Dish to support DLNA? View dish recording from PS3 and others?

alleng

Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
I saw in the pictures from the Dish booth a sign about dish supporting DLNA.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=21118&d=1199722938

Home - DLNA DLNA website (list of supported devices)

If someone there can get them to answer some questions.

Does it work in the client (watch videos from other devices), server (let other devices play dish recordings), or both (The Holy Grail!).

I have not seen any more information than this sign.

It would be nice to watch dish recordings from my PS3 or other exteneders. It would also be great to be able to play my downloaded videos (like podcasts) on the dish!!!

Anyone heard anything? A Date? Firmware update?

This

Would be awsome:)

Would it require a fee though?

Since if you have a PS3, and you are able to save what you download from other devices to the PS3's HDD, and transfer to other devices (From PS3) wouldn't this make the External HDD Obsolete to some users?

I don't think that is what Dish is planning. Sounds to me like they will enable streaming of content over a home network but not transfer of content, kind of like what the Slingcatcher would do. There would have to be some sort of flag that would prevent recording, otherwise I can't imagine Dish would sign on to the program. It would be great if ViP series receivers could send and receive to one another across a home network, but somehow I don't think they will.

If they get this working over the Homeplug thing that would be pretty big.

To be able to hook up an HD TV whereever there's an electrical plug would solve a lot of problems

I would hope that they would allow us with a sling box to hook to our ethernet router and if all your receivers are hooked up by ethernet , you could share shows from any box in perfect hd quality.

I hope the Slingcatcher is similarly DLNA enabled. That would make it even more of a must-have gadget! It would eliminate the need for the RF modulator on TV2 for the 622/722, with a much better picture.

Basically you can already stream video and audio files from your PC to your PS3 via DLNA. I suppose what they are getting at here is some way to stream recorded content to your PS3. This would be an amazing feature.

Not only recorded content but live content from your satellite tuners. This would be a cool feature to be sure, but how in the world are they going to sneak it past the DRM goalies?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)