Dish: The "90%" company - Who cares if the other 10% is the most important?

Well yes you do since the platinum pack is NOW BB@Home. Renamed when the mailed disc and streamingwas added. Guess you missed that one.

When I log into my account and look at my current programming, it states the following:

DishNetwork.com said:
Blockbuster@Home
America's Top 120
DVR Service
Protection Plan
HD 120 Free ($10/Mo)
HBO 1/2 - 6 Mo ($16/Mo)
Joey Receiver
Joey Receiver
Whole Home DVR Service

I'm not seeing the word "Platinum" on anything.

I can tell by the replies some just don't understand or realize what a Slingbox is or does, what the app does, or that you can do it for zip, zero, nada on a computer, and that Dish has done a great job integrating their remote into it......... But it's easier to be negative.

I can tell by the replies some just don't understand or realize what a Slingbox is or does, what the app does, or that you can do it for zip, zero, nada on a computer, and that Dish has done a great job integrating their remote into it......... But it's easier to be negative.
Please enlighten us. I have the Sling Adapter. None of my PCs will play back the video. Chat tech support just keeps saying "Clear your cache." Neither of my Android devices will play back the video using the Dish app.
Platinum HD is gone; now, it is called Blockbuster @ Home. FMI: DISH and Blockbuster Video Online | DISH Entertainment

Thanks. Either way, it isn't free for me. $10 a month. But, I can see how it would be considered free for those that had the Platinum pack prior to the acquisition of Blockbuster.

I am not sure why the logo of AXS is shown instead of the logo of HDNet Movies.

Didn't Mark Cuban change his networks? They are no longer called "HDNet".

it is now Blockbuster@Home

Got it. Thanks.

Blockbuster streaming prior to the Dish acquisition was all on demand/pay per view streaming. You couldn't pay a flat monthly fee and get access to the entire catalogue. So everyone that seems to imply that Dish has made it worse is completely off base if they expected the licensing agreements to magically change to allow Netflix style streaming.

Whoever is wondering about the stand alone sling app, do not get it unless you have a sling box. It will not work with a sling adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, $30 for a mobile app in this day and age. :( If the Dish app worked, the $30 app wouldn't be needed. I'm not even sure the $30 app would work with the Sling adapter. I'd hate to spend the $30 and it not work.
Yes. $30 is ginormously ridunculous for a mobile app in this day and age.

But, you don't need it, if all you have is a Dish Sling Adapter. The $30 SlingPlayer app is for use with a standalone Slingbox. The FREE Dish Remote Access app is the one to use with a Dish Sling Adapter. FWIW, DRA generally works ok for me on my Android ICS devices. I can't speak for iOS, as I ditched my iPhone 3G last year.

The web version of Dish Online is one big suckfest, with the web version of Dish Remote Access being somewhat better. Ironically, and typical of Dish, they try to steer people away from the more reliable Dish Remote to the craptacular DishOnline. This is the exactly the kind of dumb decisions they so often make at Dish, which fuels the complaints we see in these forums.

So everyone that seems to imply that Dish has made it worse is completely off base if they expected the licensing agreements to magically change to allow Netflix style streaming.
Nobody implied they made the streaming worse. They pointed out that Dish did not improve VOD content or implimentation with the BB brand change, but merely changed the name.

GaryPen said:
Nobody implied they made the streaming worse. They pointed out that Dish did not improve VOD content or implimentation with the BB brand change, but merely changed the name.

How can they improve VOD contents if all of BB's licenses were only for pay per viewing content? Or am I incorrect in thinking that everyone is unhappy with the FREE streaming options included with the BB@Home package?

Please enlighten us. I have the Sling Adapter..

You reinforced my statement, I don't mean that in a rude way. You have a Sling Adapter, not a Slingbox. Dishonline and use of the Adapter is horrid, and it is ridiculous.. Lets make that clear. But Dish offers a system that does rings around anything the Adapter can do with use of the Slingbox. There are two models the least expensive around $130 and the other arout $240, but both can be had for less used or refurbished and there is an intermediate one that they no longer make but is available that is close to the top end one, with no digital tuner. The computer "App" is free and works flawlessly. Anything you can do at home with a Dish receiver you can do remotely. Not to mention it can support security cameras, or radio receivers, most any device with video or audio. There is an actual Digital Dish remote just like the one you would have.
The higher end one has an additional OTA tuner, and the computer APP can pause live TV. There is much more including a channel guide. It does not disable any tuner, but whatever the slingbox is watching from the Dish receiver you have to be watching at home if you are there also, on that one tuner. Other tuners are not affected.If you use the built in Tuner it has no affect on the Dish receiver. I have a dedicated older desktop connected to my 55" TV in Ct. where I can watch Florida local channels, via OTA directly from the Slingbox,(Or I could use the Dish receiver) or check my security cameras, etc....

The APP for smartphones etc... costs $30. I don't care what a few say it is worth every penny. I use it all the time to watch parts of games when I am not home, check my security cameras, set timers, etc etc...... You get what you pay for.
I would never go the adapter route, at least alone even for free. It's a scaled down version of the Slingbox system. By the way, it uses your own router without going to the internet if you watch a TV from your house while you are in your house. Often when I am on the back deck for awhile I take my laptop and watch something.

Last edited:
How can they improve VOD contents if all of BB's licenses were only for pay per viewing content? Or am I incorrect in thinking that everyone is unhappy with the FREE streaming options included with the BB@Home package?
I think people were expecting an improvement to Platinum VOD with add'l titles added thru streaming contracts between BB and content providers, a la Netflix and Amazon VOD.

But, all Dish did was change the name VOD from Platinum to BB@H. So, the VOD part of BB@H ended up being a disappointment.

Overall, though, I think most will agree that BB@H does provide some increased value, as one now gets that same VOD and channel package PLUS disc-by-mail, for the same price as the old Platinum Pack. But, the way Dish marketed it, plus the way it realistically could be awesome, but isn't, has left some people disappointed. And, rightfully so.

As the OP was trying to say, Dish has so much potential. Such great ideas. They come close so often. They look so great out of the starting block. They just rarely come in first, and often don't even bother to cross the finish line.

GaryPen said:
I think people were expecting an improvement to Platinum VOD with add'l titles added thru streaming contracts between BB and content providers, a la Netflix and Amazon VOD.

But, all Dish did was change the name VOD from Platinum to BB@H. So, the VOD part of BB@H ended up being a disappointment.

Overall, though, I think most will agree that BB@H does provide some increased value, as one now gets that same VOD and channel package PLUS disc-by-mail, for the same price as the old Platinum Pack. But, the way Dish marketed it, plus the way it realistically could be awesome, but isn't, has left some people disappointed. And, rightfully so.

As the OP was trying to say, Dish has so much potential. Such great ideas. They come close so often. They look so great out of the starting block. They just rarely come in first, and often don't even bother to cross the finish line.

It would be great if they did that, but it would be completely unrelated to the BB acquisition. It would be Dish acquiring the streaming rights to new content by entering into new agreements with the content owners.

I honestly can't say that I expect Dish to do this. It has the potential to cannibalize their PPV/VOD/ and premium movie channel revenue too much. It's much safer for them to limit the free streaming content to that which is tied to what subs already pay for (platinum channels).

I think it much more likely that Dish implements apps for HBO GO and such before striking deals for new free content for streaming subs. Maybe if they did it for subs that signed up for special streaming content for a monthly fee (a la Netflix). But even then, I'm not sure the risk reward ratio lines up in a way to make it worthwhile for Dish.

Wow this thread exploded since my last take. Without reading every post, what did I miss?

I would never go the adapter route, at least alone even for free.

But you're missing the point, which is that something is broken. Like so much of Dish's other software. And there's no excuse for it. Dish shouldn't be sending out broken code to paying customers, and if they accidentally and occasionally do, they should fix it. But half the time, they don't even do that.

They look so great out of the starting block. They just rarely come in first, and often don't even bother to cross the finish line.
Great analogy, and sums up the OP's intent of this thread succinctly. In the case of Sling and BB@home, they were the only ones in the race, so there was not much incentive to finish, aside from getting the branding and minimal added value. :(

But you're missing the point, which is that something is broken. Like so much of Dish's other software. And there's no excuse for it. Dish shouldn't be sending out broken code to paying customers, and if they accidentally and occasionally do, they should fix it. But half the time, they don't even do that.

I think you (not just you) are not reading my post.
Dishonline and use of the Adapter is horrid, and it is ridiculous. Lets make that clear.

1. Even if it did work correctly it's a fraction as good as the Slingbox system.
2. You can wallow and be mad, write posts, OR you can just decide you really want those features and do something you have control over and ride off into the sunset happy, or happier, or as happy as some can be.

No kidding they should fix it. They have not and I don't see anything that says they will. So you can go to another carrier whose online works better (probably any other) or stay with Dish who you may feel otherwise is providing what you want overall, and hope they eventually fix it, or take other action, namely get a Slingbox and move on.

Last edited: