Dish speaks with forked tongue, Rate hikes, Hypocrites!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dish Skunks

Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Hello again,
Dish Network more rate hikes! Rates have increased 4-1/2% - 8% 5 times in 5 years. And what do the customers get for their money? Take the top 60 package
14 of those channels are public interest channels PBS is about the only interesting channel in the group. And at last count they had 12 shopping channels {Yipee}!
It's understandable operating rates do go up, but maybe not this often. But what is dishgusting and makes Dish Network hypocrites is they get up on their soapbox and point fingers at Cable & Directv and tell us how they raised their rates again. And then try acting like their our saviours, Oh what angels they are. :devil:
Second point: Rate increase on DVRs {Remember When}
Remember when the first PVR/DVR came out? The 7100/7200 and Micrsoft was charging around $10 a month for the DVR funtion. Then Dish announced they were coming out with their own version DVR the 501. Then on a retailer Charlie Chat, Charlie even stated that there would be no charge for the DVR funtion since they really were'nt providing a service it was all built into the receiver. That was a great idea by Charlie. The 508 came out no DVR fee Excellent! But then the 510 came out and some greedy SOB at Dish Network decided to charge for the DVR functions for all future DVRs. The only difference between a 501 & 510 is the 510 has a bigger hard-drive. The truth is Dish is not providing any service for your DVRs the hardware is already in the receivers! So if anyone out there want's a DVR without the fee ask your local dealer about getting you a model 501 or 508
Those models come as refurbs but I'm happy with my 501. You might also check Ebay for a dual tuner 721 DVR no fee. Don't let Dish soak you out of more money!
They raise it another $1 a month for something you already have? what? what?
Since we terminated my Retailer Agreement I can speak freely on Satellite guys and I know a couple of you think this should be on dishretailer.com, but consumers should know what Dish is up to and retailers can't speak their mind at dishretailer.com because they have all retailers information.
Have a great new year and don't take any sh*t from Dish!
The Anti-Dish guy Jim Wickland Stargate Entertainment

I remember the charlie chat, i was thinking that was a very cool idea. I bought a 501 for myself at that time and it still works great. I still have a 7200 for my football only.
when the 510 came out I thought what a scam since charlie and jim already said they did'nt think they should charge dvr fees because it was not really a service and then they went back on there word. i have a 501 so I wont have to pay dvr fees. but I hate seeing programming rates go up every year.

Dish Skunks said:
Hello again,
Dish Network more rate hikes! Rates have increased 4-1/2% - 8% 5 times in 5 years. And what do the customers get for their money? Take the top 60 package
14 of those channels are public interest channels PBS is about the only interesting channel in the group. And at last count they had 12 shopping channels {Yipee}!
It's understandable operating rates do go up, but maybe not this often. But what is dishgusting and makes Dish Network hypocrites is they get up on their soapbox and point fingers at Cable & Directv and tell us how they raised their rates again. And then try acting like their our saviours, Oh what angels they are. :devil:
Second point: Rate increase on DVRs {Remember When}
Remember when the first PVR/DVR came out? The 7100/7200 and Micrsoft was charging around $10 a month for the DVR funtion. Then Dish announced they were coming out with their own version DVR the 501. Then on a retailer Charlie Chat, Charlie even stated that there would be no charge for the DVR funtion since they really were'nt providing a service it was all built into the receiver. That was a great idea by Charlie. The 508 came out no DVR fee Excellent! But then the 510 came out and some greedy SOB at Dish Network decided to charge for the DVR functions for all future DVRs. The only difference between a 501 & 510 is the 510 has a bigger hard-drive. The truth is Dish is not providing any service for your DVRs the hardware is already in the receivers! So if anyone out there want's a DVR without the fee ask your local dealer about getting you a model 501 or 508
Those models come as refurbs but I'm happy with my 501. You might also check Ebay for a dual tuner 721 DVR no fee. Don't let Dish soak you out of more money!
They raise it another $1 a month for something you already have? what? what?
Since we terminated my Retailer Agreement I can speak freely on Satellite guys and I know a couple of you think this should be on dishretailer.com, but consumers should know what Dish is up to and retailers can't speak their mind at dishretailer.com because they have all retailers information.
Have a great new year and don't take any sh*t from Dish!
The Anti-Dish guy Jim Wickland Stargate Entertainment

WOW, Cable is worse with there rate hikes as dish is still the cheapest out of any provider out there. Infact Comcast raised there rates 8% last year and another 4 % this year for a total of 12%. I honestly think your barking up the wrong tree. Its understandable about the shopping channels but E* has to carry them BY LAW. (public intrest) And if you have a big stink about what E* is doing look else where and see what there doing. E* isnt doing anything that is worse than other providers.

2nd point.. Have you seen a company that offers free DVR service. Comcast is 9.99 per month. Tivo is 6.99... Welcome to the digital era. Get used to it :)

3rd point.. I know you have been told this before :) Dish retailer.com is owned by this sight. (its our sister sight) The only reason why they have that type of info is so they can verify THAT YOU ARE INFACT A RETAILER. and not some joe blow on the street. Because there is retailer specific information that isnt avaible to the public. Its a way of ensureing that the information dont end up in the wrong hands. You can say what ever you want over there as in over here. Dish retailer.com IS NOT Owed by E* I dont get why you dont get it. also people do speak there mind over there about what E* does.

Last edited:
goaliebob99 said:
WOW, Cable is worse with there rate hikes as dish is still the cheapest out of any provider out there. Infact Comcast raised there rates 8% last year and another 4 % this year for a total of 12%. I honestly think your barking up the wrong tree. Its understandable about the shopping channels but E* has to carry them BY LAW. (public intrest) And if you have a big stink about what E* is doing look else where and see what there doing. E* isnt doing anything that is worse than other providers.

2nd point.. Have you seen a company that offers free DVR service. Comcast is 9.99 per month. Tivo is 6.99... Welcome to the digital era. Get used to it :)

3rd point.. I know you have been told this before :) Dish retailer.com is owned by this sight. (its our sister sight) The only reason why they have that type of info is so they can verify THAT YOU ARE INFACT A RETAILER. and not some joe blow on the street. Because there is retailer specific information that isnt avaible to the public. Its a way of ensureing that the information dont end up in the wrong hands. You can say what ever you want over there as in over here. Dish retailer.com IS NOT Owed by E* I dont get why you dont get it. also people do speak there mind over there about what E* does.

I wish Tivo was 6.99, try 12.99.

I'm with Goaliebob. Get angry all you want, it boils down to what are the options:

Free OTA: Great, for many people. Not many channels. I supplement E* with OTA.
Cablecos: For some, reasonable and good service. For others, such as myself: expensive and MISERABLE PQ & service.
Fios: Available to very, very, very few people for years to come.
Satcos: DISH tends to be cheaper, has more HD, has provided higher HD PQ in the past & I believe will return to higher HD PQ in the future. I love my 30 second skip button, the time remaining indication on my DVR capacity and prefer the E* DVR interface. D* reports your viewing habits, E* doesn't. D* downloads onto your DVR more often than E*- I think in 4 years I've had 2, maybe 3 things put on my DVR by E*.

Get angry, but get real. Pick from your choices that which you feel is best for you. Calling people liars is unproductive. Sure, I wish there were no DVR fees, even though I have a 721, 508 & 301. I'll be hit with a DVR fee when I get the VIP622. No statement made by any business can be expected to hold forever. At least they grandfathered the existing DVRs when they added the fee.

You guys are missing his point, regarding sat vs cable: the point is DIsh is nowhere better than cable now.

sh!tty HD picture quality, expensive and crappy packages and yearly price gauging for the same or worst sh*t, let alone the ridiculous and pathetic "outlet fee" and similar unreasonable extra fees.
F*cking greed, that's what moves Dish now, exactly the same like cable cos.

But if his point is Dish vs. Cable it is a rather specific argument, isn't it. His point is limited to Dish vs. Cable from his provider in his general area. It does not apply to all cable systems nationwide. Dish is a rather homogeneous product across the country except for differences caused by reception issues. Cable is provided by any number of different companies with different rate structures, different equipment, different PQ and vastly different customer service standards.

Yes, of course Dish is driven by greed. Their jobs depend on making profits. But those profits also get turned into captial improvements. Everyone keeps harping on rate increases but have there been no improvements since 2000? Would you like to go back to the same receiver and the same content you had 5 years ago in exchange for lower rates? I don't want to.

I enjoy reading this board but sometimes all the complaining drives me nuts. If it is too expensive, switch, I don't need to know about it. If your grocery store raises the price of Heinz ketchup do you loudly pronounce that you are tempted to switch to Hunts or DelMonte? I doubt it, but for some reason a lot of us believe we are supposed to be concerned about each other's choices for spending the home entertainment dollar. A post about rates going up is informative and useful. A post saying "I recently switched from Dish to Cable-X and I find that for the money I am getting a better quality product" is useful. But calling Echostar liars and hypocrites because they made a policy change is not.

(This is what happens when the message appears telling me I haven't posted in a few weeks.)

Every year posts like this pop up. And every year in the end two things happen.

1. It is found that overall Dish is the least expensive or damn close to it for most people certainly as compared to Cable, and depending on what you order less than Direct TV. The reliablitly is usually better than Cable and even the picture quality is better on some channels. This still holds true today as it did for the last few years. Is the gap closing - yes I think it is although our Charter Cable using the closest programming similarities would be some $12 a month more.

2. Shortly after Dish raises the price Direct TV follows and all the posts about why does Dish have to raise prices and Direct doesn't look foolish. If history is relived Direct will raise some of their prices also before too many months pass. And yes cost does rise several times a year to Dish and Direct. Contracts end at different times and I'm sure each looks at the probable costs for the year and raise prices accordingly. But sometimes there can be surprise as with Lifetime and a decision has to be made.

I can find fault with Dish especially historically with some of their hardware. (though I love my three no DVR fee's 508's) and they certainly send mixed messages about HD sometimes. But their pricing and reliability aren't on my list of complaints. And I commend Dish for at least trying to hold back programming costs. Direct TV has not had a good financial spreadsheet as they say so I'm leery to compare their willingness to pay the higher fees so easily when Dish fights it.

Last edited:
Well said T2k ! goaliebob99 missed the point completely and put everyone on a different path. In answer to goaliebob99 three points.
1st point} I'm not defending cable! Quote{But what is dishgusting and makes Dish Network hypocrites is they get up on their soapbox and point fingers at Cable & Directv and tell us how they raised their rates again. And then try acting like their our saviours,) Dish always tries to play the underdog, Remember they are the #3 provider in the country but they always try sneaking under the radar. Like the saying goes - Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining! Dish is doing exactly what they accuse Cable & Directv of doing. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone! That was the point!
Also back to your figures goaliebob99, If Comcast in your area raised it 12% over two years, take a look at Dish Networks raise over a two year period rates have increased 4-1/2 % lowest to 8% highest. You can say Dish increased 12-1/2% over a two year period.
In your words goaliebob99 : { E* isnt doing anything that is worse than other providers.} Now I think your getting the point! :rolleyes:
2nd point} You missed the point again goaliebob99, I know what Tivo charges!
The point was Charlie stated that there would be no charge for the DVR funtion since they really were'nt providing a service it was all built into the receiver. So what changed when the 510 came out? Greed! Deception get used to it. :)
I have two 501s without the DVR fee, the way Dish DVR was supposed to be!
3rd point} Really goaliebob99 Who told me this? If dishretailer.com has all our information how do you verify that we are authorized Dish Network retailers?
and in your words {not just some joe blow on the street} There must be a Dish Network connection somewhere if dishretailer.com can verify that we are truely authorized Dish retailers! :p
goaliebob99 do you have a problem with comprehension? You sure defend Dish alot! or is this CHARLIE!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Read the story more closely before you start bantering on and throwing people off the point of this thread.
My last thread was closed early, as you said by request. Answer this: By whos Request? Because it was Anti-Dish? Censorship should not be allowed!
The Anti-Dish Guy, Jim Wickland Stargate Entertainment :D

I am getting real tired of all these Dish is cheaper/better then cable threads.
At least in my area ( Metro Detroit ) it is not, Comcast has such better service then I have had with E* ( was with E* from 1999 till Feb/05 ).
Let's break it down
E* everything Pack-$86.99 a month
add on-$9.99 a month for HD
$5.00 a month per DVR Fee
To lease a 942-$250.00 down just for the right to lease it.
Upgrade costs to new MPEG-4 boxes, say $50.00-up

Comcast in my area
Digital Platinum-$96.99 a month
no add on for HD channels
HD Digital Video Recorder-$9.95 ( includes DVR fee )
upgrade costs to new boxes...nope

Not a big difference, now if you add in the $250.00 for the 942 and divide it up for say 24 months-$10.41 per month more

So, E* would work out to $101.98 ( +10.41 for the 942 ) =$112.39
Comcast-$106.94

Now don't forget things like broadband ( and maybe Phone Service )
For me with bundled discount with Broadband and Phone and cable, I get $40.00 off a month, so my total bill is about $140.00 a month.
If you add up all those separate bills you will look at it in a different light.
If you have a crappy cable service in your area then E* is the best way to go if you have a good one check them out.

Ok, but in your math for E = 101.98

101.98 - 86.99AEP - 9.99 HD -5.00 DVR = 0

With AEP, there is no DVR fee, so 112.39 - 5.00 = 107.39, so theres a difference of less than 50 cents in your area (im just saying, imho, 50 cents isnt much of a large deal)

Over here, a HD DVR is 15 / month, so it = cheaper here for me (any SD box w/ comcast is 8.00, E is $5, so here = better)

I think E is better than Cable Co, simply because comcast around here blows, people are stupid, equipment fees are crazy, and so is the programming, AEP + 2 rooms = 86.99, for comcast im already over $115 atleast!

I agree with Dish skunks, I think alot of people missed what he was trying to get across! Dish network always trys to portray themselves in a good light like they are the good guys, always talking about the other guys raising there rates and being cable pigs. They put on there happy face and act as if they can do no wrong!
They are doing exactly what cable & directv do! dont let them fool you.

I call that speaking with forked tongue & being hypocritical

On the 2nd point I totally agree with that. When Dish said that there would be no charge for the DVR function since they really weren't providing a service it was all built into the receiver. So why did they go back on there word when the 510 came out?

I also call that speaking with forked tongue & being hypocritical
I was a happy customer of dish for 8 years but I got screwed over with a 510
the csr never told me about the extra fees! I asked her to give me back my 508 which I payed for & take back the 510. It was a no deal. So now I'm with comcast cable.

On the 3rd point, I dont get it!

It should be noted that Dish Skuks, Opee Taylor and Cable4US is all the same person coming from the same IP address.

I find it funny that this person has to tak to himself in order to try getting his point across.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)