Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Telesat Completes Agreements for Satellite Capacity with Bell TV and EchoStar Corporation
Bell TV Commits to Construction of New Canadian Broadcast Satellite and EchoStar Will Use Entire Available Nimiq 5 Payload

OTTAWA CANADA, September 17, 2009 – Telesat, the world’s fourth largest fixed satellite services operator, announced today that it has completed agreements for new satellite capacity with two of its key customers, Bell TV and EchoStar Corporation (Nasdaq: SATS).

Bell TV, the leading provider of direct-to-home services in Canada, has agreed to utilize a new Telesat direct broadcast satellite which is planned for construction beginning in the first quarter of 2010. The new satellite will augment Bell TV’s capacity and capabilities at its prime orbital locations of 82 and 91 degrees West. EchoStar, which had previously contracted for half the capacity of Telesat’s new Nimiq 5 satellite, has now committed to use the entire available Nimiq 5 payload for the anticipated 15-year life of the satellite.

“We are very pleased to have entered into arrangements that meet the strategic requirements of Bell TV and EchoStar, two longstanding and important Telesat customers,” said Dan Goldberg, Telesat’s President and CEO. “We look forward to the launch of Nimiq 5 scheduled for later today and beginning construction on the new satellite for Bell TV early next year.”

Nimiq 5 is scheduled for launch on a Proton rocket September 18th from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan (September 17th in Ottawa) and is intended to operate in geostationary orbit from 72.7 degrees West. EchoStar expects to provide capacity from Nimiq 5, which has 32 high-powered Ku-band transponders, to its customer, DISH Network L.L.C., a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation, for the delivery of direct-to-home television services.

I thought DirectTV had leased 16 TPs there (from 72.5) through 2011 or so? Is that saying Dish will indeed be able to access all 32 TPs from day 1?

Man, 32 TPs at 61.5, 32 TPs at 72.7, and 24 at 77 = 88 TPs of space. Compare to the EA with 29 at 110, 21 at 119 and 32 at 129 = 82. 6 extra TPs on the EA side, besides being MPEG4.

I don't think so because if I recall correctly from another post, DirecTV had extended their lease to at least the end of 2010 perhaps longer. Certainly after the DirecTV lease expires, Dish certainly could use all 32 TPs. In regards to EA versus WA, one would expect more TPs dedicated to spotbeams for the EA because of the larger number of DMAs and larger cities in the EA.

I thought DirectTV had leased 16 TPs there (from 72.5) through 2011 or so? Is that saying Dish will indeed be able to access all 32 TPs from day 1?

Man, 32 TPs at 61.5, 32 TPs at 72.7, and 24 at 77 = 88 TPs of space. Compare to the EA with 29 at 110, 21 at 119 and 32 at 129 = 82. 6 extra TPs on the EA side, besides being MPEG4.

You are correct on dates. Directv contract was extended from end of this year to mid 2011 to give them time for transition to new capacity. But, since that contract extension, Directv 12 filed for launch (late this year). It will be taking over duties of Directv 10 (which had undetailed failure soon after launch which limited its full utilization). Perhaps the firm launch of Directv 12 with its increased capacity will allowed them to finish the handoff from the 72W slot. No need to continue leasing space if it is not needed.

The pending license refers to the 16 transponder contract but also includes a clause for use of all 32 transponders so they will be able to use 100 percent of Nimiq 5 from the get go without filing new applicaitons.

Today's news release probably was tied to a 50 pecent clause similar to the Ciel 2 launch. The government would not allow over 50 percent of it to be leased out for foreign use until launch date.

I would think keeping Dish off 16 TPs of space would be reason enough.

Each transponder is probably leasing for something like $200,000 per month (3.2 million per month for the 16) so they probably would like to reduce those costs as soon as possible if they are not needed.

Businesses don't make decisions like 12 year old school girls. The costs of those transponders are probably very significant, as stated above, and it would be much more effective to get out of that lease and use the money elsewhere (or just take it as profit)

How many HD channels does the equal???

Umm, just a observer's guess here:

3-4 per transponder using QPSK 7/8 MPEG2

6-7 per transponder using 8PSK 2/3 MPEG4

Since EA will be going all 8PSK very soon,
I'd say 6-8 HD per transponder times 32 transponders gives 192-256 HD-lite channels.

Double that for SD Channels

Businesses don't make decisions like 12 year old school girls. The costs of those transponders are probably very significant, as stated above, and it would be much more effective to get out of that lease and use the money elsewhere (or just take it as profit)

Sometimes they do.:)

I think the business decision by DirectV would be to spend money to keep Dish from increasing its capacity and gaining a competitive advantage.

Miner

All the previous owners of Direct TV would have done just that. But Malone, although a tough business man, doesn't run his business that way. Plus he and Charlie actually do get-along pretty well. Since Malone has taken control of Direct TV, the cooperation between Direct and Dish, on common concerns, has been surprisingly and significantly better. Both companies have been making their voices head as a duet on many common concerns, in Washington more frequently than before Malone came in. Direct TV seems to have made no effort to hamper Dish getting back into the out of market locals. Considering the fact that it was Rupert Murdoch, Fox Stations, that was the only broadcaster not to agree to the settlement with Dish that would have allowed Dish to keep providing DNS, it was quite a good sign. Even though Malone swooped in and snatched Sirrius/XM, at the behest and engineering of Mel Karmazin, Charlie, known for holding a grudge or two, pubically stated he has no ill feelings about it, and considered the whole matter as just part of business.

Actually businesses do things that are designed to hamper the competition quite often, but it is not a 12 year old schoolgirl mentality. It is a reasoned effective means of driving up the competitions costs even if it costs some many, it is often worth it.

Considering Direct TV's bandwidth, why don't they sell the measly 3 transponders at 110 now providing not that many channels to Dish and come away with a lot money? Because it would help Dish with its current bandwidth crunch on a slot that is core to Dish's service at virtually no cost to Dish beyond the purchase as Dish 500 would immediately be able to receive them. And while Direct has 8 transponders at 119 with a lot of SD LIL's, Direct TV must be quite pleased knowing that they are denying Dish a HUGE, relatively speaking, amount of bandwidth that can be instantly used at no cost on the downlinks as Dish 500 would receive those immediately, as well.

Business, small and big otherwise reputable business have been caught doing worse "12 year old schoolgirl" types of thing, many illegal, than one sat service paying for bandwidth just to deny the competition access to it.

IF DISH uses all 32 transponders in mpeg 4 they could move all their national programming to 72.7 ,like pay per views and the same channels that 110 sat has . Then they could use 77 sat or sats for locals. Especially if they get a new spotbeam sat to replace the older ones up there now. Right now they are doing the same national channels that 119 are doing on only 16 transponders in mpeg 4 , just imagine what 32 trasnponders can do.

Considering Direct TV's bandwidth, why don't they sell the measly 3 transponders at 110 now providing not that many channels to Dish and come away with a lot money? Because it would help Dish with its current bandwidth crunch on a slot that is core to Dish's service at virtually no cost to Dish beyond the purchase as Dish 500 would immediately be able to receive them. And while Direct has 8 transponders at 119 with a lot of SD LIL's, Direct TV must be quite pleased knowing that they are denying Dish a HUGE, relatively speaking, amount of bandwidth that can be instantly used at no cost on the downlinks as Dish 500 would receive those immediately, as well.

Good example of how DirecTV has, indeed, worked to keep bandwidth out of Charlie's hands. 119 I can see DirecTV wanting (actually, I think they have 11 TPs) for internationals and what not, but 110 serves absolutely no purpose to them, but could easily mean 21 HD channels for Dish. Until recently, DirecTV was planning on launching a replacement sat (DirecTV-13) just for those 3 TPs. I certaily see them doing their best to block Dish getting 72.7 even TPs.

However, given the huge leases of Canadian space Dish has, compared to the little Canadian business DirecTV has, I'd say the Canadians might just try to help Dish out.

Good example of how DirecTV has, indeed, worked to keep bandwidth out of Charlie's hands. 119 I can see DirecTV wanting (actually, I think they have 11 TPs) for internationals and what not, but 110 serves absolutely no purpose to them, but could easily mean 21 HD channels for Dish. Until recently, DirecTV was planning on launching a replacement sat (DirecTV-13) just for those 3 TPs. I certaily see them doing their best to block Dish getting 72.7 even TPs.

However, given the huge leases of Canadian space Dish has, compared to the little Canadian business DirecTV has, I'd say the Canadians might just try to help Dish out.

Until recently 110's 3 transponders were used for 9 or 10 of their national HD MPEG2 channels. They still may be using some of it since they still have some MPEG2 HD that they haven't migrated to MPEG4 at 99/103 yet.

Now what D*'s going to do with those in the future hasn't been made public yet, but they could use them for new international SD channels, using MPEG4 they might get 60 to 80 new channels out there. Since they have the license for the transponders and a satellite there it makes no sense to just give them up. But who knows, they could end up selling the licenses to Echostar if they're willing to pay the right amount of $'s to DirecTV.

Umm, just a observer's guess here:

3-4 per transponder using QPSK 7/8 MPEG2

6-7 per transponder using 8PSK 2/3 MPEG4

Since EA will be going all 8PSK very soon,
I'd say 6-8 HD per transponder times 32 transponders gives 192-256 HD-lite channels.

Double that for SD Channels

I thought EA was already all 8PSK/MPEG 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)