DISH Statement on Stella Passage

They may uplink CBS...but none of the Dothan chanenls are in HD on Dish right now

Iceberg,

Thanks for all your help in explaing whats going on with the Dothan CBS situation.

Can you explain what would be stopping "E" from turning on Dothan CBS in HD on 3 June?

Is there some technical reason that "E" is not able to provide CBS in HD to Dothan?

Thanks!

Stu

not necessarily...the map Scott showed was SD only

see todays upink
SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 110°W

Dothan CBS is now in Panama CIty's local area (although not available yet) and PC NBC is in Dothan now (SD Only)

How is it that those of us in the Panama City DMA can get WJHG in HD...... but based on this map "E" is going to have WJHG in SD?????

Why???? who is going to get this SD signal if HD is available??

Are there separate signals for SD and HD versions of the same channel?

I'm a little confused about this.

Stu

I believe a lot has to do with the spotbeam coverage. If the neighboring DMA HD spotbeam covers the SV DMA then they will get the HD version. If not, it looks like the SD version is duplicated on the SD beam. I will admit I haven't looked at every case so I could be wrong.

The signal is likely a downconvert of the HD center cut to 4 X 3. They put this up first since SD came first and is still only available on many recievers in your area. They may not have permisson to deliver the HD in their respective markets.

Even when the HD comes, the SD will still exist on the 119/110 service.

Last edited:
Iceberg,

Thanks for all your help in explaing whats going on with the Dothan CBS situation.

Can you explain what would be stopping "E" from turning on Dothan CBS in HD on 3 June?

Is there some technical reason that "E" is not able to provide CBS in HD to Dothan?

Thanks!

Stu

I think the reason right now is none of the Dothan stations are in HD right now. Once DIsh hammers out HD agreements with the stations then they could turn on HD locals

How is it that those of us in the Panama City DMA can get WJHG in HD...... but based on this map "E" is going to have WJHG in SD?????

Why???? who is going to get this SD signal if HD is available??
spotbeam maps are different sometimes for HD versus SD

Also you have to realize NBC is technically not in your market. It is being imported from another market so there may be different rules. The rest of the locals in your market are in SD only so it doesnt make sense to turn on just one HD channel

Are there separate signals for SD and HD versions of the same channel?
depends on the station. Some stations have a SD subchannel (here in Minneapolis Fox, My, CW all have SD subchannels) but Dish usually grabs the main feed and does one of two things
-zooms it so all programming is 4:3
-sets the format to 4:3 so anything in HD will have black bars on top and bottom. On Directv they do that to NBC so we have black bars on top and bottom during the news on the SD channel

I think the reason right now is none of the Dothan stations are in HD right now. Once DIsh hammers out HD agreements with the stations then they could turn on HD locals

They are HD for "D" but none of them are HD for "E".

I know that the Dothan CBS station is owned by the same company that owns the Panama City NBC station and the Tallahassee DBS station and "E" offers both in HD.

Hopefully the agreements are in place and just waiting for "E" to make them available.

Stu

spotbeam maps are different sometimes for HD versus SD

Also you have to realize NBC is technically not in your market. It is being imported from another market so there may be different rules. The rest of the locals in your market are in SD only so it doesnt make sense to turn on just one HD channel

depends on the station. Some stations have a SD subchannel (here in Minneapolis Fox, My, CW all have SD subchannels) but Dish usually grabs the main feed and does one of two things
-zooms it so all programming is 4:3
-sets the format to 4:3 so anything in HD will have black bars on top and bottom. On Directv they do that to NBC so we have black bars on top and bottom during the news on the SD channel

Just to be clear..... I'm in Florida and I do get the NBC in HD.

All of the local HD networks I receive, NBC, ABC, and FOX are just as you describe with the black bars for local programing.

I wasn't aware that local stations had to workmout agreements with "E" for HD transmission....... when there is no LOCAL HD programing......only whats fed from the network.

Stu

But it is unclear whether Dish wants to do distants themselves.

There are three reasons to continue with AAD:

1 - AAD already have everything setup, including waiver requests, CS reps, etc.

2 - A company that provides distants cannot provide them to any customer who can get locals from the company, and in order to provide distants, Dish is required to provide locals in all DMAs. So, only RV customers will qualify to get distants through Dish, while more will qualify through AAD.

3 - Dish may have some sort of long term contract with AAD...

If AAD does stick around, I will only keep LA HD Fox, CBS and NBC. I don't currently get ABC through AAD and I will have dish for KC channels plus OTA. This will reduce my bill from $41 to $15 (I currently have all 4 markets). The only question is whether Dish will give me HD channels for Fox, CBS and NBC from KC. The spotbeam reaches my house, but they mapped SD channels right after the St. Joe SD channel.

Dish should just continue to let AAD handle the distant nets. After all, Dish has to have transponder space for SD & HD distants as well (same amount). AAD has it all set up with customers and waivers. Dish would likely make more $$$$$$$$ off of it by letting AAD handle distants instead of Dish themselves.

If Dish has all 210 DMA's why have distants?

For the RV'ers? If so NY Big 4 are still CONUS on 119 (not AAD) so they can use those.

If Dish has all 210 DMA's why have distants?

For the RV'ers? If so NY Big 4 are still CONUS on 119 (not AAD) so they can use those.

According to the law on RVs, Recreational Vehicles are NOT eligible for local-into-local services. You have to get the east and west coast SD feeds of the four networks and one HD feed of the four networks based on your home timezone.

why would you need both time zones? Just get one and you're all set

National channels like Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, and ION has West coast feeds on satellite providers. That's a different story. ;)

Viewers on the west coast for example will have to watch delayed broadcasts of national network news at 6:30pm Pacific (depending on market) instead seeing it live at 3:30pm Pacific/6:30pm Eastern because it's on the west coast feed. The only way west coast viewers can watch live programming is sporting events on channels like their local ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX affiliates. Most people who get to see the shows live (non-sporting events) are east coast viewers (including central time zone viewers) like for example Dancing with The Stars on ABC it broadcasts live (except on the mountain/pacific time zones). Back then, affiliates pre-empted network programming means it's not "cleared", and affiliates picked up programming is a "cleared" program, that's the way affiliate clearances were back then. Most stations are broadcasting the entire network programming's entire schedule with a few exceptions. Here are the exampes for stations not clearing a show. Like KSL-TV in Salt Lake City, Utah, an NBC affiliate owned by the Mormon church, they refused to air Saturday Night Live and Poker After Dark. The latter was not shown on NBC affiliates like KPRC-TV in Houston, Texas and WDIV-TV in Detroit, Michigan. Also WWL-TV, CBS' New Oreleans affiliate don't clear The Early Show, instead it's seen on it's sister station WUPL-TV (MyNetworkTV). My NBC affiliate (WYFF-TV in Greenville, South Carolina) is one of the few NBC affiliates that don't clear the fourth hour of NBC's Today. Not all stations are created equal when it comes to network programming.

What ever happend to MyTVRights.com campaign? It haven't been updated since November 2009.

Well I'm for S. 3333 (aka STELLA bill), here's an update according to WashingtonWatch.com site on S. 3333. 60% for and 40% against the bill.

But I recieved a letter from Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC) a month ago speaking about my petition I created at Abolish The Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act | Petition2Congress | He told me in this letter:

Dear Spencer:

Thank you for talking time to contact me regarding the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA). I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you on this issue.

I recognize your desire to allow satellite providers to broadcast duplicative programming from competing designated market areas. Although I appreciate the goal of maximizing programming availability for satellite consumers. I believe that negative ramifications could result from such a sweeping change. Compulsory importation of duplicative programming will inevitably serve to devale the broadcast product, and I understand the desire on behalf of broadcasters to maintain their right to control their transmissions.

Again, thank you for taking time to write. If I may be of any further assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call on me.

Sincerely,

Lindsey O. Graham
United States Senate

What do you think about this letter? Could it be approving or a disapointment?

ok couple thoughts
what does 1/2 your post have to do with ANYTHING?

2nd I'm aware of how supposedly the whole east coast west coast thing works but that doesnt stop AAD from allowing folks in western time zone to get both E & W feeds.

If you're in a RV how can they figure out where you are?

Example...my dad's buddy goes to Florida each year. They have distants through Directv. Just the NY feed. Well they traveled to Arizona for a couple months (March/April)....so now Directv is suppose to give them west coast feeds?

Since NY is already up on 119 though Dish if they really need to put up a west coast feed put LA back up on CONUS....remember when Dish lost the right to provide distants they put LA on spotbeam (and all the "movers" whined about it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)