Dish size and EIRP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Confused on this goofy EIRP charts for satellites

Where I am located (MN), is a little south of the “46” line but way north of the “48” line….I’m assuming this is why it’s a bugger for me to get AMC1 with a 30" dish

Last edited:
I am getting a Strength 58 / Quality 98 with my 1m dish on the Pentagon Channel. It was one of the trickier satellites to set my motor up to as it did require some very fine adjustments.

Attachments

• Resized_IMG_1874.jpg
    Resized_IMG_1874.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 153
Larry1 said:
I am getting a Strength 58 / Quality 98 with my 1m dish on the Pentagon Channel. It was one of the trickier satellites to set my motor up to as it did require some very fine adjustments.

With Digiwave/Kusat almost anything will give you 98 quality no matter how bad or good you are aiming it so do not be amazed if it requires even more fine adjustments when it's rain.
The Pentagon Channel for me is around 45-60% but took while get it that way.

RtpiFan :)

Iceberg part of your problem getting AMC1 Ku maybe the fact that the polarization on the Ku side is offset about 26 degrees from the other sats. You will need to rotate your LNBF to get the best signal or add another to your dish for AMC1. I added a second LNBF for AMC 1 off of my main LNBF rotated for the proper polarity. I then have both hooked to a disqec switch. Check out the SES Americom website. Look under the Ku payload specs for AMC1 and you will see the polarization offset.

Has that always been like that Scott?

I just got a new LNBF, the Invacom 0.3dB deal. I tried to aim on AMC1 to see if I could get a better signal than my old primestar LNB did, and I locked onto it, and got plenty of quality readings, but when I tried to make it actually view the image with my Twinhan 102g it absolutely refused to start up. Even TSReader would fail to read the PAT or lock the signal, even tho my other apps were saying 'yes there's signal and quality there'. At most I could get 1 frame decoded and displayed but that was it.

I did this before with my primestar LNB and it did actually work to some degree although there was a lot of breakup and crap out which I just assumed was due to the old LNB. but now with my new LNBF I can't get crap out of it.

According to that site that was mentioned I would have to go -26 degrees in terms of the skew on my LNBF, is that right? and again, I raise my initial question, was it always like that?

RtpiFan said:
With Digiwave/Kusat almost anything will give you 98 quality no matter how bad or good you are aiming it so do not be amazed if it requires even more fine adjustments when it's rain.
The Pentagon Channel for me is around 45-60% but took while get it that way.

RtpiFan :)

so true...I have a KUSat and most signals show as 65 signal/98 quality
even if they are only a 50 quality

Pentagon for me is also 45-50 so I guess I'll keep it as is

scottn said:
Iceberg part of your problem getting AMC1 Ku maybe the fact that the polarization on the Ku side is offset about 26 degrees from the other sats. You will need to rotate your LNBF to get the best signal or add another to your dish for AMC1. I added a second LNBF for AMC 1 off of my main LNBF rotated for the proper polarity. I then have both hooked to a disqec switch. Check out the SES Americom website. Look under the Ku payload specs for AMC1 and you will see the polarization offset.

interesting

so for AMC1 the skew is +26 or -26 from normal?

As far as I know it has been like that since it has been launched. -26 offset is correct. According to my location on a fixed dish my normal skew for that location is about 17 figuring in the offset my skew should be around a -10. I just fine tuned the skew for max quality.

Give it a try when you are on AMC1 sometime. Rotate your LNBF and you should see an improvement in your quality numbers and the amount of feeds you find.

very interesting...have to try that some ngiht this week

Thanks for the tip and welcome :wave :)

scottn said:
Give it a try when you are on AMC1 sometime. Rotate your LNBF and you should see an improvement in your quality numbers and the amount of feeds you find.
i will give this a try with my BUD polarotor tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)