DISH TurboHD vs Verizon FIOS

I have Verizon Fios for my phone and internet. The only thing that kept me from switching was E*'s DVRs (I have four right now, and Verizon would make me share one smallish drive among all the sets....)

My teaser rate expires in 2/10, but if I go the triple play route, I could reset the clock at another 2 years, which I might do.... It depends what E* does by then....

I have Verizon phone service. I also have Cablevision with "Family Cable" and one HD VCR and and Optimum Online Boost internet. In addition I have DishNetwork with three HD VCR's and one 50l VCR. I pay $130 for Cablevision and about $119 for Verizon phone service (two phone numbers). My dish bill is $155.46.

I am thinking of dropping Cablevision and getting the triple play bundle with Verizon Fios and Extreme HD and 20/5 internet. I will get just one HD VCR which I will pair with my 211 and 722 in the living room. I often find myself recording three programs while watching a forth. With this combination I also could record four channels and watch a fifth. The Fios triple play which will include two phone phone numbers (one for Fax) will cost about $152.00. I should save about $100 a month and get more channels through Verizon and faster internet.

I currently get the Everything Pack with Playboy and Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD from Dish. I will probably cut back on some of the channels from Dish depending on what channels I get from Fios. I also have a 622 in the master bedroom.

How is the quality of the Fios internet and phone service. Is there customer support reliable? I scheduled an install for Fios the end of January so I could research Fios further. On my order form, I did not notice any time commitment or "teaser rate". Is there usually a time commitment on the contract?

Last edited:
I've had Fios Phone and Internet since 1/08 and I actually haven't had to call them yet for anything so I can't tell you how good their customer service is.... The installer hit a few snags during the install but by the time he left 2 hours later everything was working.

Occasionally I couldn't get onto XBox live or the internet from my laptop, but a power reset of my hub and router always cleared it up.

There is a 2 yr. commitment to get the discounted rate. I have no idea how high they will jack things up once the two years are up. If E* still can't their act together by then and if Verizon can find a way to record 3-4 shows at once (Monday 8pm to 9pm is logjam of good shows on the networks/ESPN right now) OR give me two boxes, then I might go that way to restart the clock on the discount by upgrading to a triple play...

Verizon is going to be hemorrhaging money like a gashed anemic for quite some time to come.. dont be fooled. When you signed up for VZN with a "price lock for 24 months" it said nothing about the equipemnt .. only the services, and when they say things like "the average FiOS customer now spends $129 a month on service. The telco added that it expects to raise some video programming prices later this year..." it kinda makes you scratch your head... how can a company expect to raise rates on packages that are supposedly frozen?

http://www.tvpredictions.com/forum/index.php?entry=entry080429-052836

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)