Dish To FCC: Let Us In!

I believe there is a market for national HD. E* has all the SD market covered right now. There is still many markets without HD. I am in one of them. I refused to pay the highway robbery prices of AAD for HD. AAD wants $18.99 a month for each east and west set of networks( $37.98 for both). I would pay E* a more resonable price for east/west network HD. I currently pay AAD $14.99 for east/west SD. If E* offered the east/west HD for that price , I would switch in a second.

The RV market has a bunch of old folks that "vote" and communicate with their represenatives. Stir them up and somebody will listen. Being one of them I can attest to this.

I guess if dish get their wish and screws us out the nets there is always the Canadian services.

+1

I believe there is a market for national HD. E* has all the SD market covered right now. There is still many markets without HD. I am in one of them. I refused to pay the highway robbery prices of AAD for HD. AAD wants $18.99 a month for each east and west set of networks( $37.98 for both). I would pay E* a more resonable price for east/west network HD. I currently pay AAD $14.99 for east/west SD. If E* offered the east/west HD for that price , I would switch in a second.

I understand that. See if you can "move".

Thanks for the move advice. It is just not good for me. I want my local channels to see local news and sports. I really cannot get any local channel OTA and am totally dependent on E* to get any locals.

I just like having the ability to watch things 3 hours later. I am on the east coast and get the west coast feeds from AAD. 3 of 4 approved me, ABC did not and I honestly don't watch much ABC programming because of it. I wish they would put the Superstations in HD.

A provider CANNOT provide distants in a local market that they provide local service to unless the market is not served by a local network. Since Dish now provides locals in every market (at least on paper), they cannot provide distants except to fill in for a missing station.

AAD can provide distants everywhere that qualifies since they do not provide local channels anywhere.

Mike is that true even with waivers or is the waiver process no longer available? As I mentioned previously I used to have waivers through Dish for 3 of my local networks (even though they were provided via dish) but something very well may have changed since then.

Mike is that true even with waivers or is the waiver process no longer available? As I mentioned previously I used to have waivers through Dish for 3 of my local networks (even though they were provided via dish) but something very well may have changed since then.

If a provider provides locals in the area they cannot provide distants even with waivers (unless there is no local station for that network then they can bring in a distant). Waivers are really only good for markets where the provider does not provide locals, and you technically are in the area covered by an OTA station (even if you cannot receive it). Since Dish has all markets, they can no longer offer distants even with waivers.

This is the real reason they are going to let Dish carry distants again, because they (i.e. the national broadcasters) know Dish will only be able to fill short markets and they do not have the mess they had before where Dish was incorrectly letting people have distants.

The RV market has a bunch of old folks that "vote" and communicate with their represenatives. Stir them up and somebody will listen. Being one of them I can attest to this.
Not only are there a bunch of old folks RVers, there is a bunch of truckers who use DNS as well.

So for the people who dis us as being a trivial group, we represent a very good market for E*. And since D* has decided to use different band LNBFs for HD which made roof mounted RV dishes useless, a growing market for E*.

We use DNS because it is the only way we can get broadcast channels, not a way to get around rules.

I see. So when did this change?

It was part of the new law that lets Dish apply to be able to serve distants again. Dish as you know was locked out of selling distants under the old law since they violated the terms and were selling distants to those that did not qualify. As part of the new law Dish can apply to be reinstated. To be reinstated Dish had to carry every market. So, Dish now carries every market (at least on paper, not every station has a deal yet), but since they now serve every market they have no unserved markets to bring distants to.

Dish could still do the RV market if they decided it was lucrative enough, but when you look at the numbers, it will probably not happen. The RVers also have the option of using an antenna to get local channels wherever they may be. So, the only thing left they can use the distants license for is to provide fill in stations in markets without the big 4. It hurts them bad when DIRECTV/cable can offer all 4 and they cannot, that is why they did the whole AAD thing. AAD could offer networks that were missing from Dish.

With distants there is no limit as to where the provider can get the distant station from, with the exception of time zones (i.e. they cannot give you an east coast station on the west coast). So, Dish can simply fill out a market by providing a missing station(s) from a nearby market that is on your spot beam.

(C) FUTURE APPLICABILITY.—

(i) WHEN LOCAL SIGNAL AVAILABLE AT TIME OF SUBSCRIPTION.—The statutory license under paragraph (2) shall not apply to the secondary transmission by a satellite carrier of the primary transmission of a network station to a person who is not a subscriber lawfully receiving such secondary transmission as of the date of the enactment of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 and, at the time such person seeks to subscribe to receive such secondary transmission, resides in a local market where the satellite carrier makes available to that person the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a local network station affiliated with the same network pursuant to the statutory license under section 122.

(ii) WHEN LOCAL SIGNAL AVAILABLE AFTER SUBSCRIPTION.—In the case of a subscriber who lawfully subscribes to and receives the secondary transmission by a satellite carrier of the primary transmission of a network station under the statutory license under paragraph (2) (in this clause referred to as the ‘distant signal’) on or after the date of the enactment of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010, the statutory license under paragraph (2) shall apply to secondary transmissions by that satellite carrier to that subscriber of the distant signal of a station affiliated with the same television network, and the subscriber’s household shall continue to be considered to be an unserved household with respect to such network, until such time as the subscriber elects to terminate such secondary transmissions, but only if such subscriber subscribes to the secondary transmission of the primary transmission of a local network station affiliated with the same network within 60 days after the satellite carrier makes available to the subscriber such secondary transmission of the primary transmission of such local network station.​
This is the applicable piece of the law; the only real change is that in 2005 this was only directed at analog retransmissions and it is now updated to be any retransmission.

For Dish Network, as they now serve local channels pretty much nationwide, any subscriber that has local channels available to them CANNOT have distants unless they are missing a network from their local channel package. At that point the subscriber can have a missing distant network, but the qualification process is still the same.

So they blew it again in Washington. They are technology ignorant. If a market gets SD but not HD, it is getting a lesser service than the rest of the nation who get both for the locals fee. We pay the same price, though, for this lesser service. I hope E* loses their battle to be required to have PBS in HD in all markets by end 2011. At least I will get 1 local HD channel. E* says they have given more than 90% of the nation local HD. That might be total people. They have a lot less coverage if one talks % of DMAs without hd locals. I counted 62 DMAs without hd locals. That is closer to 25% without coverage.

They could pull the contract from all American direct and there would be very little bitching from customers, as most of them have lost distant networks anyways

The customers getting them in areas where dish does not provide locals, can now get locals

They are loosing more customers over this Disney dispute than they would rv customers who list their distants

Get the transponders back and give us more Hd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts