Dish to unveil 4k?

When UHF started, few TVs had the tuner for UHF so a converter box, about $15 ($150 in today's dollars) was purchased to receive UHF and forward it to the TV on a VHF channel. This was the 1950's. Yes I am that old.
Oh. I thought you were talking about when the digital conversion boxes came out.

Ok

Im one of those people who have both Dish and Direct.
Dish equipment still my favorite all around system.
My favorite is being able to connect my Bose Headphones via blu tooth.

But Im baffled that Dish has yet to showcase 4k..

Direct seems ahead though slightly with 4K
Strange since Dish is the hardware/system leader.

So Im curious when Dish will roll out 4k?
Wonder what they are waiting for.

Im not counting Netflix on dish as 4k....

Why in the world would you pay for both?

HD and 4K are resolution definitions, not quality definitions.
What the TV manufacturing industry is calling 4K (4 kilopixels) isn't really 4K at all. That's why they originally agreed to call it UHD-1. It is anybody's guess why they have gone back on that decision.

4K originally meant either 4096x2160 or 4096x1716 (for Cinemascope) and I suspect that it is that difference that has limited the amount of UHD content in today's marketplace to mostly content that was shot in UHD rather than true 4K.

You can bet that the OAR crowd will be up-in-arms about cramming 4096 pixel columns into 3180 with all of the interpolation that entails.

guys there are only a handful of 4k channels so far we should have all the channels that have hd feeds that are not added on dish network first before talking about 4k.
The term "handful" is awfully generous. I submit that there aren't really any UHD channels but rather aperiodic UHD content feeds. NASA's description seems fitting: footage (as opposed to edited or directed programming).

I'm not sure NASA (with the tech assist from Harmonic) met their November 1st deadline.

Reactions: osu1991
i would like to have all the channels that have hd added on dish.
Why? Do you really need access to all of the HSN and Jewelry channels?

Do you not understand that bandwidth is not free and unlimited?

What needs to happen is consolidation of channels, not adding more. I realize that DISH can't unilaterally force this consolidation but it needs to happen.

Reactions: osu1991
We could have a dozen channels replace hundreds if we put all the good content on them and take away repeats and have them in 4K. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.

Reactions: bobvick
We could have a dozen channels replace hundreds if we put all the good content on them and take away repeats and have them in 4K. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.
That'll never happen. Channel owners need to squeeze as much retrans fees out of as many channels with as little (duplicated) content as possible.

Reactions: TheKrell
What the TV manufacturing industry is calling 4K (4 kilopixels) isn't really 4K at all. That's why they originally agreed to call it UHD-1. It is anybody's guess why they have gone back on that decision.

4K originally meant either 4096x2160 or 4096x1716 (for Cinemascope) and I suspect that it is that difference that has limited the amount of UHD content in today's marketplace to mostly content that was shot in UHD rather than true 4K.

You can bet that the OAR crowd will be up-in-arms about cramming 4096 pixel columns into 3180 with all of the interpolation that entails.

There are 4K UHDTVs available that have that ability,just have to know where to look.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65...lack/2698072.p?id=1219555370087&skuId=2698072 :oldwink

That'll never happen. Channel owners need to squeeze as much retrans fees out of as many channels with as little (duplicated) content as possible.
The channel providers don't seem to be at all afraid of duplication. How many different incarnations Law and Order this and Chicago that can NBC run? CBS has wrung a lot out of the NCIS franchise by porting the same issues to different jurisdictions. How many Real Housewives does their need to be before we isolate the formula?

I seems like Starz plays Ash .vs. Evil Dead at least three times a day and HBO does the same with their original series du jour.

Between streaming and DVRs that's a whole lot of overkill.

There are 4K UHDTVs available that have that ability,just have to know where to look.
One or two exceptions are not the rule. The question then becomes how they deal with displaying 3180 columns across 4096 rows. Fortunately, Sony has arrived at a very good solution for a problem that probably won't exist (availability of 4Kx2160 content at the consumer level) in the long run.

What the TV manufacturing industry is calling 4K (4 kilopixels) isn't really 4K at all. That's why they originally agreed to call it UHD-1. It is anybody's guess why they have gone back on that decision.....

Marketing guys didn't sign off on the deal.
:Haha

The public has spoken... they don't think highly of quality.

One or two exceptions are not the rule. The question then becomes how they deal with displaying 3180 columns across 4096 rows. Fortunately, Sony has arrived at a very good solution for a problem that probably won't exist (availability of 4Kx2160 content at the consumer level) in the long run.

Yea after searching all I could turn up was there was some Sony 4K UHDTV's that will do a 4096x2160p display,now I know why my son's Sony 4K UHDTV looks so good,besides having a 1080p setting on his Comcast box.:oldsmile2

Yea after searching all I could turn up was there was some Sony 4K UHDTV's that will do a 4096x2160p display,now I know why my son's Sony 4K UHDTV looks so good,besides having a 1080p setting on his Comcast box.:oldsmile2
Imagine how good it might look if the TV did a single conversion from 1080i to its unconventional matrix versus two conversions; one by the STB to 1080p and another by the TV from 1080p to the TV's unique format. If the intermediate step in the STB improves the overall quality, Sony should fold up their tent and admit defeat at the hands of a lowly cable box.

here is a good question for you guys i contacted netflix today and if you want stream ultra 4k hd you will need 25 mpbs or higher right now our frontier only can up to 7mpbs i bought a new vizio m class ultra 4k tv and i do not know what to do go with mediacom or with dish.what are your experences with frontier can they go to a higher speed.i am just asking these questions.

here is a good question for you guys i contacted netflix today and if you want stream ultra 4k hd you will need 25 mpbs or higher right now our frontier only can up to 7mpbs i bought a new vizio m class ultra 4k tv and i do not know what to do go with mediacom or with dish.what are your experences with frontier can they go to a higher speed.i am just asking these questions.
They should have also told you that you need the Netflix 4 Stream plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts