Dish to Launch DISH Earth Channel

I listened long enough, it's the Sirius-XM Pops channel.

Cool !

:music
Pops? It has been classical music every time I've switched to 212.

I think you can see the moon right now, in the upper left just above the Earth. Looks too close to be another planet, guess it could be another sat or a parked UFO.

Pops? It has been classical music every time I've switched to 212.

I think you can see the moon right now, in the upper left just above the Earth. Looks too close to be another planet, guess it could be another sat or a parked UFO.

Yup it's Sirius XM Pops, just verified it on my XM Radio.
SIRIUS 79/XM 77 - Sirius XM Pops features classical music's greatest hits played and sung by top orchestras, ensembles and soloists. Sirius Pops is classical music you already know.

Could someone put up a quick video or pic of this channel Please. I really want to see it. Thanks so much!

Josh

Go to that givetheworld site or whatever the link was earlier in the thread. In the about section they have animated graphics of what it looks like.

I recorded 2-1/2 hours starting at 02:30 EDT and it looks like the channel dropped out around 02:50 EDT, then came back at 03:11 EDT. However, the sun is clearly not going behind the Earth from this location, so I guess the good news is Echostar 11 doesn't need its batteries!

Attachments

• EarthWatch.mov
    7.1 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I am very drawn to this channel! It is interactive, too, which my kids call "stretch Earth." They flip it back and forth from normal to stretch and think it's hilarious.

Am I really paying for this, or is Charlie providing us this magnificent channel from his largess? On the other hand, could he be getting an energy credit from the EPA for showing us how the Earth is warming up?

P.S. E.T. call home!!!

I'm going to have to get my Hava going for viewing from work. Whenever I'm home and check this channel, all I see is glare from the sunny side and nothing on the dark side, very much like what you see in post #93.

It probably cost so little to put this on the satellite that he thought "why not". It is a drop in the bucket for him and his gift to us. Would be a good channel to perhaps DVR and go fast forward on to see the clouds move over a period of time.

What a waste of a channel..No wonder this company is losing subs like crazy..Sheesh!!

I think it's kind of cool and like it.
All it cost subs is the cost of the camera and the box it is sitting in, so spread out between 13+ million customers, it really didn't cost you a thing. Sheesh!

Or maybe some Pink Floyd.
...Dark Side of the Earth, anyone? :D

Actually, I was thinking of this program I used to listen to on my local public radio station evey Sunday morning. It was "Music from the Hearts of Space" and a quick Google shows they are still in business (http://www.hos.com). Although Dish could probably use CD977 or Sirius/XM "Chill" 6035...

Looks like they have changed the music channel today. Just as you asked! :)

It's now "The Bridge", a soft-rock channel.

I don't know... When I tuned in to channel 212 for the first time "The Blue Danube" was playing and I thought it was perfectly apropos! :) Of course, Stanley Kubrik's vision of 2001 had a little to do with that.

When i tuned to the channel today and heard Steely Dan's "Black Cow" playing, it didn't quite fit. Then when it was followed by "Me and My Arrow", all I could think of was the commercial for the lousy Plymouth Arrow!

See ya
Tony

Of course, Stanley Kubrik's vision of 2001 had a little to do with that.
Continuing with the OT posts... It's depressing to see how little of Kubrik's (or should we say Clarke's) vision actually came true by 2001. Today we can baredly get a few people into low earth orbit, much less back to the moon or out to Jupiter. Space tourism? Ha! Cryogenic suspension? Nope. Centrifugal force used for artificial gravity? Never even tested once! Sentient computers? Not even close.

OK, back on topic with a question. Has anybody checked 212 to see if it's FTA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)