dish size?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftasat

Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Does the size of the dish matter? Im currently have 30 inch dish. I get very weak signal from IA 5 sat.

depends on location. Some transponders on IA5 are just low to begin with so a bigger dish would help

Is it specific channels that its weak or all transponders?

A 30 inch dish is not suitable for reliable reception on this satellite due to the Galaxy 16 satellite located only 2 degrees West. A 30 inch dish is not usually 2 degree beamwidth compliant and the Signal Quality will be affected. Will it work, Yes! Is it reliable, NO!

Central and eastern US within the main beam are not nearly as affected as the West Coast, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.

We recently performed several days of signal testing on Galaxy 25 (IA5) for several of our broadcast partners and found that a Winegard DS2076 was not able to provide an adequate signal margin on the horizontal transponders. This has nothing to do with brand of LNBF. Galaxy 16 data services have priority usage over Galaxy 25 DTH services. Vertical transponders are lightly affected, but several Horizontal transponders are hit very heavy.

Would recommend that you purchase a 2 degree compliant dish, many brands ... many models, but shop carefully.

SatelliteAV - did you do any testing with C-Band dishes for DVB reception on IA5? I'm wondering what the smallest acceptable dish size would be to receive C-Band DVB from IA5 in the midwest (Iowa).

SatelliteAV - did you do any testing with C-Band dishes for DVB reception on IA5? I'm wondering what the smallest acceptable dish size would be to receive C-Band DVB from IA5 in the midwest (Iowa).

Most of us C-Banders now adays scrounge for free dishes . Try to find a 10 food dish .

Wyr

Most of us C-Banders now adays scrounge for free dishes . Try to find a 10 food dish .

Wyr
I already have a 7.5 footer, but not in the best shape (It's a little dented up & missing the very center piece. I did just buy a new 13degree lnb for it). I've been driving around looking, did some driving in the country, and even put some adverts out for old dishes, but haven't seen anything promising yet (weird considering the number of dishes some of these guys talk about picking up).

I did find a solid dish that appears to be larger than my 7.5, but it is missing the hook that mounts the lnb (and missing the feedhorn), and the guy is not sure he wants to get rid of it just yet (not sure why, since half of the dish is missing!). So if my cruddy 7.5'er isn't going to do the trick, I probably need to start shopping.

No, we are performing KU-Band signal tests only.

There is a major difference between what will give marginal reception under perfect conditions and what will provide reliable reception under marginal conditions.

Iffy: 1.2M
Marginal: 1.8M
Recommended 2.4M or larger

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)