Dish & The Big4

GuyWhoMoves

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 9, 2021
Las Vegas
Thanks to everyone who replied to not getting the Big4 (Abc, Cbs, Fox & Nbc) apparently even if you should get them sometimes you just wont. Some have suggest OTA, well I have a separate antenna and not much thats any good. So, do I have any other options, Directv is out since I just left them. When I get to Casa Grande, AZ and will be there for 6 months I will really want those station, looking for options.

This might work.... Just checked on AZ map. Casa Grande is only 48 miles from Phoenix. I assume Casa Grande residents get locals from Phoenix.
After you temporarily move to Casa Grande (and you have your laptop and unlimited Internet service), you can check (you need to register for free service) Locast.. You can watch those 4 stations from Phoenix area on laptop screen or on tv if you connect the laptop to tv via hdmi cable.
Locast is available in 36 cities. When you register they probably check the address or zip code. I don't know the requirements. They might say Casa Grande is too far!! who knows? I know some forum members use locast.

Yes Locast will give you the Phoenix locals in Casa Grande...I set my GPS location there and have Phoenix locals working fine
Are you at an RV camping area? If you are not located in , let's say in Arizona close to Phoenix, how does that work? Changing the vpn server if you are using any?
Let's assume you are originally from NY, and living somewhere else. You want to stream local news from NY city. How do you accomplish that? When I tried it, it failed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Are you at an RV camping area? If you are not located in , let's say in Arizona close to Phoenix, how does that work? Changing the vpn server if you are using any?
Let's assume you are originally from NY, and living somewhere else. You want to stream local news from NY city. How do you accomplish that? When I tried it, it failed.
Without going into detail, if there were an easy way to tell a browser (let's use Chrome as an example) to assume a given location, purely for testing purpose (you ARE a developer, right?), one could then use that browser. No VPN needed.

Reactions: TheKrell
Without going into detail, if there were an easy way to tell a browser (let's use Chrome as an example) to assume a given location, purely for testing purpose (you ARE a developer, right?), one could then use that browser. No VPN needed.
We stay at a RV Park in Casa Grande for about 7 months. We use a wireless router and I do not think there is a VPN involved when connecting to the Hopper. When using a browser it is connecting thru the VPN. I believe local channels are using a spot beam and connecting to New York if you where over the mileage limit. I am not a Developer, just someone new to Dish, dumped Directv, who is trying to get the Big4 to work. Yes Directv sells west coast and east channels (DNS) however these are not on a spot beam.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We stay at a RV Park in Casa Grande for about 7 months. We use a wireless router and I do not think there is a VPN involved when connecting to the Hopper. When using a browser it is connecting thru the VPN. I believe local channels are using a spot beam and connecting to New York if you where over the mileage limit. I am not a Developer, just someone new to Dish, dumped Directv, who is trying to get the Big4 to work. Yes Directv sells west coast and east channels (DNS) however these are not on a spot beam.
Locast works off of the GPS location of the internet you are using..VPN's can cause problems with the location showing different than where you are actually at..The city you stated is in the Phoenix market so you don't really want a VPN to change your location...Do you have a Dish Outdoors account or just a fixed location account? You should be able to use the mydish app and get the locals with manage locals in the app if you have a Dish Outdoors account

Locast works off of the GPS location of the internet you are using..VPN's can cause problems with the location showing different than where you are actually at..The city you stated is in the Phoenix market so you don't really want a VPN to change your location...Do you have a Dish Outdoors account or just a fixed location account? You should be able to use the mydish app and get the locals with manage locals in the app if you have a Dish Outdoors account
Dish Outdoors and yes I know how to change my location and it does not work. Still do not get the Big4. We also have Apple TV, Dish gives me the ability to record programs. As far as I know the Hopper does not get any VPN, because VPN goes thru the browser.

Dish Outdoors and yes I know how to change my location and it does not work. Still do not get the Big4. We also have Apple TV, Dish gives me the ability to record programs. As far as I know the Hopper does not get any VPN, because VPN goes thru the browser.
You need to get ahold of a US based CSR and fix the problem with the locals..I don't remember ever seeing anyone that has locals with Dish Outdoors not being able to change locations successfully..The locast app on the hopper will use the market of your last service address no matter where you are located but the app itself not using the hopper goes by GPS location

Is your issue just with the SF area locals or have you had this issue everywhere you park.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts