Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- ESPN and DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) have reached an agreement for DISH to carry Longhorn Network (LHN), the 24/7 channel devoted to the University of Texas, within the state of Texas and nationwide. The deal is part of a larger announcement made by DISH and the Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS).

The channel will be available to DISH customers in the America's Top 120+ and higher packages nationwide later this summer. In addition, DISH customers who receive LHN as part of their satellite service will be able to enjoy the network's exclusive live events and content on their computers and iOS devices - at home or on-the-go.

"DISH is the best place for college sports fans to follow the teams they love," said Dave Shull, DISH executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "ESPN has a long tradition of delivering the best in sports, and we are proud to be the first nationwide television provider of the Longhorn Network."

LHN launched in 2011 and televises more than 175 athletic events in 20 sports annually, as well as academic and cultural programming from in and around the greater Austin community. DISH customers have access to exclusive Longhorn games, Texas coaches' shows, dedicated pre- and post-game football coverage, basketball and baseball games, nightly news/information programming, in-depth features and all-access content and programs covering the history and pride of Texas athletics.

"We are excited to have DISH join the growing list of LHN providers," said University of Texas Men's Athletics Director Steve Patterson. "UT fans nationwide will now have access to this award-winning network that does such a great job in covering our university's sports and academics programs. As we have said from day one, this is a long-term commitment and we are very proud of our partnership with ESPN."

"This agreement with DISH presents a tremendous opportunity to bring Longhorn Network's robust content offerings to Texas fans across the country," said ESPN's Justin Connolly, senior vice president, college networks.

The deal between ESPN and DISH more than doubles LHN's national distribution. Details on LHN's channel number will be available on www.dish.com at a later date. Financial terms and other details of the agreement were not disclosed.

"The channel will be available to DISH customers in the America's Top 120+ and higher packages nationwide later this summer"

So everyone who has 120+ will get it, not just those in Texas or those with multisport pack?

I guess we can expect another price bump...Somebody's got to pay.
I have no interest in this service. If Dish is going to spread the cost around to all customers, that is not right.

"The channel will be available to DISH customers in the America's Top 120+ and higher packages nationwide later this summer" So everyone who has 120+ will get it, not just those in Texas or those with multisport pack?

That's awful. That means that all subs will be subsidizing what should, at best, be a regional RSN. Can't wait until other schools decide the conference channel model is crap and decide they need their own channels! Talk about sports prices going through the roof...

"The channel will be available to DISH customers in the America's Top 120+ and higher packages nationwide later this summer" So everyone who has 120+ will get it, not just those in Texas or those with multisport pack?

Looks like the same with SEC, which is different then the set up with Big 10 and PAC 12

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I am also surprised that they are adding it "later this summer." Since the SEC Network hasn't launched yet, they need to say it for that, but since Longhorn Network is currently on the air, I would have thought it would be added ASAP.

I am also surprised that they are adding it "later this summer." Since the SEC Network hasn't launched yet, they need to say it for that, but since Longhorn Network is currently on the air, I would have thought it would be added ASAP.

Likely no big rush until football season. Who REALLY wants to watch Longhorn Olympic sports?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's awful. That means that all subs will be subsidizing what should, at best, be a regional RSN. Can't wait until other schools decide the conference channel model is crap and decide they need their own channels! Talk about sports prices going through the roof...

Yes, bad precedent. Not just the tier debate, but any ONE channel dedicated to ONE school is ridiculous. No wonder Nebraska and Colorado got fed up with UT antics and left the conference. Dish should not be subsidizing this nonsense.

Yes, bad precedent. Not just the tier debate, but any ONE channel dedicated to ONE school is ridiculous. No wonder Nebraska and Colorado got fed up with UT antics and left the conference. Dish should not be subsidizing this nonsense.

That's also one of the reasons Texas A&M left the Big12 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've been here over 6 years, and you use ASAP with DISH? :eek:

They need to make room. :)

This is the reason for the upgrades currently going on for legacy non 8PSK receivers. :)

I have a great idea to make more room.Drop WWE ppvs check,cut TNA to SD only,check,be done with AAD,check,and one they haven't done yet,get rid of some of those dang ppv movie channels!!

You've been here over 6 years, and you use ASAP with DISH? :eek:

Haha, I guess I had that coming. I was thinking the SD channel would be put up right away. I remember for MLB network that it was launched right in prime time when the deal was announced.

They need to make room. :)

This is the reason for the upgrades currently going on for legacy non 8PSK receivers. :)

I was wondering if the timing of all of this was related to those receiver upgrades. Any idea how much bandwidth Dish will "reclaim" by doing this?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I was wondering if the timing of all of this was related to those receiver upgrades. Any idea how much bandwidth Dish will "reclaim" by doing this?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That's a good question.The problem is they didn't upgrade all of them.They left out the 27/28/3700 38/3900 47/4900 models.Lot of customers around this area still have those receivers.