DISH Statement on Stella Passage

Joecap
The SD version is too bad. I know Direct TV, however, transmits the HD versions of all the Dothan stations. I am thinking about switching since I depend on a small outdoor antenna to pickup the HD versions of the locals and sometimes they drop when the wind blows.

Joecap
The SD version is too bad. I know Direct TV, however, transmits the HD versions of all the Dothan stations. I am thinking about switching since I depend on a small outdoor antenna to pickup the HD versions of the locals and sometimes they drop when the wind blows.
It appears that thanks to Larry, I was misinformed, Dothan will launch their locals in HD on June 3rd. If so you will get your NBC from Panama City in HD and you can get your other locals in Dothan HD.

So stay with Dish and forget your antenna..!!:D

Anyone heard what Dish is going to do about the distant nets? Are the AAD ones going to disappear?

since it sounds like DIsh may be able to do distants (not importing neighboring locals...distants) AAD is not needed

After all, Dish subleases a couple TP's to AAD

So, where is the section of STELA which says DiSH can walk right back into these services in less than 90 days?
SEC. 105. CERTAIN WAIVERS GRANTED TO PROVIDERS OF LOCAL-INTO-LOCAL SERVICE FOR ALL DMAS.
Section 119 is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:
‘(g) Certain Waivers Granted to Providers of Local-into-local Service to All DMAs-
‘(1) INJUNCTION WAIVER- A court that issued an injunction pursuant to subsection (a)(7)(B) before the date of the enactment of this subsection shall waive such injunction if the court recognizes the entity against which the injunction was issued as a qualified carrier

It then goes on to give all the conditions whereby Dish jumps through hoops and emerges as a (cue choir) "qualified carrier".

since it sounds like DIsh may be able to do distants (not importing neighboring locals...distants) AAD is not needed

After all, Dish subleases a couple TP's to AAD

But it is unclear whether Dish wants to do distants themselves.

There are three reasons to continue with AAD:

1 - AAD already have everything setup, including waiver requests, CS reps, etc.

2 - A company that provides distants cannot provide them to any customer who can get locals from the company, and in order to provide distants, Dish is required to provide locals in all DMAs. So, only RV customers will qualify to get distants through Dish, while more will qualify through AAD.

3 - Dish may have some sort of long term contract with AAD...

Thanks.
Looks like the first "hoop" is getting a temporary waiver from that court. The temporary waiver is good for 120 days of activity to get all DMAs up. Wonder what new "hoops" they have go through just to offer a new market?

Thanks.
Looks like the first "hoop" is getting a temporary waiver from that court. The temporary waiver is good for 120 days of activity to get all DMAs up. Wonder what new "hoops" they have go through just to offer a new market?

Which makes me think Dish will not offer distants at all even though they technically could. It would be better to play it safe and let AAD do it and take any heat for messing up. Dish would get more happy customers with SV than they could in the RV market.

2 - A company that provides distants cannot provide them to any customer who can get locals from the company, and in order to provide distants, Dish is required to provide locals in all DMAs. So, only RV customers will qualify to get distants through Dish, while more will qualify through AAD.

In the UK, you have to pay a license to buy a TV set. That's the law there. Glad we don't have TV License here in the USA. But having no choice (or forced) to watch our DMA we live in on satellite is UnAmerican. My market (Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson,SC/Asheville, NC) is a split market. The news comes mainly from South Carolina. Northeast Georgia cities like Toccoa, Elberton, and Hart are in this market. They have to watch the Carolina Panthers games instead of their home state Atlanta Falcons games. That means Northeast Georgians have no access to Georgia news, weather, and sports. The DMA system is got to fixed for good.

I've got a question for kstuart, what do you mean when you said "while more will qualify through AAD"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)