Dish To Carry Cricket World Cup

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060308/1237643.html?.v=1

EchoStar Satellite LLC has acquired the rights to distribute the International Cricket Council Cricket World Cup 2007 on television, radio, broadband and internet from the Global Cricket Corp.
The deal for exclusive distribution in Canada, Mexico, Central and South America and Dutch Antilles also includes non-exclusive television rights and exclusive radio, broadband and Internet distribution in the United States.

As part of the agreement, Echostar has acquired the rights to the ICC Champions Trophy 2006.

Echostar Satellite LLC is a subsidiary of Englewood-based EchoStar Communications Corp. (NASDAQ: DISH - News) and is a provider of advanced digital television services

Wow, what great news! Will carry the Cricket games but won't carry the Yankees! Now whats wrong with this picture? Come on Charlie Cricket get us the Yes channel for a 10th anniversay present.

uhlesses said:
Wow, what great news! Will carry the Cricket games but won't carry the Yankees! Now whats wrong with this picture? Come on Charlie Cricket get us the Yes channel for a 10th anniversay present.

Dish charges cricket fans up the wazoo for this PPV event. The 2003 Cricket World Cup, for example, cost $300 for all the matches (54 or so) from South Africa. The 2007 World Cup will cost as much or more.

I think most of the problems with Yes network (and other such networks) and Cable/Sat providers arise from the fact that Yes expects them to be added in the general availability packs, like AT180, etc., and not charge extra for it. The Cable/Sat providers would like offer them as ala carte services if they've the bandwidth. And then they negotiate endlessly from there...

The paltry cricket coverage available on PPV is in no way is a blocking factor for Dish carrying the Yes network.

E* has a long history of cricket coverage.

I remember Charlie discussing cricket on a Charlie Chat probably eight years ago. It was right after they first offered cricket.

He said that they got about ten times more requests and subscriptions to the cricket package than they even remotely figured they might get.

BTW ... is cricket ever shown on a non-PPV? I'd be interested in watching just a bit to figure out what is going on ...

I know a friend of mine that will be very happy.

Funney thing about cricket is that the type of customers who subscribe to this package are more likely to illegally stack their account and share the subscription with a friend or other family member.

Its gotten so bad, Dish will only authorize 1 receiver for cricket if you have multiple receivers on your account.

BTW ... is cricket ever shown on a non-PPV? I'd be interested in watching just a bit to figure out what is going on ...

Check in on channel 457. They were showing a lot of cricket last night for free. Tommorow (friday 3/9) they will be showing some more starting at 8:45am.

Funney thing about cricket is that the type of customers who subscribe to this package are more likely to illegally stack their account and share the subscription with a friend or other family member.

Its gotten so bad, Dish will only authorize 1 receiver for cricket if you have multiple receivers on your account.

I hate those people. Because of them I am stuck having to watch the games on one TV rather than all of my receivers. I still wish Dish would make exceptions for long time customers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)