Dish switching to directv good choice?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cabletech43

Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Louisville, Ky
I've been a dish customer for 4 years and like them but I've always heard really good things about directv. And my dish bill has gone up with all there stupid changes for 2009. So I've found a good deal with directv. Hddvr and 2 STD dvrs. First time to have he with sat. Really just trying to fund out if I made the right choice and what to expect. By the way I'm a catv supv and a former dish tech before the hd got popular

It depends on why youre leaving Dish. They both have a lot of free deals going on now. Before you switch tell Dish and see how badly they want you as a customer.

I just switched from direct to dish and i can tell you Im saving about 30 dollars a month now that im with dish and i have everything i had with directv plus i now have HD that i didnt have with direct and the picture quality is incredible compared to what i was getting with direct and that is on my standard tv's not my HD tv since im not able to compare that not having hd with directv.

I just switched from direct to dish and i can tell you Im saving about 30 dollars a month now that im with dish and i have everything i had with directv plus i now have HD that i didnt have with direct and the picture quality is incredible compared to what i was getting with direct and that is on my standard tv's not my HD tv since im not able to compare that not having hd with directv.

Curious, why did you post this in the D* forum, if your a DISH guy ?
Would'nt you think you'd want to be browsing the DISH forum for info ?

First post too... something smells a little fishy.

(Ok this is odd. I've posted plenty here in the past, and now my little post pointing out that it's this guy's first post, and it says I have one post? Did a lot of threads get deleted or something?)

First post too... something smells a little fishy.

(Ok this is odd. I've posted plenty here in the past, and now my little post pointing out that it's this guy's first post, and it says I have one post? Did a lot of threads get deleted or something?)

I was going to say the same thing, but seeing you said you have other posts, I won't :D
even in your profile it only shows 1 post for you .... glitch ?
Maybe I can go back to having 1 post :D

Jimbo

The grass aint always greener on the other side!

Unless you want MLB or NFL Season Ticket there is no point switching to Directv from Dish. You might see some short term promotional savings, but after that the prices are the same.

If you want to switch because of the price increase, I got news for ya Directv is raising their prices also!

Unless you want MLB or NFL Season Ticket there is no point switching to Directv from Dish. You might see some short term promotional savings, but after that the prices are the same.

If you want to switch because of the price increase, I got news for ya Directv is raising their prices also!

I agree, unless your switching for a reason .... sport package ... ect.
Other than that, both do about the same thing and PQ is not that different.

As for prices going up, of course they are, they go up every year for BOTH providers as well as every other company.

Jimbo

Though if you have more then one HD/DVR TV, the fees on the Dish side an add up. When I have priced out similar packages on the Dish side its about 10-15 dollars more. Though as was posted earlier dont switch just to switch, do some research. For me personally switching sat providers would be a bit of a big commitment with swapping dishes, equipment and all, so I would want to make sure I really would want to do it

One question guru 25. How the hell do you save thirty dollars with Dish? I recently switched from dish and was getting shafted for about $110 a month for the top 250 with one premi, with Direct, I get the premier with an HDDVR, H23 and a standard for less than $100 a month. So tell me, how did you do it? And since your such a genius, the post starter wanted to know if it was good that he left dish, not why he should stay. Answer the question, don't start stuff in this forum. This is for civilized users, not voom maniacs or Charlie Sack riders.

Thats what I'm sayin! Thats the same package i had/have with dish and i was getting jammed with $110 bill without hd. I did look into hd with dish but it was much more for the upgrade and the monthly package fee.

Unless you want MLB or NFL Season Ticket there is no point switching to Directv from Dish.

Claude, that is coming from the Dishnetwork retailer you are. However I have been with Dish for over 5 years and there are definitely some advantages to switching to Direct for many of us.

1. MSG - our RSN in HD (Not on E*)Which we probably will never see on E*.
2. YES Network (Not on E*) Which we probably will never see on E*
3. All my locals in HD (E* still does not have an agreement with Granite Broadcasting which owns the ABC in the Buffalo Area.
4. MLB Network (Which we probably will never see on E*, because of E* spats with MLB).

All these services are not just available on D*, but also on TWC in our area. (Actually TWC is promising the world to us former subs to get them back) No wonder Dish has lost over 100,000 subs in 2008. Many of us have lost our patience.

As for movie channels; my netflix account and live streaming of movies is more of a value than any subscription to a premium channel on any dish or cableco.

My NHLCI subscription will expire in late april/or may. If Dish doesn't make a major splash soon, I will be joining the 100,000 others elsewhere too.

Claude, that is coming from the Dishnetwork retailer you are. However I have been with Dish for over 5 years and there are definitely some advantages to switching to Direct for many of us.

1. MSG - our RSN in HD (Not on E*)Which we probably will never see on E*.
2. YES Network (Not on E*) Which we probably will never see on E*
3. All my locals in HD (E* still does not have an agreement with Granite Broadcasting which owns the ABC in the Buffalo Area.
4. MLB Network (Which we probably will never see on E*, because of E* spats with MLB).

All these services are not just available on D*, but also on TWC in our area. (Actually TWC is promising the world to us former subs to get them back) No wonder Dish has lost over 100,000 subs in 2008. Many of us have lost our patience.

As for movie channels; my netflix account and live streaming of movies is more of a value than any subscription to a premium channel on any dish or cableco.

My NHLCI subscription will expire in late april/or may. If Dish doesn't make a major splash soon, I will be joining the 100,000 others elsewhere too.

This is exactly why I'm switching from Dish to Direct. I'm moving into a new house and decided on Direct because of a few things. One, I can now get MSG+ in HD, which allows me to watch my lowly Islanders in HD. Two, I can have the MLB Network and in HD no less. Although I know every satellite and cable provider has the right to drop channels it seems that Dish does this with reckless abandon. The dropping of VOOM in May 2008 still annoys the living hell out of me.

I'm just going with the lesser of all evils here. None of these providers are perfect but at least with Direct I can get those last few channels I've been wanting.

You might see some short term promotional savings, but after that the prices are the same.

So even a Dish dealer is saying that even with all the bravado about Charlie saving Dish customers money buy playing hardball with content providers and dropping channels that D* and E* prices are the same.

I am thinking of switching to DirecTV from Dish since Dish canceled GolTV. It is really a shame for Dish, because I also describe to Setanta and MLS Direct Kick. I want to switch before the new MLS season starts. I still have a month left on my Dish contract. Can I get DirecTV to credit me the $13 and are there anymore potential deals I can bargin for? (Like a free reciver other then one they give away for free)

Also thinking. Any Indy Subs?

The reason, LOS. Indy locals coming on Dish soon, but on Sat 129 which I cannot get a clear shot of. House is heavily tree'd to the south. But with D* higher elevation, I would be in good shape. My question for any Indy subs...is there any reason for getting the AM21 tuner? Are the locals quality good enough? Thank You!!

Ok, i have both dish and direc.

HD picture is the same. Both have specials going on.

Direc: shines on the sports front-No comparision. MSG and NFL is why im with Direc.
However, You cant get Ny Rangers in HD becuase of a dispute between NHL and MSG.
That said, I love center ice and the NFL package. Its been worth the boatload of money ive spent on it.

Dish: ill be honest-The equipment (dvr) is the best machine by far on the market. That is the the only reason i still stay with dish. Its a horrible company. They simply dont care about long term customers. Especialy high paying ones. I pay a fraction of what i paid before. Plus i made sure i was not and never will be straddled into a contract.

The take down of 15 Voom channels still stings till this day. Dish takes down channels at will.
Again the worst customer care of all.

I would recomend those on the fense or new customers to go direc. Direc has been great.
No cutting of channels and excellent customer service!

I am thinking of switching to DirecTV from Dish since Dish canceled GolTV. It is really a shame for Dish, because I also describe to Setanta and MLS Direct Kick. I want to switch before the new MLS season starts. I still have a month left on my Dish contract. Can I get DirecTV to credit me the $13 and are there anymore potential deals I can bargin for? (Like a free reciver other then one they give away for free)

Direc will bend over backwards to get you into the fold. Im sure they will work something out for you.

They have always done right by me.

I switched for two reasons. 1. at the time Directv had my HD locals ... Dish didn't and 2. Directv had Speed HD and Setanta Extra

The on demand was a bonus from directv ... but if dish had my locals and Speed HD .. i would probably have stayed where i was ... not much difference between the two to be honest ....

Dish DVR is sightly better .. but I prefer the Directv Software and menu navigation on the DVR so its a toss-up.

The up-front discounts were also a bonus ... but after that price is about the same whoever you are with depending on the hardware you have got ...

I wouldn't switch just for the sake of switching if you are reasonably happy with your current provider ... having said that - the $500+ discounts on the bill for the first year or two are always a bonus if you do make the leap ;)

If I were to jump again I'd do it because of content rather than price, but Directv fits me much better than Dish ever did. I just never seem to dread having to call and try and understand an accent as I can call and speak with someone based in the US ... customer service and setup just seems a whole lot better with directv ...

For now - I'm sticking with Directv .... but only YOU can decide what features and/or programming choices are deal breakers for YOU. Don;t let anything that I say or anyone else for that matter make your decision for you .. as nobody else knows your needs/wants/must haves or your situation.

My contract with Dish is up in two weeks so I am also considering switching to Directv. The only thing that is holding me back is that I have heard the Directv DVR is slow and buggy. I like the Dish 722 so I am reluctant to give it up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts