E* from blocking OTA reception via E* receivers.

Sinclair isn't all powerful. :rolleyes:

JL

Never. The accurate statement is that Sinclair is refusing to allow E* to carry their stations.

Interesting concept. I wonder if I don't make my rent payments long enough and the landlord "refusee to" let me stay in the place and reports it on my credit record I can tell emm it ain't really my fault since they are the ones that "refused" me. The logic is simple, you pay the bill to keep the lights on. If Dish doesn't pay the bill why should Sinclair feel obligated to keep their lights on? It doesn't matter that they do it with everyone. Fact of the matter is you don't get anything free. Even from a Dish promotion program peddled by a CSR. Dish boasts being #1, it only stands to reason to raise the rent so to speak. If it bothers you that much there's always the rabbit ears.

:D

Because it's FREE TV

The concept of paying to retransmit free OTA channels at all is criminal and an abuse of the FREE airwaves these stations get from the taxpayers.

But to tell customers that they should call Dish and beg them to RAISE YOUR RATES because Sinclair wants more money for their ad supported, taxpayer supported, FREE tv channels is a bit lame.

Just consider this is the same company refusing to provide HD content in many markets despite a government mandate to do so, and still using the free airwaves provided them by the taxpayers.

But if you want to blame Charlie everytime some company tries to ask more money for a station to compensate for it's declining viewership and ad revenue, then go right ahead. You'll find few people here willing to agree with you...

MustangLX89 said:
Fact of the matter is you don't get anything free.
And that is where you are ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

There are many local stations on E* that they do not have to pay ONE CENT (to the broadcaster) to carry. There is a nice (for the broadcaster) provision in the law that allows stations to CHOOSE "must carry" status - and if the station chooses this status E* MUST carry them.

There is also a provision in the law that FORBIDS E* (and all satellite providers) from being paid for carrying a local channel - so E* cannot make ONE CENT from a broadcaster for carrying their channel.

Which is why *WE* pay. Someone has to foot the expense and instead of just raising everyone's rate E* allows locals to be an elective service.

Your rent scenario only works for stations that claim "consent to carry" - E* can carry the channel if they meet the broadcaster's terms or "you can live here but you must pay what I say". But it totally ignores the other half of the equation - the "must carry" stations. Those stations that say that E* must carry the channels regardless of quality and desire of the viewers to watch them or "you MUST live here in this roach infested pig sty".

E* gets plenty of locals for free.

JL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)