Dish Vip Dvr lease fee? Gouging?

Dish raised their price last time big enough to cover two years in advance. so they are getting 2012's price raise already.

never underestimate the price raising ability of charlie
hes got to get some of that money back hes been spending

There are other options than the dual-tuner, dual-output DVRs, like the previously-mentioned 612. 622/722/722Ks are good for people that need TV1 HD and TV2 SD from a single receiver, or the power users that are willing to shell out the cash for the extra features over the 612. For everyone else, including those that complain about the fees, the 612 can be had for $7 less per month and do almost just as much as the others, just on one TV. If you need more than one HDTV with a dual-tuner DVR, just get 2 612s for only $3 more than a single extra 622/722/722K. That's actually a better value than the 622/722/722Ks as then both TVs will have 2 tuners. If you're really bothered by the 612's $10 fee, you can get the single-tuner 211/211K, but it requires a $40 fee to activate the DVR functionality, and at $7 a month, it would actually take over a year to even save any cash over just getting the 612.

EDIT: I failed to mention the $6 DVR fee for the 612. I was assuming that one already has a dual-tuner receiver on their account, and is just adding more. If that is not the case, it would take about 4.5 months in order to start seeing savings with the 211/211K over the 612.

Last edited:
Maybe discussed in past. Many topics are brought up time and again.
We call that trolling. If nothing has changed, there's no reason to start a brand new thread. If you're warned that the thread is old and tired, it is likely the topic is as well.
My form is always excellent.
In your eminently self-righteous and humble opinion. I would disagree as would the authors of the vBulletin software that implemented the feature to try to find an existing thread for your post.

Perhaps you can explain how Michael White is squeezing his average US subscriber by almost $17 more than Charlie is if not by charging higher fees?

really? dont notice it on my account. when all my credits are used up i will be @ 7 a month more
and i will have 1 more receiver and mrv

I fully understand seeing the fees and thinking they are out of line. Wrong, but I understand. :D Bringing it up again is what this forum is for I guess, but the answers will be the same.

Bottom line, Dish prices when all is said and done are very competitive, they are still less then Direct in many cases, about the same in some, and with many DVR's in a household perhaps a little more. As was mentioned their pricing structure may be the best of anyone for those that can not spend much. With programming somewhat less, and most channels in HD, those that do not need more than one receiver will usually pay much less for more. Even those with two receivers will usually pay less.
(I never count special incentives that end favoring Dish or not)

This is the same as comparing phone companies and picking on one feature that is more, but overlooking everything else. I could have had Sprint and spent less, of course also not have a signal many times. I could have had Verizon, at the time spent less on internet access, but would have to spend more for more minutes, because we would lose the most important feature of how we use our phones - Rollover minutes with AT&T. So when I see these threads I pretty much discount the complaint unless the person understands one feature price means nothing. Of course it would be great if fees were less, but do you really think programming would not cost more?

Ya know, I do hate the extra fees for additional receivers. That being said, it's still a bargain compared to extra receiver costs for some other providers in my area. Some examples (I'm not including DirecTV as we already all know their pricing):

DISH:
First receiver FREE unless it's a DVR box, then $6.00
ADDITONAL receiver only box: $7.00
ADDITIONAL solo dvr: $10.00
ADDITIONAL duo dvr: $17.00

VERIZON FIOS:
EACH dvr box (including the first): $15.99 per month, or $19.99 if you want to be able to stream DVR programs to regular receivers.
EACH receiver box (non-DVR) including the first: $9.99 per month.
EACH "dumb box" (no tv guide, etc.) including the first: $4.99 per month

CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS:
EACH DVR BOX: $16.99 per month including the first
EACH HD RECEIVER: $10.99 per month including the first
EACH SD RECEIVER: $5.99 per month including the first
ANALOG ONLY / QAM SERVICE (only 32 channels available): Free if you plug it into a capable tv yourself.

OPTIONS FOR CHARTER / FIOS: TIVO -- $99 purchase fee, $19.99 per month thereafter.

And let's not forget that, on top of these fees, the cost of programming (especially after the short-term discounts are over):

DISH:
$59.99 -- Top 200 with HD.

CHARTER (with only 35 HD channels!):
Expanded Basic DIGITAL SERVICE (including mandatory on demand fee): $69.99
HD Access Service fee: $5.00
Digital View (equivalant to Top 200): $5.00
TOTAL COST: $79.99 per month.

VERIZON FIOS:
Prime HD (about same as Top 120): $59.99 before bundling, or $79.99 for TV and internet (internet value is about $35, so make that $44.99).
Extreme HD (about same as Top 200): $74.99 before bundling, or $94.99 for TV and internet (again, if internet is valued at $35, make it $59.99)

harshness said:
We call that trolling. If nothing has changed, there's no reason to start a brand new thread. If you're warned that the thread is old and tired, it is likely the topic is as well.In your eminently self-righteous and humble opinion. I would disagree as would the authors of the vBulletin software that implemented the feature to try to find an existing thread for your post.

Once again this forum is open to discuss
Issues regarding anything Satelite and more.
Whoever you are I'm not appreciating your
Name calling. Trolling.
I enjoy dish but I'm stating a fact that their dvr fees are high.

You have the right to disagree.
I'm cool with that.

Keep it nice and stop the name calling.
It's not necessary.

Okay, well if this thread is so bad then the staff will move/delete/lock it. Would the pseudo-staff please pipe down...

I agree (and this comes from a staff member) :)
It seems some people woke up on the wrong side of the tracks today and apparentlyu would rather attack or "troll" instead of either helping folks or better yet just ignoring the thread.
So what if someone posts a complaint about the fees? Didnt know it was illegal to talk about it or better yet lets bring up a 2 year old thread about it :rolleyes:

Iceberg said:
I agree (and this comes from a staff member) :)
It seems some people woke up on the wrong side of the tracks today and apparentlyu would rather attack or "troll" instead of either helping folks or better yet just ignoring the thread.
So what if someone posts a complaint about the fees? Didnt know it was illegal to talk about it or better yet lets bring up a 2 year old thread about it :rolleyes:

Thanks ice
I could not have said it any better.

I enjoy dish but I'm stating a fact that their dvr fees are high.

Not really a fact. Others have given examples Dish is not really out of line with the market. It seems like a big jump when adding the second DVR, but if you look at the average of the two receivers it's not all that bad.

Gouging? It's hard to claim "gouging" when there are so many other options. With Dish itself there were two less expensive DVR options, and unless your rural, probably have two or three other providers to choose from.

I don't consider the thread trolling, and hope this doesn't come across as too negative, I just don't agree with the premise.

Dish should be giving a price break to those of us who have bought our equipment. Dish is not subsidizing anything in our case.

yes, yes, and yes..... still have to pay a fee for each one after spending $$$$$$ on receivers. that's just not right, but here we are. there are reasons.

Not really a fact. Others have given examples Dish is not really out of line with the market. It seems like a big jump when adding the second DVR, but if you look at the average of the two receivers it's not all that bad.

Gouging? It's hard to claim "gouging" when there are so many other options. With Dish itself there were two less expensive DVR options, and unless your rural, probably have two or three other providers to choose from.

I don't consider the thread trolling, and hope this doesn't come across as too negative, I just don't agree with the premise.

Well said. I can live with that. Disagree with class, cool.
Everyone has their own take.

I know they all charge a dvr fee. I guess where it adds
up is on the two tuner dvrs. You basically get dinged twice.

Still does not sit right with me. If both tuners put out HD
signal that would be better.

But its all a choice. Im still going to pay to have the service I want.
Its still excessive at 17 bucks. I think 10 would be more in line.
5 bucks for 612. Wishful thinking I know.

I guess where it adds up is on the two tuner dvrs.
You would do well not to carelessly confuse the number of satellite tuners and the number of TVs served. All new DISH Network DVRs have two satellite tuners.
You basically get dinged twice.
If you lease two TVs worth of DVRs from anyone else they charge you for two. How is paying less than double the price for a second TV a bad thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)