Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Looks like Dish will be speeding up its rollout of new Smartcard.

Origionally the plan was to upgrade all receivers by February and switch over to the new security system in February as well.

That planhas changed.

Dish will now be cutting over to the new security system next month.

If you haven't received your new smartcards yet, look for them soon.

Bye bye hackers. :D

Uh oh..... How many reboots will this one take? I remember the bad old days when a smart card swap bricked one of my DVRs....

Hopefully this will at least cut down on piracy. I'm all for arresting those guys.

Why don't you hear this happening to Directv equipment? You would think DISH would learn by now.

But for how long until the security is broken again?
Rumor is that nagra 3 is already broken in Europe.

People will come out and say that's not true, but the same thing happened with nagra 2, people said it was already hacked, others said no, but when Dish swapped over, the hacks were shown to be true, and it was wide open again.

Remember, it wasn't that many years ago that D* was easily cracked, and E* was more secure. And Charlie was not happy with D*'s "weak system." It's a cycle.

Since D* paid to hack E*'s system, and got tapped on the hand, maybe E* should pay someone to lock up D*'s DVRs. Or something. ;)

Remember, it wasn't that many years ago that D* was easily cracked, and E* was more secure. And Charlie was not happy with D*'s "weak system." It's a cycle.

Since D* paid to hack E*'s system, and got tapped on the hand, maybe E* should pay someone to lock up D*'s DVRs. Or something. ;)
i think chuck did lockup all hr2x's the other day lol

The forum would be puking out posts about the 13 million new cards arriving and we are not seeing it.

I have noticed a recent uptick in the number of posts on the subject of smart cards. I think that is evidence enough. I doubt everyone will post when they get one.

I personally think that the process is going smother than anticipated, with fewer calls to tech support, so Dish thought the could move faster. That, or the new software is already hacked, and they want to implement it quick to weed out the pirates before the hack becomes common knowledge.

They have definitely improved the process. Last time there was a card swap, the user had to call a special phone number and talk to someone to get the new cards activated, at least that's how I remember it.

These cards appear to be pre-activated ("pre-married?" "pre-nup?") so you just plug them in and they work.

Rumor is that nagra 3 is already broken in Europe.

People will come out and say that's not true, but the same thing happened with nagra 2, people said it was already hacked, others said no, but when Dish swapped over, the hacks were shown to be true, and it was wide open again.

One would think that Dish would want a variant for their own to make it harder to hack since they control all the receivers.

Maybe this is the real reason they want to discontinue support for certain receivers. Perhaps they would be too easy to hack with the new cards. And then they could be emulated on the FTA boxes.

Dish really needs a system that can stay hack free for a few years.

One thing that people don't know is, that Charlie owns a company that produces FTA receivers in Europe. FTA in Europe rules the air waves and is as common as we have Starbucks on every street corner in the USA. So maybe Charlie let's himself be vulnerable on purpose. It's all about the all mighty dollar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)