Dish: The "90%" company - Who cares if the other 10% is the most important?

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
So, after being a Dish subscriber for the past 9 years, I've come to the conclusion that Dish prides themselves on being 90% good. The only problem is that the last 10% is the most important part. Why? Here are my reasons:

• Programming: For the most part, Dish Network has great programming. 90% Great. But where's AMC? Where's Disney HD? I was with at&t UVerse for a short time when I was in a temporary apartment (while waiting on a new home to be built) and it felt like there were sooo many HD channels.
  • 3D: Where are the Olympics in 3D? Their excuse?: "Not enough bandwidth." AMC freed up some bandwidth. Epic Fail!
  • DVRs: Don't get me wrong. Dish's DVRs are fantastic. 90% fantastic. But, they ALWAYS screw them up with updates. The latest update to the Hopper changed the Autohop default button choice to "No". Sure, it was for legal reasons, but is ANYBODY really going to say "No. I like watching commercials when I have the option to skip them." :rolleyes: The latest update also screwed up autohop. Now, you have to watch the first 7 or 8 seconds of the first commercial before autohop even kicks in. Also, Hopper customers have been requesting a better way to sort content. Perhaps a list view instead of all graphical icons. Finding anything on the Hopper is pretty difficult and I've had it since launch and used it daily since. It's 90% there, but if Dish follows their track record, new updates will make this DVR worse and worse.
  • Acquisition of Sling: Great move for Dish. Sling was great technology for Dish to acquire. Dish's implementation of the technology is lackluster to say the least. Have you ever tried to play back any programming using the Dish App for Android, iOS or DishRemote.com? It's nearly impossible. The GUi is fantastic. Logging in is easy. It's 90% there, but when you go to play any content at all, good luck getting a "connection" or with it even playing the correct channel :rolleyes:! It's that last 10% that matters.
  • Acquisition of Blockbuster: I just added Blockbuster@Home to my account. One word: Lame. The online streaming content for Blockbuster@Home is horrid (if you can even navigate it from the Hopper interface) and the queue that sends one Blu-Ray at a time rarely sends you what's at the top of your queue. Many items have been on "short wait" for months. If that's a short wait, I'd hate to see a long wait.

My point here is that Dish has the potential to be the very best at EVERYTHING. But their direction and implementation of technology and is so so bad. I think I want to start blaming it on leadership. I used to work in the corporate world. So, I know how these companies are ran from the top down. But if the guys at the top are unaware of the fact that the Hopper is getting messed up via firmware/software updates, the programming doesn't match their competitors, they're missing the boat of customer demands for new technology such as 3D, Sling doesn't work at all and the implementation of Blockbuster is a mess, then this company with continue to be 90% great. And the last 10% is the most important part.

Good analogy navy. For me Tv is not ranked very high on the priority list. The bottom line is peoples voices truly count when they vote with their wallets.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

ChetK said:
So, after being a Dish subscriber for the past 9 years, I've come to the conclusion that Dish prides themselves on being 90% good. The only problem is that the last 10% is the most important part. Why? Here are my reasons:

[*]Programming: For the most part, Dish Network has great programming. 90% Great. But where's AMC? Where's Disney HD? I was with at&t UVerse for a short time when I was in a temporary apartment (while waiting on a new home to be built) and it felt like there were sooo many HD channels.
[*]3D: Where are the Olympics in 3D? Their excuse?: "Not enough bandwidth." AMC freed up some bandwidth. Epic Fail!
[*]DVRs: Don't get me wrong. Dish's DVRs are fantastic. 90% fantastic. But, they ALWAYS screw them up with updates. The latest update to the Hopper changed the Autohop default button choice to "No". Sure, it was for legal reasons, but is ANYBODY really going to say "No. I like watching commercials when I have the option to skip them." :rolleyes: The latest update also screwed up autohop. Now, you have to watch the first 7 or 8 seconds of the first commercial before autohop even kicks in. Also, Hopper customers have been requesting a better way to sort content. Perhaps a list view instead of all graphical icons. Finding anything on the Hopper is pretty difficult and I've had it since launch and used it daily since. It's 90% there, but if Dish follows their track record, new updates will make this DVR worse and worse.
[*]Acquisition of Sling: Great move for Dish. Sling was great technology for Dish to acquire. Dish's implementation of the technology is lackluster to say the least. Have you ever tried to play back any programming using the Dish App for Android, iOS or DishRemote.com? It's nearly impossible. The GUi is fantastic. Logging in is easy. It's 90% there, but when you go to play any content at all, good luck getting a "connection" or with it even playing the correct channel :rolleyes:! It's that last 10% that matters.
[*]Acquisition of Blockbuster: I just added Blockbuster@Home to my account. One word: Lame. The online streaming content for Blockbuster@Home is horrid (if you can even navigate it from the Hopper interface) and the queue that sends one Blu-Ray at a time rarely sends you what's at the top of your queue. Many items have been on "short wait" for months. If that's a short wait, I'd hate to see a long wait.

My point here is that Dish has the potential to be the very best at EVERYTHING. But their direction and implementation of technology and is so so bad. I think I want to start blaming it on leadership. I used to work in the corporate world. So, I know how these companies are ran from the top down. But if the guys at the top are unaware of the fact that the Hopper is getting messed up via firmware/software updates, the programming doesn't match their competitors, they're missing the boat of customer demands for new technology such as 3D, Sling doesn't work at all and the implementation of Blockbuster is a mess, then this company with continue to be 90% great. And the last 10% is the most important part.

Very good post. While I'm sure diehard dish fans will be put off. I am in the camp that's sees the good and bad.
My take: great equipment, shaky management.
You forgot the constant programming disputes.
Constant takedown of valued programming.
Does Voom ring a bell?

sad-face-1.jpg

GaryPen said:
I think he sees it 90% full.

I also see it that way. I love the equipment compared to others, but is it really too much to ask for the features if the receiver to just work properly?

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

If you are using Dish as the example because you subscribe to Dish, I can see what you are saying. If you are singling them out, then I don't because I would say most cable companies are not at 90%, and Direct TV is like Dish at 90%.

I don't agree about programming at all though. They have about as much HD as anyone not including sports, most specifically full time RSN's. And they may not have AMC or the Disney's, but they are no question, hands down at this time less than virtually any provider, for most homes. So you can't pick on one thing without considering other things.

But then there are things they can fix to go higher than 90%. Not sling overall it's Dishonline that has to be fixed. They need to stop making settings "idiot proof." The guide not staying on your selection is just ridiculous. I know the Hopper is new, but Dish does need to get what is supposed to work, work. There are other things I would agree need to be better.

But where I really disagree is that 10% being the most important. Not even close. We can start this whole 3D thing again, but it does not affect even 3% of Dish customers.how can that be the most important thing? Relatively speaking no one cares. Dishonline should work no question, but it's not as important as having the channels I want in HD, which for the most part I do. Or having a great DVR, which my 612's are. Or reliability which for almost 16 years they have been. By the way I have two actual Slingboxes and they work fanstastic, I can do everything I can do at home on my Smarphone or computer. That doesn't make Dishonline not working ok, but there are alternatives that will give a better experience.
I get what you are saying, I just think it's overstated. But if Dish could clean up some of these things it would go a long way to being more polished.

Last edited:
why doesn't dish incorporate blockbuster by mail on the dvrs. Where you could search titles and add or delete movies from your queue. Also you would think that they would add the blockbuster on demand app into their dvrs. I have it on my bluray player and my tv. Now that they have a deal with roku, they could get it added on the roku as well. i do agree that they drop the ball on many things.

Some see the glass half empty, some see it half full.

That's not really fair. I realize you were trying to make a quick response, but I don't even see it half of anything. I even said so in my post.

If after nine years you are so unhappy why don't you just leave? Nobody is twisting your arm to stay.

LOL knot & boba. While I expected some major backlash (this is the internet after all), I don't want to "just leave". If you are 100% happy with everything, good for you. I, on the other hand, prefer to give constructive feedback. There are Dish reps around here, and I hope that they read this. It's not that I don't like Dish. It's just that there is room for improvement. Call me a crybaby or tell me where I can go if you'd like, but a person doesn't have to be content with a 90% company, especially when they pay over $100 a month to said company. Plus, as mentioned, I have the Hopper. You guess when my contract expires. No, I'm not staying because I'm under contract. I've always liked Dish's customer service. That's one reason to stay. I also believe they have the BEST DVRs on the market, but, like I said, there's always room for improvement.

I think he sees it 90% full.

I also see it that way. I love the equipment compared to others, but is it really too much to ask for the features if the receiver to just work properly

Thanks Gary & Chaz. That's exactly right.

If you are using Dish as the example because you subscribe to Dish, I can see what you are saying. If you are singling them out, then I don't because I would say most cable companies are not at 90%, and Direct TV is like Dish at 90%.

I am a Dish subscriber. I realize that the others don't have the great hardware that Dish has. I would absolutely be with DirecTV if I felt they offered a better experience for my preferences.

I don't agree about programming at all though. They have about as much HD as anyone not including sports, most specifically full time RSN's. And they may not have AMC or the Disney's, but they are no question, hands down at this time less than virtually any provider, for most homes. So you can't pick on one thing without considering other things.

Agreed and point taken. Always room for improvement though. 90% there.

But then there are things they can fix to go higher than 90%. Not sling overall it's Dishonline that has to be fixed.

Dishonline and the apps. At least for Android. The app is crap on my Phone and on my Galaxy Tab 10.1.

They need to stop making settings "idiot proof." The guide not staying on your selection is just ridiculous. I know the Hopper is new, but Dish does need to get what is supposed to work, work. There are other things I would agree need to be better.

Agreed.

But where I really disagree is that 10% being the most important. Not even close. We can start this whole 3D thing again, but it does not affect even 3% of Dish customers.how can that be the most important thing? Relatively speaking no one cares.

Then we will agree to disagree on this. Why even support 3D with your hardware if you can't even pick up one 3D channel for an event that goes on for 2 weeks every 4 years? There are threads here dedicated to wanting the Olympics in 3D. 80% of the country has it, but not the second largest satellite programming provider? i think more people care than you think. There are a lot more 3DTVs out there than many believe. I think it's higher than 3%, but I don't have proof.

Dishonline should work no question, but it's not as important as having the channels I want in HD, which for the most part I do. Or having a great DVR, which my 612's are. Or reliability which for almost 16 years they have been. By the way I have two actual Slingboxes and they work fanstastic, I can do everything I can do at home on my Smarphone or computer. That doesn't make Dishonline not working ok, but there are alternatives that will give a better experience.
I get what you are saying, I just think it's overstated. But if Dish could clean up some of these things it would go a long way to being more polished.

Fair enough. Slingbox doesn't work on either of my smart devices and I've read plenty of comments/threads that others have the same problems. You call it "polished". I call it an important 10%. It's frustrating to me because I know they have the know-how and the resources to accomplish that 10%, but they don't focus on it. I suppose, once you have the customers locked into contracts, the details, no matter how vital, are no longer a priority.

"Programming" covers a lot of areas.

If I seperate out "international" programming, I would give Dish a 90 and DirecTV and my local cable company a 10.

Sports on the other hand is a different matter.

Fair enough. Slingbox doesn't work on either of my smart devices and I've read plenty of comments/threads that others have the same problems.

Are you talking about the Slingbox or the Sling adapter? The Slingbox should work as slick as any app out there. It works flawlessly on my Android phones, and worked fine on my past windows phones. To my knowledge it works very well on Iphones/pads. If you are having a problem with the actual Slingbox App (not Sling Adapter) let me know maybe I can help with that. I would be lost with the my Slingboxes.

Dish obviously does not have the top strategy, or they would have more customers than DIRECTV and would not be losing subscribers. No strategy is going to make 100%, even 90% is stellar.

Obviously not every business venture is number one, Dish has done well and is one of the largest video providers in the US.

I understand all listed gripes except for the BB@home one. Blockbuster would presumably be nothing without someone swooping in and acquiring them after going bankrupt. Dish actually added services for free in implementing the BB disc and VOD content, considering that the Platinum Pack stayed the same price and was just renamed after the disc and VOD services were added to it. So how is that a negative? Even if the service doesn't work at all, it is at worst a neutral.

I can't think of one company out there runs their business 100% perfect. It's just not possible. I will agree with about everything you said though. Dish has had some great ideas but have not implemented them very well. I think you make some great points and I think some of is nit picking but overall pretty good feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts