Dish talks about programming costs

Yep, I find it hard to believe they have a larger Fiber Optic Network than Verizon/Verzon Wireless...expecially when you incluce fiber-to-the-home service for 4+ million FiOS customers.

I was not doubting it, just wanting to know more about the what, where, etc.

Even if there is lag, I think there would be a big market out there for data as fast as 5-15 MB down if they can be competitive with DSL / Cable and not have such a strict FAP. Most download and do not upload and many do not use VoIP and do not game. I bet half the market would be available. They need much more solid speeds than what they have now without the strict FAP to become true DSL / Cable competition.

The problem with programming high cost is that consumers are never satisfied with one level of channels. The minute a new channel is announced you see this board with questions when it is going to be available. Look at the local channels sports. I live in ny and do not miss Yes, Sny or Mlb. I am a baseball fan. But how much baseaball can I watch over a baseball season. I can to the conclusion that I had enough baseaball with espn or fox or tbs. And you know what I dont watch those channels very much. There is enough media out there besides tv where I can get all the information I need. We get played by the programmers into paying for channels we do not watch. There is a bunch of channels that I wish I could drop and save money. The current structure makes it impossible. It is a supply and demand problem. As long as we keep asking for useless channels, we will keep paying more and more. I wish that the gov and look how big of a scam this is. Starting with hollywood.

Sent from my LG-P999 using SatelliteGuys

I agree, there is too many useless channels that we pay for. I sub to the top 250 only because it has 1 of the 1/2 dozen channels I watch, if that channel was in the top 150 I would be subbing to that package and be saving 20.00 a month. As a SD viewer ( I have no real use for HD even though I have a HD TV) I know that I am paying higher premiums because Dish has to pass the higher HD programming costs on to me. TV unlike so many other people is not all that important in my life.

I agree, there is too many useless channels that we pay for. I sub to the top 250 only because it has 1 of the 1/2 dozen channels I watch, if that channel was in the top 150 I would be subbing to that package and be saving 20.00 a month. As a SD viewer ( I have no real use for HD even though I have a HD TV) I know that I am paying higher premiums because Dish has to pass the higher HD programming costs on to me. TV unlike so many other people is not all that important in my life.
HD programming doesn't cost anymore than the SD. Except when you get greed mongers like Disney in there that want payment twice for the same channel. 1 payment for SD & 1 for HD.

Yep, I find it hard to believe they have a larger Fiber Optic Network than Verizon/Verzon Wireless...expecially when you incluce fiber-to-the-home service for 4+ million FiOS customers.

Almost all the LIL is carried on their network from the receive point to their main uplink sites. I've worked in TV stations that housed the fiber out going to providers, AT&T,& Directv,. The last station I worked at the competition down the street was the hub of D*, E*, and the locals cable co's. The station I worked at had the AT&T fiber link for their hub. BTW want to see a TV station newsroom freak out: cut the fiber to the area.

Give the guy a break, English may just be his 2nd language. :)

No, they just can't comprehend English.

How about this.. There is NO way to NOT have lag on a satellite connection, because each request has to travel 93,000 miles just in satellite links. At the speed of light (186,000 miles per second), that is 500mS right there, and that's not even counting any processing time at each point in the link (modem > transmitter > satellite > ground station > backbone and back), so realistically you have to figure 750-1000mS into each request. And again, you then have to add the actual wireline ping time.

I've used 2 way satellite internet before, and the lag is absolutely obnoxious on a good day.

Last edited:
Maybe a company will provide a service via IPTV or FTA and have optional pay channels for a low price that does not force the company to buy a bunch of other sucky channels that they own to get the good channel. Maybe a decent enough package can be created as a result. This would also allow for ala carte although I am sure whichever provider would need a minimum to make it worthwhile and may have something like what Dish Network had such as DishPix where you select so many channels for an x amount per month.

A la carte will never be economically feasible. Ever. For the provider or the consumer. Just look at Hits2Home on C-band. By the time you build yourself a halfway decent package, you're already at or above the same price as you would be on D* or E*, but with far less channels. And of course there's the channels that programmers will insist on you getting if you want one of theirs.. Like if you have kids and you want Nickelodeon, they're going to ram all of the MTV networks down your throat. SOME channels (as in 16 of them) are available on H2H a la carte for $6, $8, or $10 per channel per month.. How is that worthwhile?

So yeah, it'll never work out. We're always going to be stuck with niche channels built into our packages.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts