DISH Sub Planning a New Roof This spring

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I am strongly leaning toward a new roof in the spring. I am a DISH sub with a 622, 722 and 211K. I diplex OTA to all of these but may rooms already have a second coax drop.

I suspect that roofers will mess up my OTA and DISH installs. I am starting tho think about whether I should stay with my current DISH setup or consider one of the following

1. A Hopper Joey (although I am undecided as to the mix)
2. Switching to Cox Cable
3. Switching to Verizon FIOS

I was wondering what some of the regulars here might advise. FWIW I live in Northern Virginia.

BTW if it is decided this should be in some other forum so be it.

Honestly, go to the Hopper Joey mix. I have cox in my area and the only thing they are good for is their internet. Their equipment, even the Contour, is archaic and dumb. I don't know anything about Fios so I cannot mention anything there, but I just would want them for my TV personally... Nothing business related, just feel personally that they should stick with mobile. Dish hopper is great because you can do Netflix, plus so much more. Honestly don't think you will be disappointed. As far as the roof goes, show them the antennas and the cables and tell them to be careful and if anything is questionable, call you to mark them and place them in a safe area.

I live in FFX VA, and so does thekrell, who may chime in.

I had Cox years ago, which ensures I will never have them again.

I have Fios for land line and Internet, and for that, they are great. Their newest receiver is quite good. SatelliteGal has them for video and can tell you much more. I am quite happy with Dish and have terabytes of programs on EHDs. I calculated that Fios would cost MORE than Dish for similar service.

I moved from two ViP722 units to two HWS and a Joey. Never looked back. But thekrell will gladly tell you why he's happy to stay with his ViP units.

We're planning an intervention for him. ;)

I'd suggest going to a gable mount for the dish and any OTA antenna. I wish I'd have gone that route.

BTW, the Hopper OTA dongle works just fine.

Reactions: TheKrell
Funny you mentioned this geronimo. I'm in northern VA also and I just had my roof replaced last week!

I have two 612's and one 722 all of which are diplexed with my OTA antenna. My roofers removed my 1000.4 and a separate D500 w/OTA antenna on the same mast. Of course that prevented me from seeing any satellite info or using my external disks. I was shocked to see that my receivers recorded an episode of Nature and another of Nova off my OTA antenna even though they had not "seen" the satellites to get authentication in a couple of days. The time was 4 minutes early, but at least it worked.

I added the PP and Dish's contractor came out and reinstalled my 1000.4 and got everything Dish-related working again. My roofer had broken the OTA antenna mounting fixture, so I decided to leave the D500 along with it's mast off. My OTA antenna is lying loose on the roof. I always intended to improve the antenna situation anyhow, so I am only moderately annoyed by the breakage. Recordings on PBS still continue despite my loose OTA antenna.

I probably do not want to use the same roofing company that The Krell used. That is probably a post for another message board though.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well the weather is quite warm and one of the roofers offered me reduced price if I would pull the trigger early. So this past Friday they arrived and replaced my roof and my dish and OTA antennas have been removed.

I finally decided to go ahead with the Hopper upgrade. I originally scheduled for the one convenient time for me---Tuesday AM but of course the confirmation email listed a different time. I assume this is just glitch on the radar and I will eventually have TV again. Thanks to all for the advice.

Well the weather is quite warm and one of the roofers offered me reduced price if I would pull the trigger early. So this past Friday they arrived and replaced my roof and my dish and OTA antennas have been removed.

I finally decided to go ahead with the Hopper upgrade. I originally scheduled for the one convenient time for me---Tuesday AM but of course the confirmation email listed a different time. I assume this is just glitch on the radar and I will eventually have TV again. Thanks to all for the advice.
If you go to mydish.com and click the "my appointments" link on the left, it will show you what Dish has, and that should reduce any surprises.

Hopefully the new system will work better than the old. My curent prooblem was them scheduling for an entirely different time and I realized that when I received the confirmation email. Stuff happens.

When I had a new roof installed, I was reluctant to install the Dish back on my new roof. I didn't want to put holes in my new roof! I called Dish and asked them if they would install a ground mount. Dish sent out a tech and he installed the Dish on a pole in the ground. Because I was long-time customer, and I and the protection plan, Dish did the install for free.

I am really glad that the Dish is not on my new roof, and now it is really easy to sweep snow off the dish. Because of trees, Dish had to install the Dish about 100 feet from my house. The tech had to bury the wire all the way to the dish and they still did not charge for the install!

Does your dish have to mounted on the roof?

I always prefer pole mounts over rood mounts because that prevents holes in a rood and gives you better access to the dish to remove the snow and to work on or have the dish upgraded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)