Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
The following statement is attributed to Brian Neylon, president of DISH TV:

“Mission Broadcasting is demanding an unbelievable 50% rate increase on the backs of consumers. Has their content gotten 50% better? Of course not! Yet somehow they expect customers to pay up through threats of taking their stations down.

To make matters worse, Mission is demanding payment for customers who don’t even subscribe to local stations on DISH. Not only would this outrageous demand effectively increase the cost for all customers, it violates the entire notion of consumer choice.

Meanwhile, Mission’s website advertises that they provide their programming for free over the air. Somehow, Mission’s backwards logic is to force all DISH customers in their markets to pay more for the same old content, while they boast about giving away that very content for free. It makes zero sense.

DISH doesn’t want our customers to be impacted in any way- not through outrageous price increases or unfair takedowns. We’ve offered an extension to keep stations up so that viewers won’t be impacted, but Mission has refused. They’d clearly rather use viewers as pawns, and they know the beginning of the NFL season is a great time to do so.

We will continue to fight for our customers versus letting them be attacked by Mission’s schemes, and we remain open to working with Mission in hopes of reaching a fair agreement.”

Following is the list of Mission Broadcasting stations:

KLJB
Davenport-Rock Island-Moline IA
FOX
KPEJ
Odessa-Midland TX
FOX
KMSS
Shreveport LA
FOX
KRBC
Abilene-Sweetwater TX
NBC
KCIT
Amarillo TX
FOX
KCPN
Amarillo TX
MNT
WVNY
Bennington County VT
ABC
KHMT
Billings MT
FOX
WVNY
Burlington-Plattsburgh VT
ABC
WFXP
Erie PA
FOX
WTVW
Evansville IN
CW
KFQX
Grand Junction-Montrose CO
FOX
KODE
Joplin MO-Pittsburg KS
ABC
KASN
Little Rock-Pine Bluff AR
CW
KLRT
Little Rock-Pine Bluff AR
FOX
KAMC
Lubbock TX
ABC
KTVE
Monroe LA-El Dorado AR
NBC
WTVO
Rockford IL
ABC
KSAN
San Angelo TX
NBC
KOLR
Springfield MO
CBS
WAWV
Terre Haute IN
ABC
WUTR
Utica NY
ABC
KJBO
Wichita Falls-Lawton TX
MNT
KJTL
Wichita Falls-Lawton TX
FOX
WYOU
Wilkes Barre-Scranton PA
CBS
WVNY
Windham County VT (Boston Plus)
ABC

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

• Angry
Reactions: papachops
Not surprising. Scripps made the same demand (or at least Dish said that they did) during that dispute.

I am puzzled by the numbers in the list above. Those are not the Dish channel numbers. Channels in the same DMA as each other have the same number listed for both stations. However, it can't be a DMA ranking, either, since there are not that many hundreds of DMA's. So, I am stumped.

Not surprising. Scripps made the same demand (or at least Dish said that they did) during that dispute.

I am puzzled by the numbers in the list above. Those are not the Dish channel numbers. Channels in the same DMA as each other have the same number listed for both stations. However, it can't be a DMA ranking, either, since there are not that many hundreds of DMA's. So, I am stumped.

Reactions: harshness
Interesting. Thanks! I was always just used to seeing them ranked in order by population, from 1 (New York City) to 210 (Glendive, MT). So now they basically have their own "area codes." I wonder if Nielsen is planning on breaking them down into hundreds of much smaller "micro DMA's" for the purpose of making it easier for satellite providers to offer Significantly Viewed locals to fringe areas, or some other purpose like that.

Interesting. Thanks! I was always just used to seeing them ranked in order by population, from 1 (New York City) to 210 (Glendive, MT). So now they basically have their own "area codes." I wonder if Nielsen is planning on breaking them down into hundreds of much smaller "micro DMA's" for the purpose of making it easier for satellite providers to offer Significantly Viewed locals to fringe areas, or some other purpose like that.
As more markets go to metered measuring, I bet the area codes are related to tracking that. Then it doesn't matter if markets move up/down as population changes.

Reactions: pattykay and Bobby
As more markets go to metered measuring, I bet the area codes are related to tracking that. Then it doesn't matter if markets move up/down as population changes.
I thought of that. I just thought it was weird that the codes start at 500 (according to the linked chart) and go up from there, when there are only 210 DMA's. However, I noticed that there are two codes in the list in the first post that are under 500 (for two sub-markets in VT, 431 Bennington County and 432 Windham County). So, it makes me wonder if Nielsen is reserving the other numbers for other such sub-markets across the country, to get a little more granular when it comes to breaking down the country into local markets. This would allow Richland County, Ohio (for example) to have a DMA that includes some channels from Columbus in addition to the channels from Cleveland.

Did anyone else using the OTA module lose the disputed channels? I did a new channel scan and they didn't even show up.
On which model receiver? The channel scan on Hoppers (and especially on the Wally) can be very finicky, especially if the signal from the station happens to be a little weak at the time when you are scanning.

I thought of that. I just thought it was weird that the codes start at 500 (according to the linked chart) and go up from there, when there are only 210 DMA's. However, I noticed that there are two codes in the list in the first post that are under 500 (for two sub-markets in VT, 431 Bennington County and 432 Windham County). So, it makes me wonder if Nielsen is reserving the other numbers for other such sub-markets across the country, to get a little more granular when it comes to breaking down the country into local markets. This would allow Richland County, Ohio (for example) to have a DMA that includes some channels from Columbus in addition to the channels from Cleveland.
You'd need a whole lot of "sub codes" though... even breaking it down to counties. Unless maybe they do something like 500-1234 or 500-102?

You'd need a whole lot of "sub codes" though... even breaking it down to counties. Unless maybe they do something like 500-1234 or 500-102?
Well, looking at the FCC's Significantly Viewed List, most counties in the "core" of each market tend to have the same list (or at least slightly different lists that still only include in-market channels). So, there are usually a lot of counties in each DMA that can remain lumped together. Therefore, it is only the fringe areas that would need a unique code. Even then, if adjacent fringe counties happen to have the same Significantly Viewed List, then they could also share the same code.

On which model receiver? The channel scan on Hoppers (and especially on the Wally) can be very finicky, especially if the signal from the station happens to be a little weak at the time when you are scanning.

Hopper 3. I did get the Fox station earlier today. I'm getting it now on the Joey, but not the Hopper.

Hopper 3. I did get the Fox station earlier today. I'm getting it now on the Joey, but not the Hopper.
Do you have Favorites selected on your Hopper guide? if your Joey sees the channel it’s on the Hopper because that’s where the channel actually resides.

Do you have Favorites selected on your Hopper guide? if your Joey sees the channel it’s on the Hopper because that’s where the channel actually resides.

Yeah, I have 3 separate ones actually. Now FOX is back on the Hopper and Joey. I was concerned because this was the first time I didn't get an OTA signal back from a receiver reset, which I did before the re-scan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts