Dish to Launch DISH Earth Channel

if you want ot see something cool record 24 hours of Dish earth then play it back at 300x for a timelapse day
You can check out my 2-3/4 hour video earlier (post #105) in the thread. I'll set up a timer for tomorrow afternoon to see if I can catch the moon transit the Earth.

I caught the Moon orbiting the earth was really cool....Wonder when they launch the space shuttle if it can be viewed by the camera...it would be awesome to see that from space!

I think one of the Dish press releases mentioned the resolution of the image at something around 20km/pixel. While the ISS has gotten bigger in the last few years, it's at most 1% of a pixel. Same issue with a shuttle launch: it's just not big enough.

I caught the Moon orbiting the earth was really cool....Wonder when they launch the space shuttle if it can be viewed by the camera...it would be awesome to see that from space!
It would be even funnier if one of the astronauts pointed out the moon.:p:eek::D

You guys seem to forget that this image is taken from 22,300 miles up. The space station is orbiting at about 200 miles up. Essentially you are wanting to see something equivilant to a large building on the Earth's surface. :) Also the brightness differential between the earth shine and the reflected light of the ISS makes it impossible to even see a pin-point of light.

See ya
Tony

The picture changes every 15 seconds. The resolution being sent from the satellite is 720 x 486 pixel NTSC.

BTW today you can give your friends the world for FREE. Check out Give The World

earthday.png

I signed up for this but got nothing, until the mother's day spam I received yesterday. Did anybody get their free photo?

Hi I haven't been here in a while.I just discovered this channel.I've been watching for 30 minutes of what looks like the earth being eclipsed.How often do they update the pictures?Is this a temporary channel or is it here to stay?

Speaking of eclipses, I wonder how much of the July 21st/22nd solar eclipse will be visible from Echostar 11? I'll have to set up a timer for the event.
SE2009Jul22T.GIF

Take a look at it now. We're at maximum eclipse (02:35 UTC) and you can just make out a divot in the Earth's limb. I'll try to get a video after tonight.

Attachments

• P7210037.jpg
    P7210037.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 151
It would've been so nice if they could've come up with something with decent gain control.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any cosmic ray hits yet. I'm anxious to see what it looks like during a solar proton storm, if we ever get another one of those.

Quick update: The moon's shadow was visible, even though the camera pushed the exposure so much all you could really see was the umbra. Right around 00:05:00 EDT the area of totality became visible, then moves over 15 minutes until it disappears in the terminator. Pretty cool to see celestial mechanics in action.

I gotta get to bed; otherwise I'd post the pictures.

Okay, the heck with sleep, here are the fuzzy pictures. I underexposed them so I can try playing with the balance tomorrow...

Attachments

• P7220044.jpg
    P7220044.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 142
  • P7220040.jpg
    P7220040.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 147
  • P7220041.jpg
    P7220041.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 159
  • P7220043.jpg
    P7220043.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
I figured out the best way to get the image into my system: I hooked up my DVD recorder to the S-Video out on my ViP622 (didn't have that option on my old 942!) and burned a DVD at the highest mode. Then, I read that in using StreamClip on my Mac and made an image sequence to reduce the number of frames. I then used QuickTime to read those images in, but now it's 60fps instead of 1 frame every 15 seconds. I also reduced the brightness and tweaked the contrast so it isn't all washed out.

Attachments

• 2009EclipseTimeLapse.mov
    1.9 MB · Views: 151

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts