Dish VIP 722k Bad Capacitors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jnastasi

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Louisiana
Having gone through the bad capacitor drill last weekend with multiple 722k receivers, I thought I'd pass this information along in the event that it can help someone else.

If you're having problems with your receiver locking up and, like me, own your hardware and prefer to repair it instead of having Dish swap it out for a (refurbished) unit ... this may be of interest.

It looks like the 722k is made in various countries. The three I looked at came from China, India, and Mexico. There's also a lot of variance between the parts that are used. The India receiver had (6) Teapos on board, the Mexico receiver had (4) Teapos, whereas the China receiver had none ... only high quality Nichicons where the Teapos would normally be found. I couldn't nail down a date of manufacture for these three units, but suspect that the China receiver was the newest of the bunch ... and perhaps Dish and/or it's manufacturer has finally wised up in regards to using the Teapos.

India Receiver:
A few years old, this unit was starting to lock up intermittently. We had placed a USB powered laptop cooler underneath, so that probably helped prolong things a bit. On this one all (4) of the 1200uF Teapos were bad ... C194, C202, C211, and C332. Replaced all four along with the smaller 820uF Teapos (C89 and C191).

Mexico Receiver:
This receiver was only in use for six months, and started locking up intermittently. Upon inspection (3) of the 1200uF Teapos were bad ... C194, C202, and C332. Surprisingly C211 looked pretty good. Replaced all four. The smaller 820uF capacitors (C89 and C191) were a different brand ... Jameco maybe? ... so I left them alone.

China Receiver:
This receiver was used for a few years, and never had a problem. Upon inspection there were no Teapos anywhere on the board. Closed it back up and called it a day.

So in summary ... you'll want to replace these:

C194Teapo SJ1200uF6.3v
C202Teapo SJ1200uF6.3v
C211Teapo SJ1200uF6.3v
C332Teapo SJ1200uF6.3v
C89Teapo SY820uF6.3v
C191Teapo SY820uF6.3v

With these...

C194Panasonic FM EEU-FM0J1221200uF6.3v
C202Panasonic FM EEU-FM0J1221200uF6.3v
C211Panasonic FM EEU-FM0J1221200uF6.3v
C332Panasonic FM EEU-FM0J1221200uF6.3v
C89Panasonic FM EEU-FM0J821L820uF6.3v
C191Panasonic FM EEU-FM0J821L820uF6.3v

I think the Digi-Key part numbers are P12341-ND and P12352-ND for the Panasonics listed above. You could go with Nichicons in the alternative ... I've just gotten in the habit of using Panasonics lately.

While this is specific to the 722k, you may find the above to be useful when dealing with other Dish receivers. I hear the 922 series has bad capacitor issues as well.

John

Thank you.

I wonder if similar such posts should be combined and made sticky.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/292584-VIP-722k-No-Boot-problem-fixed covers a bad C194.

For those who have VIP 722K that keeps rebooting and it's not the hard drive, chance's are it's C194 (1200uf 6.3V)
First step to troubleshooting it is disconnect hard drive power and see if it boots, if it does your drive is bad. If it still won't boot look for C194 it's right under hard drive power connector. Mine was exploded towards the board. Took out the main board and replaced cap, put everything back together and it booted right up and has been working perfectly.

Just had to replace the 6 capacitors on a China build 722k today.

Thanks for the info, helped as I might of missed a few that did not look bad at first glance.

Ditto here. Had to replace 4 x 1200uF 6.3V with puffy tops. Before replacing them unit would boot into a vicious cycle with a 981 message, saying it was updating its firmware. After soldering job, it's back in business. Thanks for the info!

Now, I have a second unit. This one is giving me the blinking TV1 and TV2 red lights. I found on it a 2700uF 16V cap that had a puffy top. I figured, after replacing the cap it would be ok. NOT! All else looks normal, both sides of the motherboard.

This unit was running fine until I attempted to format a 2TB HHD using the hidden commands. To begin with, the HDD had been failing to reformat, even under Windows, but according to my 722K, it started to format it. However, it would not complete the formatting. I shut it off and got the two red blinking lights.

I then tried formatting a proper, 500GB HDD that is on the approved list, but it failed to boot with it. I removed it, the lights keep blinking. I think I messed up the NVRAM or the EEPROM.

Any ideas? I've tried waiting for 4 hours, resetting using the button, unplugging, replugging it, using a power cord connected directly to a wall outlet , etc., to no avail.

Is there a way to JTAG this unit? A hardware way to reset it to factory defaults? When DISH accepts dead units, I'm certain that's what they do first.

Thanks for reading!

Ditto here. Had to replace 4 x 1200uF 6.3V with puffy tops. Before replacing them unit would boot into a vicious cycle with a 981 message, saying it was updating its firmware. After soldering job, it's back in business. Thanks for the info!

Now, I have a second unit. This one is giving me the blinking TV1 and TV2 red lights. I found on it a 2700uF 16V cap that had a puffy top. I figured, after replacing the cap it would be ok. NOT! All else looks normal, both sides of the motherboard.

This unit was running fine until I attempted to format a 2TB HHD using the hidden commands. To begin with, the HDD had been failing to reformat, even under Windows, but according to my 722K, it started to format it. However, it would not complete the formatting. I shut it off and got the two red blinking lights.

I then tried formatting a proper, 500GB HDD that is on the approved list, but it failed to boot with it. I removed it, the lights keep blinking. I think I messed up the NVRAM or the EEPROM.

Any ideas? I've tried waiting for 4 hours, resetting using the button, unplugging, replugging it, using a power cord connected directly to a wall outlet , etc., to no avail.

Is there a way to JTAG this unit? A hardware way to reset it to factory defaults? When DISH accepts dead units, I'm certain that's what they do first.

Thanks for reading!
You know, if you'd just keep all your posts on this to a single thread instead of 4 of them, we could better help you. Check this posting where I replied to you days ago:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3521091/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts