Dish Too Big for 110?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I have an old 80cm dish from when I tried FTA. Unfortunately I had two receivers in a row burn out in just a few months and have not tried FTA again recently. However, I am subscribing to just the Superstations from Dishnetwork using an old 18 inch dish pointed at the 119 location. I recently added the Bloomberg channel on an ala carte basis which is from the 110 satellite. Since I had several old SW21 switches I used my 80cm dish with the LNB holder modified to mount a Directv LNB from the flea market which is receiving the 110 satellite at a strength of about 82, compared to 59 for the 119 location.
The set up works great and at very little cost. My question is there any possibility of burning out that LNB due to pointing such a large dish at such a strong satellite? If so, I could start looking for another 18 inch dish at the flea markets. If not, I may as well leave it alone. Thanks.

I really don't think that's likely. Having said that I don't think I've ever "burned out" an LNB. How hot does the LNB get in the afternoon sun? I'd think that's more likely than too much signal.

I have an old 80cm dish from when I tried FTA. Unfortunately I had two receivers in a row burn out in just a few months and have not tried FTA again recently. However, I am subscribing to just the Superstations from Dishnetwork using an old 18 inch dish pointed at the 119 location. I recently added the Bloomberg channel on an ala carte basis which is from the 110 satellite. Since I had several old SW21 switches I used my 80cm dish with the LNB holder modified to mount a Directv LNB from the flea market which is receiving the 110 satellite at a strength of about 82, compared to 59 for the 119 location.
The set up works great and at very little cost. My question is there any possibility of burning out that LNB due to pointing such a large dish at such a strong satellite? If so, I could start looking for another 18 inch dish at the flea markets. If not, I may as well leave it alone. Thanks.

Have no fear....the failures that you had weren't caused by the size of the reflector. Any properly engineered LNB will function, within specs, with any size reflector. If the style of reflector calls for prime focus attachment of the LNB, the sun's heat can have a greater impact on LNB performance. Using off-set mounting minimizes that problem and allows for a smaller reflector to give higher gain, since the LNB doesn't block signal from reaching the surface of the reflector. Old info worth remembering.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts