dish size???

nutsorwhat

Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
I'm trying to get dish 119, 110 probably would work better but I'm not interested in 110. I am using a 34" dish but get a lot of rain fade, how large a dish do I need to get a descent signal strength??
My current strength on clear sunny days is about 68 .
I live in canada.
can anyone help or suggest something or perhaps a link???
I used to get DTV without problems, but this dishnet is different.

thanksyou for your time. :(

Where in Canada?

If you're near the border, you should be fine. But if your in Yellowknife or Nova Scotia, then you might have issues.

A 34" dish should work in alot of Canada

Fssiii Atlanta ,ga

I Am A Level Iii Tech, If You Have A Dish So Large And You Still Are Getting Rain Fade , Then U Have Too Many Trees Were You Live, Rain Fade, Does Have To Do With The Dish Size, But With Your Size Dish, You Shouldnt Have Rain Fade At All. So With The Dish 500 You Have To Have A Clear Line Of Sight To The Southern Skies, Or A Very High Roof, What U Are Describing To Me Is That You Have An Obstruction, That Is Messing With Your Signal, I Have In The 4 Years As A Dish Installer Rarely Found A Place Where I Couldnt Find A Line Of Sight, Regardless Of Where The Person Lives, I Have Found A Line Of Sight In The Middle Of The Woods, Thats Is A Good Tech, A Bad Tech Will Tech You, He Cant Find A Line Of Sight, Without Even Trying.

bigbark34 said:
I Am A Level Iii Tech, If You Have A Dish So Large And You Still Are Getting Rain Fade , Then U Have Too Many Trees Were You Live, Rain Fade, Does Have To Do With The Dish Size, But With Your Size Dish, You Shouldnt Have Rain Fade At All. So With The Dish 500 You Have To Have A Clear Line Of Sight To The Southern Skies, Or A Very High Roof, What U Are Describing To Me Is That You Have An Obstruction, That Is Messing With Your Signal, I Have In The 4 Years As A Dish Installer Rarely Found A Place Where I Couldnt Find A Line Of Sight, Regardless Of Where The Person Lives, I Have Found A Line Of Sight In The Middle Of The Woods, Thats Is A Good Tech, A Bad Tech Will Tech You, He Cant Find A Line Of Sight, Without Even Trying.

are you sure about that? Even with a 30" dish for ExpressVu, I can still get rain fade. When the clouds are so thick it blocks the signal, you are SOL

He has a 34" (90 cm) dish for Dish and is getting rainfade. Its due to such a low signal. That's why I asked where he was in Canada. The farther north he is, the more it drops off.

bigbark34 said:
Trying to read this makes my eyes throb. pleasE fiX youR keyboarD alL thE unnecessarY capitalizeD letterS geT iN thE waY runoN sentenceS makE mY asS itcH.

Well....

I have a seven and hal inch, oh, I'm sorry, I thought the thread title said something else! Antenna size is an issue, however, even in the Military, you can't keep a signal with certain weather events. :eek:

Ole bigbark34, the level III tech, needs to adjust his compass, not just his keyboard. Atlanta dishes need to be looking at the southWESTERN sky. :)

He also needs to consider where the original poster is located before making judgements as to what the situation is. :D

That level III tech is one of those installers who finds a gap between trees and call that a line of sight. 6 months later here comes poor old level 1 tech to move that stupid dish or tell the customer he can no longer have dish service anymore because that gap is gone, thats my 2 cents. For the guy in Canada you can try moving to the U.S. granted the health care system sucks but reception might be a little better. :)

To: Iceberg I read the post by your other recepients, proper azmuith, elevation,and skew have alot to do with your current sattellite signal. If you are getting a 100 plus on your satellite meter, depending on which you are using. Sat budy, channel master, or digistat. My conclusion was that it is either your reiciever or your line of sight. The dish size does reduce rain fade, and i will stand by that due to my experience with different size dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)