Status
Please reply by conversation.

Timeclock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 24, 2010
tenn
Because of the installation and size restriction I can only use a 6' dish. I live in Tennessee and would a 6' solid dish preform decent on C-band in my area?

That all depends on what you'd classify as 'decent'. Just take the time to put it together correctly. Getting the feed position tweaked right-on for peaked performance. It probably won't get it 'all' because of its characteristics (lower gain, wider beam-width) than a larger dish. <I don't get it 'all' for what I think is numerous reasons, week TP, out of the hottest part of footprint, etc.> ICE is using 6 ft dishes, and <i'd say> gets 90+% that others get with a 10ft. Many others are also using 6ft, 7.5 and 8-9 ft dishes.
In some recent threads, Some are having troubles with EWTN on 133W with a 6, others report success. Also harder to get may be the S-2 transponders. What exactly you will or won't get is really impossible to say until you try.
Maybe mention what you're after, and those with a 6 can post their outcomes on those satellite & TP's.

I just want to use it for FTA and by my calculations I can swing it from 61 to 139W. It looks like there are a lot of channels up on the high sats and I wondered if a 6' dish could receive them from my location. I have a 1M dish running now but there isn't a lot to look at except maybe 95W and 97W. I was looking at the kit sold on Ebay (6' dish, actuator, booster box,) but for $70 more Sadoun has a kit with LNB and receiver. I know it is low end but has anyone used this system?

Find a location to put a 10' dish.
Dont put your 6' there, and you won't have to move it later ;)

A 6' dish might get 90% of the signals, but will it get what you want?
If not, then having hundreds of channels is meaningless.

If the goal is to have FTA as a technical hobby, 6' will give lots of fun.
But having realistic goals makes a lot of sense.

posted from iPhone 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts