Dish to unveil 4k?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wouldn't it be better if they just sent 1080p uncompressed?
Most customers would be able to take full advantage now (save those who are using component connections).

1080p doesn't offer HDR or WCG but I would imagine that heavily compressed UHD won't either.

Here is a question, what is "HD"? What is "4k"? Do these things have actual meanings in the world of Cable and Sat? Could Dish just up the HD quality to near true and call it 4k?

It seems odd that a service can sell based on the number of lines of data they are transmitting, but then completely bonker up the quality of those lines, just to be able to squeeze them all in? If a signal is compressed, are you really even receiving 720p, 1080i physically? It is like a photo studio crumpling up a photo and sending it to you to uncrumple at home. You still have the 8x10, but it isn't quite the same. What exactly is being lost in translation from compression to uncompression?

Reactions: Stargazer
It is like a photo studio crumpling up a photo and sending it to you to uncrumple at home. You still have the 8x10, but it isn't quite the same. What exactly is being lost in translation from compression to uncompression?
That's a very good analogy. HD and 4K are resolution definitions, not quality definitions. Heck, you could send 1080 lines of "snow" and call that HD.

That's a very good analogy. HD and 4K are resolution definitions, not quality definitions. Heck, you could send 1080 lines of "snow" and call that HD.
With the advent of 4K, it seems like there is much more to the signal than just resolution, such as HDR. Almost making the picture a 3-D code from pixel to pixel.

Is it too early to start demanding Dish drop the needless HD feeds of all the channels in order to make room for the 4k? You mean in 4K right?
i have to agree with you on that point dish needs to have alll the channels that have hd feeds added. i know people will talk about 4k next month at CES.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Get ready because in time there will be the same posts with 4K inserted for HD...........
guys there are only a handful of 4k channels so far we should have all the channels that have hd feeds that are not added on dish network first before talking about 4k.

There were specific UHF and VHF converter boxes? I don't remember that.
When UHF started, few TVs had the tuner for UHF so a converter box, about $15 ($150 in today's dollars) was purchased to receive UHF and forward it to the TV on a VHF channel. This was the 1950's. Yes I am that old.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)