Dish turbo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jappleboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
IT is fun to get on this site and to ask something . like do we know if Direcv will be getting anything like Dish turbo and if it is a good deal. To the other point how long will it take to it beat up on this site. There are a 1000 Threads and one or 2 lost in thead space on Dish Turbo. I can look at the Threads that are up now and look at the name calling. One guy starts by calling someone a loser. So come on i am ready for the name calling. But please tell me about Dish turbo also.

I am not sure what you want to know with the second part of your post. Name calling is against the rules, and a great way to lose any credibility around here. If a person cant discuss or argue the points, no need in joining in IMHO.

As for the "Dish turbo" question, it would be nice for D* to offer a HD only package, but I doubt you will see it any time soon. Right now they are still adding subs, whereas E* is losing them. Perhaps in the future we will see it, I for one am all for it.

Dish Turbo is the delivery method "I think 8PSK mode Ku band" and the software to decode the down sized mpeg4 HD content.

DirecTVs Ka band full rez mpeg4 HD is much better.:)

Dish Turbo is the delivery method "I think 8PSK mode Ku band" and the software to decode the down sized mpeg4 HD content.

Well the packages are called that too. I was wondering which he was referring to also. In any case, they have used 8PSK for a while now according to many posters, nothing really changed except the snazzy new name

If you are referring to the package, I would doubt it. Right now, there seems to be limited desire for a package without SD channels. While Dish gained some notoriety for the ad, it has proven less than popular with many. Few people swayed by the ad comprehend the channels they would not receive in this package.

It was clever marketing geared towards making people think that getting only HD would mean that all your favorite channels were in HD. This is not the case for most folks. They should call it "we take away hundreds of your favorite channels for a discounted rate." But that doesn't have a good sound to it.

If you are referring to the package, I would doubt it. Right now, there seems to be limited desire for a package without SD channels. While Dish gained some notoriety for the ad, it has proven less than popular with many. Few people swayed by the ad comprehend the channels they would not receive in this package.

It was clever marketing geared towards making people think that getting only HD would mean that all your favorite channels were in HD. This is not the case for most folks. They should call it "we take away hundreds of your favorite channels for a discounted rate." But that doesn't have a good sound to it.

I certainly have a desire, thus I went with HD Absolute. I certainly didn't loose hundreds of my favorite channels. I lost all of 3 channels I watched on a somewhat regular bases. For 1 of those, I can get all I watched on the internet. For me, it was worth the $25 savings. Plus, I gained several higher tier stations. Also, I suspect Dish will eventually get those 3 in HD. DirecTV will not get me as a sub until they can offer comparble prices to the Dish HD only packages.

As for the "turbo" coding, I beleive they implemeted several things related to the DVB-S2 standard. And while the kool-aid drinkers will say different, most say there is not a big defference between Dish HD and Direct HD quality, particularly on more typical sized TVs.

I agree and disagree at the same time. I agree with the part that alot of people didnt realize that SOME channels wouldnt be included.

I disagree with the last part on what you think they should name it instead (joke or not).

What "hundreds" of channels missing would be considered must haves? Most of the major ones are there, based on ratings anyway (and not counting premiums of course, which wouldnt be included outside of add ons anway)

The statement was made sarcastically, of course. I am sure it's a good fit for some people, but they obviously implied that all the channels were in HD as opposed to only giving you HD channels.

Ultimately, the responsibility is with the consumer. Know what you are buying before you buy it and you stand a decent chance of being relatively pleased. With many that complained about Turbo HD, it's like they bought a greatest hits album and then complained that it didn't include their favorite song.

Dish was already using 8psk before the "TurboHD" They did replace the encoders.

The statement was made sarcastically, of course. I am sure it's a good fit for some people, but they obviously implied that all the channels were in HD as opposed to only giving you HD channels.

Ultimately, the responsibility is with the consumer. Know what you are buying before you buy it and you stand a decent chance of being relatively pleased. With many that complained about Turbo HD, it's like they bought a greatest hits album and then complained that it didn't include their favorite song.
Lol, ok just making sure.

I couldnt agree more that its on the consumer to know what you are getting before you buy. Its right there on the website, look it up people.

I still think that dish offers a GREAT value when it comes to HD service with those packages.

Status
Please reply by conversation.