dish supporting cinemax and drm

when did dish start supporting digital rights management for cinemax programing on their dvrs?? was their a recent update to them. i have the dish dvr 625

First of all, :welcome to Satelliteguys.us! Now, what kind of drm are you seeing? I'm not sure what kind - if any drm Cinemax has infected their programming with.

I recall Scott mentioned that a while ago - search for "DRM" in Scott's posts.

There was discussion of it quite some time ago, but the only thing that actually ended up happening was the sabotaging of PPV to impose a 24hr limit. HBO says they have a 1 copy rule implemented on their shows. You can keep one copy as long as you want, but you can't make multiple digital copies. Nobody has sabotaged the HD stream by downrezzing component yet. I was curious if the OP was talking about some new implementation. I do wish he'd elaborate.

so it i can keep my cinemax recordings on my box as long as i want. i read about this on dish networks site in their limited recording section. it said ppv hbo and cinemax were the only channels using drm

so it i can keep my cinemax recordings on my box as long as i want. i read about this on dish networks site in their limited recording section. it said ppv hbo and cinemax were the only channels using drm

Drm is a very broad term. It can refer to an number of types of sabotage of a given program. As far as I've seen, and nobody here has said to the contrary, any drm on the premium channels is not the type that sets time limits. Believe me, if they'd have started that, this place would have gone nuts. In fact, here is the part of the HBO web site which deals with this. http://www.hbo.com/corpinfo/faq/cgmsfaq.shtml They apparently are only interested in enforcing a single copy rule. Time limits are nowhere mentioned.

Last edited:
when did dish start supporting digital rights management for cinemax programing on their dvrs?? was their a recent update to them. i have the dish dvr 625

On my 625? I've never seen it. On my 622, I see Macrovision often from random things on HBO and Cinemax (and of course PPV) even for analog copies from S-Video/composite to my DVD recorder.

Since the subject has been brought up, what exactly does Macrovision affect? I know that you can't record s-video or composite to a DVD recorder that observes the standard, but what about recording component to a Hauppauge 1212?

Drm is a very broad term. It can refer to an number of types of sabotage of a given program. As far as I've seen, and nobody here has said to the contrary, any drm on the premium channels is not the type that sets time limits. Believe me, if they'd have started that, this place would have gone nuts. In fact, here is the part of the HBO web site which deals with this. HBO Online: Corporate Info : FAQ - HBO Application of CGMS-A Copyright Protection<br><br> They apparently are only interested in enforcing a single copy rule. Time limits are nowhere mentioned.

All well and good but I have to ask...How would one have more than one copy of a show they DVR'd from HBO? Its either on your DVR OR on your EHD...am I missing something?

All well and good but I have to ask...How would one have more than one copy of a show they DVR'd from HBO? Its either on your DVR OR on your EHD...am I missing something?
Its quite possible to record (and keep) a show more than once on your DVR, not to mention having multiple recordings of it also on an EHD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)