Dish TV OR Directv???

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
I wanted to get the opinions of the very knowledgeable and informed members of this board regarding whether to sign up for Dish Network or Directv based upon my own personal likes and dislikes.

First, here are my positives/negatives for Dish Network. POSITIVES: Zero upfront costs on their HD DVR box which I will definitely be needing. A fantastic HD lineup RIGHT NOW, with the promise of adding more HD channels in the future, so not much of a chance of having a poor HD selection. Very good PQ. NEGATIVES: No locals in HD here in Columbus, Ohio with no concrete timeline on when they will be added. No announcements of any kind on whether they will add the new HD versions of HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime as they come out. No ambitious VOD HD plans. Not as good of a sports lineup, BUT, I'm first and foremost a hockey fan and I see no real advantage in either service with regards to hockey.

Positives/negatives for Directv. POSITIVES: My Columbus, Ohio locals are available in HD. HD versions of all the major movie channels WILL be released as they become available. Fantastic sports lineup. Great offer to get free NFL Sunday Ticket in HD. MPEG4 HD quality is very high. NEGATIVES: Having to pay at least $300 in upfront costs to get their HD DVR box and a HD box. This is a HUGE negative to me. Until HD channels are actually there, it's all just words.

One thing that would push me in either direction. To go to Dish, getting my locals in HD. To go to Directv, eliminate the rediculous $300 in upfront costs. Hard to justify such costs to a wife who couldn't care less who are provider is! :)

Thanks for reading this guys, I appreciate any input you might have.

If you aren't opposed the putting up a antenna and get your HD locals OTA. Then you can go with E* to get the HD-dvr with no cost up front.

That's what I was gonna say. Get a low cost rabbit ears antenna and connect it to the receiver and you will have your HD locals.

Well, I have a low cost antenna right now, but it has problems picking up ABC HD and FOX HD, but particularly ABC HD. The other problem is that you can't record 2 local HD channels at one time with this method which is a big problem once the new tv show season begins.

What it will come down to is whether or not you think the sports exclusives are worth pursuing. E*'s movie channel offerings are more comprehensive and cheaper than D*'s.

The other problem is that you can't record 2 local HD channels at one time with this method which is a big problem once the new tv show season begins.
This is a big issue. It seems like I can only find three or four network shows a week to record anymore and you know they have to be on the same night and time slot.

This is a big issue. It seems like I can only find three or four network shows a week to record anymore and you know they have to be on the same night and time slot.

My solution to this problem (I have one 622):
I bought an USB HD tuner (now you get one for $50) and record to my PC. Then remove commercials by running VideoRedo(don't remember the name of the program) and then watch it on TV or projector when I want.

I bought an USB HD tuner (now you get one for $50) and record to my PC. Then remove commercials by running VideoRedo(don't remember the name of the program) and then watch it on TV or projector when I want.

Sounds like a lot of effort to get around a limitation of the 622 and E* not having the HD LIL's.

I like the 622 DVR much better than the one that D* uses. I like the true 30 second skip button and the dual outputs. I have 2 622s and send the second outputs to the kitchen and bedroom. With D* I would need 2 additional receivers. I also use the built-in stereo modulators to send the signal from both outputs of the two 622s to TVs in the bathrooms, spare bedroom, etc. With the D* DVR I would have to buy external modulators and spend extra $$. It is also very handy to to be able to access the recorded programs from each 622 in two different rooms. E* has the DFW HD locals so that is not an issue to me like it is for you. I also have an outdoor OTA antenna which allows me to record 3 channels at the same time on the 622s. I have no interest in the sports packages, so that is a non issue for me. The E* equipment just works much better for my application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk1

Sounds like a lot of effort to get around a limitation of the 622 and E* not having the HD LIL's.

What's the 622 limitation here?

Yep, somehow they DO carry the locals in HD just north of here in Cleveland, but not here in Columbus despite Columbus being the bigger city.

I am waiting on the Columbus locals as we speek. I get all of them OTA fine so I can wait a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts