Dish, Sirius, and OTA on one wire!

RedSavina

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 19, 2005
Groton, CT
Some of you may have heard of the DBS Combiner/Splitter Kit (model 14220) that is manufactured by Directed Electronics. This kit is designed to work with both Dish Network and DirecTV systems - depending on your configuration - and allows you to combine the Sirius signal with your DBS signal on one wire. I took this a step further and added an OTA signal on the same wire.

I receive programming from 61.5, 110, and 119. Unfortunately, the documentation states that a 3-orbit configuration is not compatible with the DBS Combiner/Splitter Kit. However, I was able to get it to work and discovered why it is not a supported configuration. Here is a summary of my installation. Please note that this is a condensed version of my postings in the thread about this topic at SiriusBackstage.com.

First, it is important to understand some basics of the signals you will be working with.
  • OTA broadcasts range from 54-216 MHz for VHF channels (2-13) and 470-890 MHz for UHF channels (14-83). Dish Network uses 950-1250 MHz for Odd transponders and 1450-2150 MHz for Even transponders. Sirius uses 2320-2332.5 MHz.
(So far, things look promising as there is no conflict among these frequencies. If only it were that easy...):D
  • The DP34 multiswitch only works between 950 and 2150 MHz. In other words, neither the OTA signal nor the Sirius signal can be diplexed before the switch and distributed to all Dish receiver locations. Bummer.
    (There is an equivalent switch, the JVI35DN34, that allows you to insert an OTA feed into the switch.)
  • The DBS Combiner/Splitter Kit is only rated to work from 950-2150 MHz and 2320-2332.5 MHz. Uh oh...
    But don't panic! The good news is that it will pass a diplexed OTA signal even though not specified to do so.
It is important to make sure that your signal flows according to the following:
  1. DBS signal feeds into multiswitch.
  2. OTA signal is diplexed in after the multiswitch.
  3. The combined Dish/OTA signal is then fed to the DBS Combiner (technically another diplexer) which adds in the Sirius signal.
This triplexed signal can now be fed to your receiver location on a single RG-6 cable! At the receiver location, the signal is broken out in reverse: Sirius is split out to the Sirius receiver using the DBS Splitter; OTA is split out using a standard OTA/Satellite diplexer in reverse; DBS signal continues on RG-6 cable to back of Dish receiver.

As always, there are some caveats!
First, realize that I used DishPro LNBs and PVR 501 receivers. Other gear (DishPro Plus, DPP44, legacy equipment etc) may give different results.

Second - and this is a big one - you will not be able to run a check switch on any line with the DBS Combiner/Splitter Kit. To do so, you will need to disconnect this kit and reconnect it after the check switch test completes. Then, it will work fine.

I now enjoy my Dish Network programming, SkyAngel programming, Sirius programming, and all three available local OTA signals (strong PBS and two marginal Canadian signals) throughout my home -- all fed on a single cable to each Dish Network receiver location.

Cheers,
Red

Van said:
I'd love to see pics of this setup, think you could grace us with photos of your work?

Well, I've got it all working but haven't dressed all the cables yet! Here is the installation in its current state of semi-disarray.

:D

Red

Attachments

• Triplexer 3.jpg
    Triplexer 3.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 325
I'm glad I found your post, I was having trouble w/ the combiner, I had hooked it up to DP quad lnb & could not get it to pass the switch test.

After reading your post RedSavina I just hooked it up & it is working fine, I can still get both sats & all my TP's on the point dish screen but I will loose a sat if I run the switch test, although it is taking a little longer to switch channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)