DISH Unplugged?

SatelliteSolutionsNetwork

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Lutz, FL
I'm trying to find information on DISH Unplugged and am having trouble.

As a retailer, we were informed that DISH Unplugged would be a feature of the Hopper. However, I can't find much information on it, and I read a post from a DIRT member from about a month ago that says it has yet to be released. It's briefly mentioned on the DISH website in reference to the Hopper's features, but they don't give much information on it (movies offered, how to access it, etc.).

At this point, all I know about DISH Unplugged is that movies are/will be stored on the Hopper's hard drive. Anyone have any details about DISH Unplugged, if it's available yet, and how it works?

Since CES there hasn't been any mention of DISH Unplugged, HBO GO on DEMAND or CINEMAX GO on DEMAND.

Since they gave 500 GB of space back to the customers a few weeks ago I can only guess that those ideas were scrapped.

Since CES there hasn't been any mention of DISH Unplugged, HBO GO on DEMAND or CINEMAX GO on DEMAND.

Since they gave 500 GB of space back to the customers a few weeks ago I can only guess that those ideas were scrapped.
Why would HBO GO be scrapped because they reallocated HDD space? HBO GO uses streaming technology. It doesn't require hdd space. It only requires an app, which could be added to the Hopper.

GaryPen said:
That HBO GO is stupid. Why don't they just do it like normal human beings, and add an HBO GO streming app or add it to the regular streaming On Demand menu? Or, does that make too much sense for them?

They specifically said that they were adding it for subs who had Internet connections that were too slow for traditional on demand and streaming content.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

GaryPen said:
Now that that stupid idea is out of the way, it's time to take care of those of us whose bandwidth is just fine for streaming media.

Oh, come on, the two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. And folks who can stream already have a fair amount of on demand options. We can't begrudge those with a slower connection, Dish's effort of providing them content before they make more available to me.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Agreed. An HBO GO and Max GO app would be awesome. So much better than traditional On Demand services offered by both. Sometimes the powers to be are shockingly absent.

As for DISH Unplugged, I mentioned to my ASM at Team Summit that there was absolutely no mention of the service anywhere to be found and he was equally surprised. I think it was quietly scuttled, but I don't see any connection between DISH Unplugged and having an HBO Go and MAX Go app.

The more services they can provide the better. I can't believe there are any rights issues to resolve since DISH already offers the GO services via DISH Online, and DISH customers with a network connected smart tv can download the appropriate app from their manufacturer. However, it's my opinion that DISH should always try to provide the service/app directly through their network connected set top box rather than forcing the customer to find another solution*, and after what I saw the Hopper do at Team Summit, this shouldn't be a problem.

*This is no different than telling DISH subs to get Netflix for AMC programming, which also makes no sense!! Why would you send your customers to a competitor for a solution???

Last edited:
HBO Go app would be great to access the library they have of older shows like the sopranos. Its nice on a iPad or iPhone, but nothing beats watching shows on a regular tv screen

Scott Greczkowski said:
Are you surprised? This IS DISH we are talking about. :D

So true. Either on or off my TV, Dish has been providing more entertainment than anything else here lately! :D

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Oh, come on, the two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. And folks who can stream already have a fair amount of on demand options. We can't begrudge those with a slower connection, Dish's effort of providing them content before they make more available to me.
No they are not exclusive. But, apparently, Dish thinks so, as they were apparently working on one, but not the other. And, now that they have apparently given up on the one, they don't seem to be working on the other.

And, I begrudge stupidity. Working on the more difficult "Unplugged" On Demand product instead of releasing streaming On Demand apps is stupid.

GaryPen said:
No they are not exclusive. But, apparently, Dish thinks so, as they were apparently working on one, but not the other. And, now that they have apparently given up on the one, they don't seem to be working on the other.

And, I begrudge stupidity. Working on the more difficult "Unplugged" On Demand product instead of releasing streaming On Demand apps is stupid.

I'm going to disagree with your first paragraph. As you've laid it out, it doesn't show that Dish was treating those things as mutually exclusive, just that they didn't (and still don't) have immediate plans to add an HBO or Max streaming app.

I can't comment on your second paragraph because there's no way to determine stupidity (based on your criteria of working on the more difficult thing first). First, it's not clear which is more difficult to code and implement. Second, it could be argued that, if you know something is going to be more difficult, you start on it first because it will take more time to develop.

At this point, all I know about DISH Unplugged is that movies are/will be stored on the Hopper's hard drive. Anyone have any details about DISH Unplugged, if it's available yet, and how it works?[/QUOTE]

Dish unplugged just downloads certain VOD movies to the HD to allow instant play. It's available and working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts