Dish size for BEV in phoenix

berzerko

Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Hi there,

Just curious what dish size I should be getting in order to pull in BEV in phoenix, az. I read a while back that I may need a 36" dish, where is a good place to buy just a dish only (I have the receiver and LNBF). Thanks in advance. Also I should be pointing at Nimiq1 with transponder 12?

Thanks,

berzerko

correct. Nimiq1 would be TP12 (or any even)

For Nimiq1, you can use the standard 20" dish. You won't get Nimiq3 (see the thread at the top with the channels you won't get)

One detail that is being omitted is that the transponder with program guide information is on NIMIQ 3....so if you are pointing an antenna at 91 West,
the program guide will not work, and you will not have your subscription updated without access to that signal.

A parallel datastream is sent on Nimiq 2, so if you had a separate 24-inch dish
(or larger) on 82 West, connected into the proper multiswitch (SW-21),
updated info will then be available to the receiver.

The better solution would be to abandon Bell ExpressVu and switch to Star Choice, which has a reliable signal in snowbird areas.

mikekohl said:
One detail that is being omitted is that the transponder with program guide information is on NIMIQ 3....
so if you are pointing an antenna at 91 West, the program guide will not work...

A parallel datastream is sent on Nimiq 2, so if you had a separate 24-inch dish
(or larger) on 82 West, connected into the proper multiswitch (SW-21),
updated info will then be available to the receiver.

The better solution would be to abandon Bell ExpressVu and switch to Star Choice, which has a reliable signal in snowbird areas.
1).
Has the guide changed recently?
I got the guide just fine on Nimiq1 last time I checked.
That was less than a month ago, but things do change.
2).
Most places in the US will get Nimiq2 and 1 on a 20" dish, unless you have exceedingly bad weather.
3).
Though StarChoice coverage does extend down well into Mexico, there is the cost of (existing/new) equipment to consider.

BEV in Phoenix

Coincidentally, I have also recently relocated to Phoenix in the last week or so (Oct-2005). Originally fromt the Toronto area, I originally had my BEV hooked up in Cincinnati, Ohio and now I am trying to go through the installation on my own again here in Phoenix.

It took a long time to find the satellite while in Cincy, using the doinky little compass that they give you. I think it was more by luck than skill.

I currently have the BEV 3100 and I have a question. I thought I would post them hear as a response to Berzerko because they may be relevant to him too.

I have been searching the skies for the Nimiq with no success. I have absolutely no problems finding Echostar 110 and Echostar 119, but I am finding the BEV location elusive. According to my User Manual, I have my transponder set to transponder 11, but I am wondering what the logic is for using transponder 12 as mentioned in Iceberg's response?

Any help I can receive would be appreciated.

There are 2 satellites at 91 degrees. You will not be getting N3 at your location. Since transponder 11 (guide info downloaded from here) is on N3; you will not see transponder 11.

Check the sticky at the top of this forum to see what services you will not get, along with the guide. If these channels are important to you, cancel Expressvu and get SC.

Thanks for all of the info.

Looking at the "sticky", the list of all the channels that will be missing here in Phoenix on BEV, it is a bit discouraging. I still tried to set up my satellite to see what that left me with.

Using transponder 12, I was able to find BEV91 and receive a 96-98% lock. The Program Guide came up also but almost every channel was considered a subscription service (i.e. about 100 channels were showing on the guide but they were all red). The only channels I can receive are the Food Network, the Life Channel, and three preview channels.

Does that sound reasonable from the Phoenix, AZ area?

I am hoping Berzerko can give me a response as to how his set up goes on the weekend. Maybe we can compare notes.

I purchased my BEV in Canada, drove it over the border, and simply have funds taken out of my Canadian bank account. I was only living in Cincinnati at the time, and it will be a little harder to do the same thing with a StarChoice system all the way from Phoenix.

Anyone else out there have some advice?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)