DISH TO BUILD BROADBAND NETWORK

Planning & actually following through are 2 different things, time will tell.

Hughes Net Gen 4 is supposed to roll out in Sept or Oct. That is owned by E* so is this what is being referred to in the article w/o using the name Hughes Net?

CNET had an article saying that the max download speed would be 15 MBS and initially only 5 MBS. This may be better than nothing, but it is nothing special. It might attract Charlie’s ‘farm and ranch’ market that have no other choice, but I don’t see any reason for someone with FIOS or high speed cable to switch.

CNET had an article saying that the max download speed would be 15 MBS and initially only 5 MBS. This may be better than nothing, but it is nothing special. It might attract Charlie’s ‘farm and ranch’ market that have no other choice, but I don’t see any reason for someone with FIOS or high speed cable to switch.
I think it would be huge for Dish itself, as being able to offer this service makes it harder for the competition to turn off the broadband tap for Dish streaming.

But certainly anything they offer won't be anywhere near unlimited. Couple of gigs a month limit if we're lucky.
Would there be a need for limits? Doesn't AT&T suffer more from the fact they have 1g, 2g clogging their networks? I thought the limitations were due to that, and that Dish wouldn't have as much of an issue, going with an LTE-advanced network only.

Besides, I'd figure Dish would allow unlimited streaming for Dish customers anyways.

FCC decided on full review to avoid getting sued by other parties. They got burned in the past with waivers and learned their lesson.
If they had granted a waiver, the resulting lawsuit by wireless competitors could have tied up the spectrum for a decade or so which would really make Charlie squeal.

Aren't we talking about two different things here? I thought the satellite broadband the OP was referring to is different from the LTE initiative,or am I missing something?

15 megs down and 5 megs up is special for rural America.

Since it was my post, you are right. The headline was about Broadband for rural customers and maybe more. The conversation as drifted to wireless cell phones. Different spectrums

It will be a niche product for under served areas where faster and cheaper options are not available.

In a report elsewhere it was reported that for the first time ever telephone companies providing DSL service lost subscribers while cable was still gaining because cable companies offer higher speeds at very competitive prices.

The Virgin Islands is considered a rural market by the FCC. No internet over cable, phone company provides DSL service primarily at 256Kbs or 512Kbps. The ISP I use provides 5MB/s service for $99 per month for a wirelessly provided service.

In under served markets there are opportunities for a satellite delivered service. In a competitive market with a cable company it will be tough for satellite service to compete given the latency and caps that satellite providers always seem to have.

This service would be great for my folks. They live just outside the city limits by a mile and have no access to Cable or DSL. I have
them setup with a Sprint 4G Mobile Hotspot. My mistake was thinking Sprint was going to be faster in deploying 4G. The service
is still around $60.00. Since they already have Dish, I can see this being a welcomed alternative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)